Tentative Agreement with APA, APFA, TWU

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
Doug Parker did in a couple of weeks what Horton and Arpey couldn't do in six years...

Just filed with the SEC on an 8-K:
Item 7.01. Regulation FD Disclosure.

On April 20, 2012, US Airways Group, Inc. (the “Company”) announced that it had reached agreements for collective bargaining agreements that would govern the American Airlines employees represented by the Transport Workers Union, Association of Professional Flight Attendants and Allied Pilots Association.

The effectiveness of these agreements is contingent upon a business combination involving the Company and AMR Corporation, the parent of American Airlines, in connection with the pending bankruptcy case of AMR Corporation. No agreement for that business combination has been reached.

US Airways announced that it had reached agreements for collective bargaining agreements that would govern the American Airlines employees

Click here to read the story.

REPORT: US Airways Announces Plans To Take Over American Airlines

Click here to read the story.

US Airways Holds Ace in AMR Merger Scenario

Clcik here to read the story.

Signed Agreements with Three Unions at American Airlines: An Important Message from CEO Doug Parker: April 20, 2012

Dear Fellow Employees –

Today, we filed a statement (a form called an 8-K) with the Securities and Exchange Commission disclosing that we have signed agreements with the three unions that represent nearly 55,000 American Airlines employees. These unions are the Allied Pilots Association (APA), the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) and the Transport Workers Union (TWU), which represents all of American Airlines’ mechanics and fleet service employees. Shortly after our disclosure, these three unions issued a public statement announcing their support of a US Airways-American Airlines merger and that they have agreed to terms that would govern collective bargaining agreements for their members at the merged airline. I want to explain to you why we have done this and what it means.

First of all, today’s news does not mean we have agreed to merge with American Airlines. It only means we have reached agreements with these three unions on what their collective bargaining agreements would look like after a merger, and that they would like to work with us to make a merger a reality. To get to an actual merger, many more things must happen including gaining the support of AMR’s creditors, its management team and its Board of Directors. But this is obviously an important first step along that path and we are hopeful we can all work together to make this happen.

All of you have heard me talk about the benefits consolidation has created for US Airways and our industry. You have also heard me say that US Airways does not need to merge with anyone, as evidenced by our team’s outstanding results. That is still the case, but after studying American Airlines’ current state and their future plans, we have concluded that a merger with American, while they are undergoing their bankruptcy restructuring, represents a unique opportunity that we should not ignore. These beliefs are shared by the three American labor unions and we are delighted to have their support. Like us, they recognize the potential of a merger to improve the current and future careers of both airlines’ employees.

Combining American Airlines and US Airways would create a preeminent airline with the enhanced scale and breadth required to compete more effectively and profitably. Our intention would be to put our two complementary networks together, maintaining both airlines’ existing hubs and aircraft, and create an airline that could compete successfully with United, Delta and other carriers within our industry. A merged airline would provide competitive, industry-standard compensation and benefits, as well as improved job security and advancement opportunities for all employees of the combined airline. Most importantly, in American’s standalone strategy, over 13,000 employees at American will lose their jobs. Our merger contemplates saving at least 6,200 of these positions. For the US Airways team, the agreements we have reached with the unions representing employees at American would also provide enhancements to the compensation and benefits currently in place here.

Today is one step in what will be a much longer process. For now, it remains business as usual. We must continue to provide the outstanding service that customers have come to expect from US Airways.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, please stay connected via Wings (www.wings.usairways.com) and we will continue to provide updates on our progress. Thanks for all that you continue to do to take care of our customers. Together, whether a merger is our future or not, we will continue to run a great airline and have a bright future ahead of us.

Sincerely,

Doug

In a way, he simply announced promises to the unions. One day one those are simply thrown out the door. Want a good example, check the current status of contracts open. Its gotten to be ridiculous.

I'm convinced that AA's three unions (and most of their members) do not seriously want to combine with US; instead, it's viewed by them as their best remaining leverage to attempt to persuade Horton to relent on some of the more onerous 1113 proposals. I think Parker is being played.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm convinced that AA's three unions (and most of their members) do not seriously want to combine with US; instead, it's viewed by them as their best remaining leverage to attempt to persuade Horton to relent on some of the more onerous 1113 proposals. I think Parker is being played.

