Thank You Pittsburgh

ISP

Senior
Apr 3, 2003
Went through PIT last night - showed up at 9:50 for 10:10 flight to LGA knowing that I was in trouble if I didn't "book it to the gate."

At the ticket counter, this pathetic management had a grand total of 3 crewmembers working trying to help the 10 customers on line (even though O&D is low, you'd think they would have an adequately staffed counter when an airport is having 15 departures in their 10PM bank). The ladies knew my face and knowing that I was off to LGA, told me to come right over to them even though they were in the middle of helping other folks.

A quick ID check and they had a boarding pass in my hand. I turned to run away, but knowing what is happening with the cuts in PIT this weekend I went back, even though I was running late. I asked them "how many of you will be here the next time I come through?" One of them responded "she will, but the two of us are being laid off Sunday." I asked them if they were holding up okay, and the other one who was getting laid off suddenly broke down. She said "I moved my family here from California in 1989 for this airline, and this is what I get." I gave her a big hug, and I wished her the best of luck. All of the other customers on line were touched as well. It was one of the saddest things I've seen in awhile.

On behalf on all the customers who fly US Airways, and those of us that had the opportunity to basically "live in Pittsburgh" when the airline was at its peak from 1998-2001, I want to say thank you to those who will not be with the company after Sunday. You will be missed dearly. I pray for the days where I will once again see a line out the door at the Hotlicks on Concourse A with the flight to Orange County boarding on the other side of the moving walker. And although I'm sure that day will never come, the memories of being on the road you gave me were second to none.

Thank you.

I will never forget my first nonrev trip though PIT after getting hired as a P/T fleet service agent at SNA in 99. 757s/737s/MD-80s/DC-9s/F100s as far as the eye could see. OK maybe just the B and C concourse, but it was still pretty amazing for some 19 yr old californian who had only flown united as a kid. I even had to catch my express flight at the F concourse. Amazing!!!!! :(

exusair99 said:
I will never forget my first nonrev trip though PIT after getting hired as a P/T fleet service agent at SNA in 99. 757s/737s/MD-80s/DC-9s/F100s as far as the eye could see. OK maybe just the B and C concourse, but it was still pretty amazing for some 19 yr old californian who had only flown united as a kid. I even had to catch my express flight at the F concourse. Amazing!!!!! :(
[post="198431"][/post]​

I think you probably meant that you saw all those mainline aircraft at the A & B concourse gates, and that the express flight you caught was at the E gates... PIT doesn't have an F concourse, and the C concourse only handles [has handled :(] international flights.

ISP said:
Thank you.
[post="198429"][/post]​
Thank You!

You are a breed that used to live in this country until corporations decided money was more important than humanity.

That poor lady is one of many that have changed their lives for a corporation that returned the favor by dumping on them and then not even saying thanks as they are being shoved out the door.

It's [just business] was replaced for what this country once had, humanity.

Gate A 6 in Pit will always have special memories for me. It was my first flight as a trainee f/a with US Airways and I almost had a heart attack when I showed up at the gate with my flying buddy Boston Terrier and the md 80 we were told the day before we would be working had been replaced by a Boeing 737 300. We had a ball that day and made it back to Pit in one piece!

My heart goes out to all those folks in PIT who have dedicated their careers to the success of this company. Most of us went thru the exact same thing years ago when management at USAir decided the west coast was nothing of importance and in one big swoop, gave everything to Southwest. Although I have many good memories of the "Glory Days" of PSA and the merger with US, I also have many good feelings of going thru PIT and the kindness and professionalism of all those who where there for many years. A big thanks to all my collegues there and the very best of luck to all.

Latest posts