Thanksgiving ops/stats

gaucho99

Senior
Dec 21, 2006
Dear US Airways Employee,

Congratulations – we had a terrific Thanksgiving holiday performance and, as always, we have our dedicated US Airways employees to thank.

You did a fabulous job getting our customers where they needed to during one of the busiest travel weekends of the year and turning in the best Thanksgiving weekend performance since the merger.

The numbers tell this story – here’s where Thanksgiving Weekend 2007 (Wednesday through Sunday) ended up:

Measure
Nov. 21-25
Goal

D0
67.4 percent - Actual
62 percent - Goal

A14
86.6 percent - Actual
79 percent - Goal

Mishandled Bags
5.15 per 1,000 - Actual
7 per 1,000 (for combined months of Nov. and Dec.) - Goal

Completion Factor
99.6 percent - Actual
99 percent - Goal

The performance is better by all measures than our performance for the same period in 2006, when we had an A14 of 78.9 percent and MBR of 6.58 per thousand for the weekend. In 2005, we recorded A14 of 85.7 percent and MBR of 8.51.

Not only was this our best post-merger Thanksgiving, but it was also our best Wednesday through Sunday on-time performance of any week since our merger. We expect this positive operational momentum will carry us through the rest of this year and into 2008.

This is a great launch for the busy holiday travel season, and it speaks to great teamwork, from the front lines to everyone who took time away from the Thanksgiving table to support the operation this weekend. As always, thanks for all you do for our customers and fellow employees every day.

Dear US Airways Employee,

Congratulations – we had a terrific Thanksgiving holiday performance and, as always, we have our dedicated US Airways employees to thank.

As always, thanks for all you do for our customers and fellow employees every day.

Hmmm....might one then wistfully "expect" some even slight bonuses, or even any benefits, for the employees that actually accomplished this? :lol:

They made their goal because NO ONE FLEW ON US ! It was like a morgue in the hub cities. A very strange holiday week.

They made their goal because NO ONE FLEW ON US ! It was like a morgue in the hub cities. A very strange holiday week.

Dexter...

Actually, Thanksgiving air travel was down a decent % from last year and in fact, a number of years prior and that goes for all airlines!
My friends at AA/UAL and NW all noticed much quiter terminals, lighter load factors etc....so it was not just US. Matter of fact I was at ORD on Wed. and noticed it myself.
The idea that "noone" flew on US for one reason or another is a fantasy. People will fly whoever gives them the lowest fare or easiest conx. REGARDLESS of OTP stats or whatever!
The only people who actually keep track of how any particular ailrine performs are the execs , DOT and people on boards like these. A significant minority of the 300 million people in the U.S is assure you.

Yes, it is probably true that ma and pa kettle twice/year travelers will book a month or two out and find the lowest price/best schedule on orbitz, travelocity, etc. So, to that extent, US probably fared about what the other carriers did.

But you can be sure your passengers who are even something close to "regulars" either stayed away from traveling or booked based on airline preference and OTP.

The weather on Wed and Sun was also pretty good, which certainly played a big role in NE operations.

But all that being said - good job US. If I had flown you I'd even be giving more accolades. But I couldn't justify a $400 price difference between you and the folks in brown and orange (or blue and orange), especially when I booked relatively late (within 2 weeks).

Dexter...

Actually, Thanksgiving air travel was down a decent % from last year and in fact, a number of years prior and that goes for all airlines!
My friends at AA/UAL and NW all noticed much quiter terminals, lighter load factors etc....so it was not just US. Matter of fact I was at ORD on Wed. and noticed it myself.
The idea that "noone" flew on US for one reason or another is a fantasy. People will fly whoever gives them the lowest fare or easiest conx. REGARDLESS of OTP stats or whatever!
The only people who actually keep track of how any particular ailrine performs are the execs , DOT and people on boards like these. A significant minority of the 300 million people in the U.S is assure you.

I agree with most of what you say here....for VFFers, they care and pay attention, but for the up and down the street, "travel once a year" pax, they don't have a clue.....BUT, it's hard to make a living in the airline biz on tourist traffic. ;) That's what I'm not sure this (miss)management team understands.

Regardless, congrats to US Airways!

Not many are as hard on this (miss)management team as I am, but I think it's great the airline ran reasonably smoothly. I just hope the (miss)management team might have the fortitude to realize it was all of the frontline folk that made the airline work.

And of course, we have that small little detail of "providing value and inflight service" to worry about....but first things first, glad the airline ran well! :)

All in all the airlines did well and they deserve credit for the effort made.

What the airlines did was drastically reduced their schedules. The ops you experienced was what the commercial airlines would look like after consolidation and reducing frequencies. The FAA could actually handle it!

http://www.stockhouse.ca/news/news.asp?tic...;newsid=6228919

Kudo's to the EMPLOYEE GROUP!

JOB, WELL DONE!

US Airways reported its operational performance numbers for the busy travel period surrounding the Thanksgiving holiday. Over the five-day period (Wednesday, Nov. 21 through Sunday, Nov. 25), the airline's arrivals within 14 minutes of schedule averaged 86.6 percent and the airline completed 99.6 percent of its scheduled flights.

only stating opinions

[quote name='PO'ed PHX Ramper' post='547470' date='Nov 26 2007, 05:47 PM']I did a PHX - DTW round trip on Monday and Thurday, I got first class both trips LOL. Yeah, we were much lighter.[/quote]

Hmm...I think anyone could get First Class if they were nonrevving PHX/DTW/PHX anytime...I'm serious man...Even on a friday night.

Well, I was working full flights everwhere I went and the airports were full too. CLT, DCA, LGA were packed. Wall to wall with passengers. YYZ was full and it's not usually. And of course they were hanging off the tail in and out of MIA.
Whew!! I'm tired.

While I've only been a Chairman's since 2001 I have noticed significant changes in holiday travel patterns and I think this has something but not everything to do with US's successful Thanksgiving Holiday.

One thing we will never really know is just what the impact of opening the Military Airspace in the NE did to help.

All in all the airlines did well and they deserve credit for the effort made. In Short Happy Customers are nothing special they're just good business.

Piney, I hate to afford politicos any undue credit. I do believe that massaging the NEast airspace is a sound concept, and should be done on a regular basis, subject to USAF/USN needs naturally. In this case though: I'm thinking that the fairly light loads and lack of adverse weather afforded the greatest ops benefits for this round.