Terror Over Washington!

the turtle

Advanced
Mar 7, 2003
Passengers Recount Moments of Dread Over Dulles

By Michael Laris and Katherine Shaver
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, November 11, 2003; Page B01

The passengers sitting next to each other in Row 11 thought they were going to die yesterday afternoon after a voice from the cockpit of US Airways Flight 696 informed them they would be making an emergency landing at Washington Dulles International Airport.

The flight from Fort Myers, Fla., was headed for Reagan National Airport but was diverted after a cockpit warning light indicated problems with the landing gear, airline and airport officials said.

The Boeing 737 landed safely. The problem turned out to be the warning light and not the landing gear, the airline said. But many of the roughly 130 passengers on board were sure they were on their last flight.

Several passengers said the flight crew told them the landing gear on the right side of the plane was stuck. They said they were instructed to brace themselves, with arms crossed against the seat backs and heads down. That was the way they landed.

Kindergarten teacher Rose Scotto, who was in 11F, one of the window seats, said she sobbed and prayed as flight attendants taught her how to open the row's emergency door. "They told us our wing would probably scrape," said Scotto, who was en route from Naples, Fla., to Hartford, Conn. Her sister, who was traveling in first class, tearfully tried to get back to say goodbye but was told to stay seated. "I envisioned the plane cartwheeling," said Rose Scotto's sister, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

John S. Rovani, an investment bankerfrom Arlington County who was sitting in 11D, had just closed a big deal. He said he called the office on one of the plane's phone to make sure his family would get his commission if he was killed. Then he called his wife. " 'It doesn't look too good,' " he remembered telling her. " 'I called the office. You'll get the check. I love you. Hug the kids.' " She offered to stay on the phone with him, but he said he needed to concentrate on whatever was going to happen next.

Rovani tried to get the attention of Bob Levering of Chevy Chase, a math teacher at Green Acres School who was sitting in 11E, flying back from his mother's 80th birthday party in Florida. Levering was meditating, as he usually does on takeoffs and landings.

"I was as worried as I get," Levering said. "They said, 'There may be fire outside, so don't open the door. Look first!' " Levering said.

Several passengers said the pilot circled Dulles a few times before touching down on the left-side landing gear. They said that crew members told them the idea was to hit the tarmac with the gear on the left side to jolt the right gear loose. After that, the pilot took the plane up and came back around for a landing, they said.

US Airways spokesman David Castelveter said the pilot did not perform such a touch-and-go landing.

A light in the cockpit had alerted the pilot to problems with the landing gear, Castelveter said. The pilot diverted to Dulles, where the longer runways allow more room for a plane with landing problems. The pilot flew by the Dulles control tower, where air traffic controllers could see that the landing gear was completely down, Castelveter said. The landing gear never malfunctioned, he said.

"He did not do a touchdown," said Castelveter, who said he spoke with the pilot. "He did a flyby, learned that the landing gear was down and landed normally."

Rovani, who worked in the airline industry for nine years, was among several passengers who said the plane touched down once before heading back around for a landing.

Passengers said they were unsure until the final touchdown that the landing gear was indeed locked into place.

Levering was traveling with his sister, Barbara Levering, an employee at the Social Security Administration who lives in Alexandria and was sitting in first class, apart from her brother.

She had helped get pillows together to cushion the impact on the children in the flight if the gear never came down and the plane had to attempt a landing anyway.

"It was eerie hearing babies crying and thinking that's the last thing you are going to hear."

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

The Washington Post Company should be ashamed of themselves. Talk about OVER DRAMATIZING a situation. Instead of praising the flight crew for their professionalism, they are talking about some guy that wants him commission check? :down:
This is pure drivel from the Washington Post and sounds more like some B rated movie script from 1974. I am glad everyone involved is OK and the plane landed safely. I hope CCY is reading this and has CORP. COMMUNICATIONS issue a statement REAMING the Washington Post a new hole. Also, Dave should call the Washington Post personally and tell them to grow up and learn to report the facts... not movie scripts.

