Teamsters Making Moves on American Mechanics

brokenwrench

Senior
Oct 27, 2006
www.amfadelta.com
Any truth to this?

Meanwhile, management at American could have another union headache brewing.

I think there's no question that the airline and its mechanics have tried hard to work together in an effort to both save the airline money, and preserve jobs.

The mechanics are currently represented by the TWU.

You may also know that AMFA has been trying to grab this representation for years. And years. But it has never been successful in cracking the TWU nut.

Well, we now have a new player in town and it's the Teamsters. From what I hear, they are putting a massive very well-financed move on the mechanics in an attempt to force a representational election.

Given the dynamics going on here, the Teamsters could have a good shot at getting an election called -- and maybe winning.

Well financed is probably an overstatement, but the rest seems to tie with what's been said here.

I'm still waiting for something official from the Teamsters. If they want, they could get FSC's, and stores too without much trouble,

My Teamsters card has been signed and in a envelope for a short while now just waiting to be mailed. Let's get moving and get the TWU the hell off the premises.

Time For Change is long overdue

Anyone is better than the Lapdogs we have now. Send Me A Card PLEASE

If this is in fact true get in touch with me and I will take care of the Card signing in MIA and LGA

What is interesting to me is how many anti-AMFA TWU supporters in Tulsa have already signed these Teamster Cards. We always thougt is took money, distribution rights, and organizational structure. All it really takes is BBQ sandwhiches and $50 Gift Cards in exhange for massive concessions.

Dennis Burchette and Kevin Hammack are the two of the best damn dual unionism organizers I have ever seen.

Line Mechanics should dispense with waiting for "official" word from the Teamsters, unless you want Burchette and the TWU negotiating your next labor agreement, you best get them signed and mailed.

Quit bitching and waiting and instead sign, collect, and mail your cards next week.

Who cares who is in charge? Who cares who gets credit for removing the TWU? Just give up the signed cards and they will file. Learn from the Pilots and Flight Attendants at AA and get the hell out of the company union.

Not applicable. The IBT is no longer AFL-CIO affiliated.
Well actually even if the IBT was in the AFL-CIO there are conditions where raiding has been permitted, such as when one union is leading the industry in concessions which forces other unions to do the same. (I believe the AFL-CIO authorized an IBT raid if an IAM property for that reason a few years back) That has been the case with the TWU for 20 years.

If we build a case against the International about how they have been in bed with the company then other unions, even those within the AFL-CIO are likely to stay out of this.

The fact is when I talk to people from other unions they are shocked at what the TWU does. Their latest efforts at endorsing a speedup in conjunction with massive concessions and job eliminations leaves them dunbfounded.

The evidence is overwhelming that the TWU and AMR are in cahoots, I would expect nothing but a token objection from the AFL-CIO.

I believe they still are at the state level. Will have to find out.
Yes but the International would be the one to call for an organizing campaign.

I spoke to a representative of a Local in the NY area, Carey country. They were not happy withthe split and remained in the state AFL-CIO. When I explained to him what we went through he kept asking why we couldnt just vote out the International reps responsible, he too was dumbfounded at what he heard.

The fact is the IBT allowed those Locals who wished to remain active in State AFL-CIO chapters to do so. Unlike the TWU the IBT has democracy, true it needs a little work, but watchdog groups within the IBT such as TDU keep the IBT from becoming anything like the TWU, where management from AMR runs the union.

So how about it Bill, strength in numbers, 100,000 vs over 1,000,000. Who has more clout? What could the TWU possibly offer that the IBT couldnt match 10 times over?

$45/hr aircraft mechanics at UPS-IBT, SWA contract-best in the passenger airline industry-according to some another IBT accomplishment.

Who would be willing to take on AMR? Jim Little, son in law of AA management, one time member of management himself until he realized that phony degrees wouldnt get him very far, the head of a little union where 60% of their biggest division come from AMR? Not likely.

We should go with the Teamsters with the purpose of it being the first step towards uniting the whole industry into one union. The fact is they have the resources to make this a reality. There is no valid arguement against this idea. Even Sonny Hall, when confronted with this idea said that it makes sense, but he was not willing to go forward with it.

So what about it Bill, would you sign for unity or choose to stay on a path that has without doubt been a complete failure for airline workers? Are you willing to consider workers at UAL, SWA, Continental and USAIR our brothers or as someone who we will try to beat by selling ourselves for less and less in a race to the bottom?

We need to speak to the airlines as one.

Whether this pans out or not we should plan to make a move, and do it soon. When I spoke to the IBT they were more interested in just the mechanics, I guess they see the repeated AMFA drives as evidence of discontent, I kept explaining that other workers were just as discontented but they had no options, if the Teamsters solicited, they would sign in droves.

If the IBT doesnt make a move real soon then perhaps we should try to form an entirely new union or perhaps appeal to a union from Europe for help. Imagine that, a real "International Union" to tangle with multinational corporations. The Airlines have had the ATA for decades, we would have something that could compete.

What is interesting to me is how many anti-AMFA TWU supporters in Tulsa have already signed these Teamster Cards. We always thougt is took money, distribution rights, and organizational structure. All it really takes is BBQ sandwhiches and $50 Gift Cards in exhange for massive concessions.

Dennis Burchette and Kevin Hammack are the two of the best damn dual unionism organizers I have ever seen.

Line Mechanics should dispense with waiting for "official" word from the Teamsters, unless you want Burchette and the TWU negotiating your next labor agreement, you best get them signed and mailed.

Quit bitching and waiting and instead sign, collect, and mail your cards next week.

Who cares who is in charge? Who cares who gets credit for removing the TWU? Just give up the signed cards and they will file. Learn from the Pilots and Flight Attendants at AA and get the hell out of the company union.
WE'RE STILL WAITING FOR OUR $50 GIFT CARDS HERE AT DFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is Tulsa using the online version of the card, or do they have real cards?