The A La carte Business Model now in the crew room

LTOSlave

Dec 28, 2009
The US Airways A La carte a/k/a "The High Cost of Being Cheap" Business has made it's way to the PHL crew room. $1.00 Coffee it was free

I always thought that having the company offer complimentary coffee in the check in rooms was a nice gesture and a small (very small) token of appreciation for the employees. Especially when reporting for a trip at O'Dark-Thirty in the morning or about to embark on a redeye transcon flight.

To start charging employees for a cup of joe is, to me, a shame. Especially when the employees you are asking to cough up a buck have taken pay cuts and not received a pay raise in years! This is petty and is just another indication of how the company looks down on the hard working front line employees of this airline that have kept the planes in the air.

It's not the dollar they are asking for that upsets me...it's the principle of the whole matter that upsets me and it really stinks. :down:

Does anyone really think any of these $1 bills are going to see an accountant's desk? I don't.

I will not pay $1.00 for coffee when I can get it for less in the terminal. I do not object to paying for it, I object to having it given for free and suddenly being charged for it without so much as an explanation.

In the "B" crewroom a case of coffee was still under the counter. So I made that. LOL

Does anyone really think any of these $1 bills are going to see an accountant's desk? I don't.

BEFORE we rush to judgement on US Airways and charging for coffee in the crew rooms, consider that this change could have something to do with a new airport consession contract if there is one.

Or US just decided to not provide it any longer, brought in a vending company and splits the proceeds. Facts would be helpful instead of just assuming US went on the cheap..

Does the vending machine have a sticker with the name of the vendor?

Could the employees hire their own vending company and have the excess funds go towards funding parties and such? Just US right out of the coffee picture?

One way to show your displeasure is not buy the stuff. Most veninding companies have some sort of minimum fee and if that fee isn't covereed then US has to make up the difference.

Also it sounds like the room has coffee making equipment for the present, so throw in with your co-workers and bring your own coffee.

There are ways to make this difficult. Perhaps it's time to make the high cost of cheap a little to high

Or folks could just wait until they get to the plane and get free coffee there. The only folks who can't plan on this are the reserves sitting hot (OPR) reserve. As usual they come out on the bottom of things.

Curious to know if they are charging for the same coffee at CHQ. Each floor has 2 galleys where FREE water, coffee, tea and filtered water has been offered.

Maybe someone should ask Doug at the next crew news why the sudden charge?

Curious to know if they are charging for the same coffee at CHQ. Each floor has 2 galleys where FREE water, coffee, tea and filtered water has been offered.

Someone should ask Doug and why wait until the next crew news?

Why does this whole thing reek of PHL and local management to this outsider?

No, they are not charging for it at CHQ, however, US Airways doesn't pay for it either (directly anyway). It is provided by the company the runs/owns the building, Hines Property Management.

No, they are not charging for it at CHQ, however, US Airways doesn't pay for it either (directly anyway). It is provided by the company the runs/owns the building, Hines Property Management.

Totally uneccessary! Just shows more disdain towards the employees! I'll just stop on my way down and get a bigger and better tasting cup of coffee in the terminal! :down:

I would not drink a cup of coffee made with water from the A/Cs water system if you paid me!
If you have ever seen the results you would not either. We are constantly putting the water system on MEL do to contamination. Pay the buck and not get sick.

Just wander into the club and get it. That's what I do. They have a whooshy fancy machine there with milky way packs. The cheese and crackers are yummy too. OMG yall. Those cracked pepper chips are to die for. Seriously. You gotta try em. xxxx. -your favorite gnome