How embarrassing for the Post! They call that news?????????????!!!!!!!!

The writer should be suspended and the paper should print an apology.

Shame on them!

USAirBoyA330 said:
The Washington Post Company should be ashamed of themselves. Talk about OVER DRAMATIZING a situation.
That's EXACTLY how they sell papers.

I believe that some of you forget the obvious. I have never seen an Airline be so unprepared to work with the Media (print & TV). Some of the coverage is not what it should be, however most of it IMHO is because USAir & Airways hate the media and have never cultivated the necessary relationships. It's called Corporate Arrogance!

This has gone on for years and there is no end to it. Most of the press are not idiots. They see how bad the Employees are treated too.

Shame on the Post!! No matter how hard and how well they train us it is never good enough in the eyes of the media. I'm sure those bozos would flunk out of initial ground training, they are clueless!

Back in 1984, I was on a DC9 going IND-SDF-BWI. Everything was routine until we got closer to BWI, I kept seeing the same scenery. Then an FA cameback to where I and a few other non revs were sitting and asked to take the seats in the exit row. We soon learned that an warning light indicated that the nose gear may not be down.. He did a fly by and was told by the tower that his gear was down. We braced for an emergency landing and I remember seeing the BWI fire dept vehicles lined up adjacent to the runway. It turned out to be a routine landing.Throughout the ordeal, there were no hysterical psgrs, no crying, everyone remained calm and followed the FA's instructions. The IAD incident was probably not much different. However, the POST sees a need to sensationalize. I'm sure the investment banker will be the first to file a lawsuit.

It's tough for me to defend the Washington Post in general, but I think the critical posters in this thread are ignoring that the article is mostly made up of quotes from our passengers and customers. Very little editorial comment, assumption or slanting... in my opinion. It appears to this reader that the critical posts are therefore attacking what our passengers stated to the press, and the press for reporting what they said!

It's easy to dismiss their fears from the safety of your grounded computer desk, but when one is making an emergency landing approach, the fear in the air is very real and naturally one does assume the worst, and plan survival actions. Was it melodramatic for the gentleman to call his wife, I don't think so.

I think it's very insensitive to denigrate the passenger's feelings and the article as sensationalizing. Everything about flying is sensationalized, always has been. It's simply because it affects YOUR industry in general, and our company in particular, that folks here are upset. Let's hope you never have to experience what these people did.

The attacks about reporting the story reflect the same arrogance and inability to emphathize with others as reflected by the management of U. Pack mentality is an ugly thing, I think if you thought of this as how you as an individual would feel in this situation, you might have a different outlook. Put yourself in their seats and think about the possibility of an imminent disaster. How would you feel?

I do tend to agree with the poster who stated this company's corporate arrogance makes it very unpopular with the media. Therefore, its natural to assume, that given any opportunity, the media loves to stick it to us. Almost everyone is coming to hate this franchise. That's very disheartening, but becoming more obvious with each stupid move of the regime.

Ok, "shoot the messenger" ;) :blink:

I took it upon myself to blast The Post via the phone and email. They couldn't care less and told me to look for a followup piece in The Post on WED.
Can't wait for Terror Over Washington Strikes Back :down:

Puleeese what pathetic drivel! Once in WWII we were flying at 30 k feet two turning and two burning, fuel was running low as well as our fifty cal ammo, when suddenly we saw an me262 straffing in from above--------

PURE TRASH!!!!! :down:

Dilligas -

Excellent post and thanks for the different prospective on things. Personally, I have experienced a similar incident and can relate to the feelings of customers and crew. It is traumatizing and you need to respect people for their feelings.

That said, if this incident was a WN flight rather then a US flight, would the reporting have been any different. I say absolutely. If the article were about a WN flight there would have been nothing but positive spin about how quickly they responded to the customer needs, how concerned they are about their customers well being, what provisions were made for the customers, etc. Instead, our Mr Castelveter wants to debate whether or not the Captain did a touch and go with the reporter.

