Tempe changes it's mind again.......

missthe727

Senior
Dec 19, 2006
OK...While I think it's a good idea for those who won't be able to pay their bills to be able to leave early, I can't believe that Tempe didn't think about that in the first place when the PIT base closing was announced...not that they would care because they don't have to turn on the heat out there and pay gas bills except for perhaps one month per year.
However, not thinking about what the base closure would cover and not looking at it from all angles is just another showing of their ineptitude....

From PIT's Latest E-Line:
It is important to realize the amount of reduction in January block time.
There will be only 27 blocks or 81 primary lineholders. It is difficult to predict the amount of secondary lines but it will probably be less than 20.

We normally average a combined total of 210 primary and secondary lineholders with 110 reserves. In January we will have a total of 100 lineholders and 220 reserves. This would indicate that 220 PIT flight attendants will only receive a 73 hour reserve guarantee and about 100 of the 220 January reserves have not been on reserve for 30 years there have been a few changes). The company has offered a VPLOA for January and February in PIT and will offer an unknown amount of TDY to provide an opportunity to earn extra income. Wednesday evening the Company said they would permit up to 50 volunteers to be displaced processed in seniority order to their new domiciles in January. This was in response to the concerns voiced by flight attendants of the inability to pay their bills or make a mortgage payment with only a 73 hour paycheck.

If it is imperative your financial needs require more than a 73 hour paycheck I would urge you to request a January displacement. February's plans currently call for only a couple of blocks depending on pilot training. With a planned displacement of 200 flight attendants for February this will leave anywhere from 50 to 100 reserves with only 6 lineholders. Anyone volunteering for a January displacement will not have any of their contractual rights diminished. This displacement will be accomplished with only volunteers.

In unity,

Mark Gentile
President, Council 40

OK...While I think it's a good idea for those who won't be able to pay their bills to be able to leave early....
However, not thinking about what the base closure would cover and not looking at it from all angles is just another showing of their ineptitude....

..........This was in response to the concerns voiced by flight attendants of the inability to pay their bills or make a mortgage payment with only a 73 hour paycheck.

If it is imperative your financial needs require more than a 73 hour paycheck I would urge you to request a January displacement.
In unity,

What a bunch of bull sh!T!!!!

What about all of the reserves in PHL that HAVE BEEN TRYING TO LIVE ON A 73 HOUR PAYCHECK???????????????????????????

Again, this is just an example of B/H greed!!!!!!

That means 50 people that would have held blocks in PHL will lose them a month earlier giving them ONLY A 73 HOUR PAYCHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twice, and the Merry Go Round keeps twirling! Shifting of the #### so to speak. Now people are concerned about flight attendants only making 73 hours? Oh Mark, thanks for caring! Glad it will be one less vote on the MEC soon.

Not pay the bills? Turn the heat off? Everyone in PIT is far beyond topped out, and it's relatively cheap to live there. Try getting by on $1200 a month in Philadelphia. Give me a break.

And to top if off, thye are offering no VPLOA's for January in PHL. Inflight management does not give a s---t about the lives of us junior reserves. Everyone should email the higher ups in Inflight Management and insist they offer VPLOA's for Jan. I don't know why I give two hoots, I am sure I will be displaced out of PHL in Feb for March anyway.

And the arrogance of Mark Gentile. AFA has never cared about people like me how are single parents and have to survive on a 73 hour pay check on B scale. Now you can add probably 150 more people on reserve with the same issues. We can't just sit back and do nothing.

Put'em Put'em Up! LLLLLLWUF LLLLLLLLLWUF! :rolleyes: Come on everyone, complaining on here isn't going to be the catalyst for change. Pick up the phone and call your elected AFA officers or email them. If every AFA member reading this called and then had 2 friends call/email, it would be a tidal wave. Turn up the heat!
View attachment 6741

For the union to go back and work out a deal that benefits only the PIT FAs and tosses the rest of US under the bus in unexcusable.

I feel equally bad for all FAs that are going to get displaced as a result of the PIT base closing. I feel equally sorry for all the FAs that have to live with this horrid reserve system. I do not however feel bad for a 30 year FA that might have to do 1 month of reserve. Sorry, but my give a d**n is busted on that one.

Zarah is usually the calm and reasonable one around here- even she's over it!

Zarah, I am with you 100%. I have been fighting the fight for longer than I care to remember. Enough is enough.
Calm and reason Zarah is. I am just colorful Bernice Clifton that entertains once in a while :lol:

Is this thing on? Tap Tap Tap.... Paging Debbie Downer Paging Debbie Downer (TravelPro) Please Report to Thread "Tempe Changes it's Mind Again", Debbie.
She is on date night tonight I think. :eek: Which reminds me. :huh: Can't wait for mine. :p

I am curious about something. What is about USAirways' reserve system that allows for flight attendants not to fly? It seems rather inefficient. Reserves at United usually have no trouble flying 80-90 hrs, depending on what month it is in the quarter. Based upon my observations on this board, US reserve F/A's seem to not get any hours. Why is that?

The title of this thread is Tempe Changes Its Mind Again...

How can Tempe change its mind if it doesn't have one to change in the first place? Rio Salado is nothing but a bunch of prepubescent Jim Jones, er, I mean Dougweisier followers looking for more grape Kool Aid. I wonder if the Betty Ford Clinic has a treatment program for Kool Aid addicts?

I am curious about something. What is about USAirways' reserve system that allows for flight attendants not to fly? It seems rather inefficient. Reserves at United usually have no trouble flying 80-90 hrs, depending on what month it is in the quarter. Based upon my observations on this board, US reserve F/A's seem to not get any hours. Why is that?

For the 9th of November in the PHL base, over one hundred F/As have not worked yet this month. Another 150 or so have flown 5 hours. Stopped counting there but you get the idea...

Perhaps one of the union reps, Carol Austin perhaps, can explain the system for everyone, why it's so different than any other airline? Please be sure to explain the bid sheet and such as well.

Carol? Where are you Carol? How is the weather out there in San Diego- you know, where you can really keep your finger on the pulse of US Airways (east), a primarily short haul east coast airline.