That would be an extremely risky move, because Horton instead of sweetening the deal could say, well screw you, and make it much worse for the unions, but more enticing to the other players.

As a 21 year member of apfa I do want to combine with usair. I want those current management scumbags GONE! I also read usairs proposal to the Apfa and I like a lot what I see. I will never trust the current managers at Aa and I am more then willing to give the benefit of doubt to Parker. AA overplayed their cards and now THEY are the ones getting furloughed!

Reactions: 2 people
Dude , the actual merger announcement saying that Doug Parker is now CEO of AA could come out and you still would not believe it . Get over yourself . This is actually happening . The only person being played here is Tom Horton .

Reactions: 1 person
As a 21 year member of apfa I do want to combine with usair. I want those current management scumbags GONE! I also read usairs proposal to the Apfa and I like a lot what I see. I will never trust the current managers at Aa and I am more then willing to give the benefit of doubt to Parker. AA overplayed their cards and now THEY are the ones getting furloughed!

+1

Reactions: 1 person

Yes, that's it. Take the time to read the APA letter to the membership and what they had to say. They feel that the plan that Parker presented them with was their best option to grow the airline, and secure peoples futures with a COMBINED US route system.
Horton may have some room to improve on his original offer, but there are some things that he just can't offer. The APA leadership comes right out and states that they had been meeting with US for over a month, and that they had a variety of consult involved. I doubt that they would have gone to this extent just to "Play" Parker against Horton. It sounds like they weren't buying his big
"cornerstone" strategy anymore.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/major/66828-us-airways-agrees-apa.html

Scroll down to read Dave Bates letter to the membership, then get back to me....

Oh dear. YOu don't really think that things will change if US merges with AA, do you? You are simply trading your "current management scumbags" for a set of the same, but with tans!

You like what you see? Try getting our management scumbags to live up to their agreements. The US pilots have over 400 grievances in their backlog. And that's just the pilots! At the rate they are being resolved due to management's intransigence, a 23-year old new hire pilot will be retired before the backlog is resolved. Given that most go to arbitration, and each arbitration takes six months or more, then even if two are three were heard concurrently, well....you do the math.

Have a conversation with any US flight attendant. Do you think there is a reason that 90% of them just voted down the company's contract offer by a 50% margin? That's right, 90% voter turnout with 75% to 25% telling them to stick it. And this after 5 years of negotiations!

There's something funny in that smoke that Parker is blowing up your keister. Hope you sober up before it's too late.

Reactions: 5 people
Oh dear. YOu don't really think that things will change if US merges with AA, do you? You are simply trading your "current management scumbags" for a set of the same, but with tans!

You like what you see? Try getting our management scumbags to live up to their agreements. The US pilots have over 400 grievances in their backlog. And that's just the pilots! At the rate they are being resolved due to management's intransigence, a 23-year old new hire pilot will be retired before the backlog is resolved. Given that most go to arbitration, and each arbitration takes six months or more, then even if two are three were heard concurrently, well....you do the math.

Have a conversation with any US flight attendant. Do you think there is a reason that 90% of them just voted down the company's contract offer by a 50% margin? That's right, 90% voter turnout with 75% to 25% telling them to stick it. And this after 5 years of negotiations!

There's something funny in that smoke that Parker is blowing up your keister. Hope you sober up before it's too late.

Read their contract proposal to the American airlines flight attendants and then we will talk.

So not only might the AA unions be playing Doug Parker, but Doug Parker may be playing AA's unions?

You do not take a gun out if you are not willing to shoot. I think they will go all the way. This is due to the AA intransigent position.

Oh, you are so naive. It would be cute if it weren't so tragic.

Dude, I,ve worked for American Airlines for 21 years and can assure you I am anything but naive. I have been on strike, endured pay cuts, and i've seen management lie directly to me. I,m sure the union leaders are not naive either but thanks for your concern.

Latest posts