Attention CCY - WAKE UP ALREADY! Perhaps it is time we find a new PR guy for our Corporate Communications Department. Our corporate response to these types of incidents is deplorable! You should be ashamed of yourselfs!

MarkMyWords said:
Attention CCY - WAKE UP ALREADY! Perhaps it is time we find a new PR guy for our Corporate Communications Department. Our corporate response to these types of incidents is deplorable! You should be ashamed of yourselfs!
Arrogance has no shame. We as U employees feel as those passengers did, helpless with this management team aboard.

Pilot Did 'Touch, Go' Landing To Check Gear, FAA Confirms
Accounts From Passengers, US Airways Differed
By Katherine Shaver and Michael Laris
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, November 12, 2003; Page B01

The Federal Aviation Administration yesterday confirmed passengers' accounts that a US Airways pilot made a "touch-and-go" landing at Dulles International Airport to check his landing gear Monday after a warning light indicated that there might be a problem.

A US Airways spokesman, David Castelveter, had denied Monday that the pilot had made such a touchdown before coming around again to land safely. He said yesterday that "there must have been a misunderstanding" between him and the airline officials who gave him the information.

A cockpit indicator had warned the crew that the right landing gear of the Boeing 737 jet was not fully extended, FAA spokesman Jim Peters said yesterday. Air traffic controllers diverted Flight 696, bound from Fort Myers, Fla., from Reagan National Airport, because Dulles has longer runways that would be better able to handle a landing problem, Peters said.

"The pilot wanted to do the touch-and-go to shake loose the gear. That's his call," Peters said.

A Dulles official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said about a half-dozen firetrucks and other emergency vehicles were spaced out along the runway when the plane landed. Airport officials radioed the pilot before he touched down that it appeared that the right landing gear was fully extended, the Dulles official said.

The pilot landed on the left main gear, then "touched the
wheel on the runway just to test it," the Dulles official said. "He didn't put enough weight on it to give himself a problem if it was going to happen. All it did was give him some confidence."

The pilot then decided to come in for a landing, the official said.

The statements by the FAA and the airport official contradicted Castelveter's statements to The Washington Post shortly after the incident that the pilot "did not do a touchdown." Castelveter said Monday that the pilot "did a flyby" of the control tower and "learned that the landing gear was down and landed normally."

But several of the 130 passengers had told The Post that they were afraid of dying as the plane touched down briefly and took off again. Flight attendants repeatedly shouted "Brace!" to passengers tucked into emergency landing position, the passengers said. One passenger said she sobbed and prayed as a flight attendant taught her how to open the emergency door and told her the wing probably would scrape the runway. An Arlington man said he called his wife to say goodbye.

Passenger Mike Kibler, 50, of Woodbridge commended the "stellar" flight attendants, captain and co-pilot. However, he said, he was angry to read the US Airways denial of the frightening touch-and-go landing.

"It minimized what we went through yesterday to make it sound like [the pilot] just flew by the tower and had a normal landing," said Kibler, who was returning from a meeting of his trade association in Marco Island, Fla. "That was a terrifying experience."

Passenger Richard Fortuna, 48, of Potomac said the US Airways account was "bull."

"We definitely did a touchdown landing, and you could feel the plane land on a cockeyed angle," he said. Asked what it felt like, Fortuna said, "It's not often that you contemplate your own death."

Castelveter said he got his information Monday from the airline's operations center in Pittsburgh. He said he spoke with the operations center again yesterday and was told that the pilot did, in fact, make a touch-and-go landing to check the landing gear.

Castelveter said US Airways mechanics found that the landing gear did not malfunction. He said mechanics fixed the warning indicator light, and the plane was back in the air Monday evening, taking passengers from National to Florida.

Peters said airlines are responsible for determining and fixing mechanical problems. The airline must then file a report with the FAA. Peters said the report was unavailable yesterday because it was a federal holiday.

Malfunctioning warning lights are not unusual. It is rare that a landing gear gets stuck in the up position, and malfunctioning landing gear usually locks upon touchdown.

Staff writer Don Phillips contributed to this report.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company​

Latest posts