The Debt Ceiling! Crisis or Opportunity

SparrowHawk

Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
Perhaps if the Empty Suit had some testosterone in his blood we wouldn't be where we are. I found this piece from the Cato Institute quite interesting, see what you think.

Default on US Debt Is Obama’s Choice
Friday, 29 Jul 2011 09:18 AM
By Richard Rahn

The United States will default on its debt only if President Barack Obama makes a conscious decision to do so. Despite the over-the-top Nazi death camp analogies that the president’s staff has used in relation to the debt ceiling increase, America can pay its necessary bills for a long time.

It is indeed true that the government will run about a $160 billion deficit in the month of August, and it does not have the cash at the moment to cover it, but this does not mean the president is without options.

Richard W. Rahn is a senior fellow at the Cato Institute and chairman of the Institute for Global Economic Growth.

He pretty much lost me with the mention of 'Nazi'. When someone makes that comparison it shows their complete ignorance. Ignorance of history and of the English language due their inability of coming up with an alternative.

I really have to question this guys economic intelligence. I am no economist but when he starts talking about selling land, homes and other buildings in today's market I have to question his understanding of the economics. There are already to many homes on the market as it is. Were the government to flood the market with even more the market would sink even more. How does that help anyone? Aside from that, who knows what the value would be in that market.

Reactions: 1 person
He pretty much lost me with the mention of 'Nazi'. When someone makes that comparison it shows their complete ignorance. Ignorance of history and of the English language due their inability of coming up with an alternative.

I really have to question this guys economic intelligence. I am no economist but when he starts talking about selling land, homes and other buildings in today's market I have to question his understanding of the economics. There are already to many homes on the market as it is. Were the government to flood the market with even more the market would sink even more. How does that help anyone? Aside from that, who knows what the value would be in that market.

Sorry he wasn't PC enough for your gentle sensibilities. If you had taken the time he was speaking of assets sales over time as in ten years

I watched the freshman Rubio on the Senate floor today talking about the need to change the tax code etc...debating a bill about raising the debt ceiling for paying bills already in the inbox of the U.S....

He was summarily dressed down by Senator Lautenberg who spoke next. Lautenberg talked of Rubio's speech as being one of a person whose house is burning down and arguing about the color of the fire engine.

I could care less about PC. To compare anything in the US to the Nazis is just ignorant.

Yes I saw that he was talking about 10 years. It will probably take that long for the housing market to recover if not longer. Does not seem like there will be a big market for bases and the like.

I could care less about PC. To compare anything in the US to the Nazis is just ignorant.

Yes I saw that he was talking about 10 years. It will probably take that long for the housing market to recover if not longer. Does not seem like there will be a big market for bases and the like.

The answer is "It Depends". For example we own a pretty good chunk of the Presidio in SFO, which is prime real estate and would sell at a very high price even in Today's Market. Now the Air Force base in Minot, ND is a different story I suspect. But given the oil boom in western ND, that may change.

Oil & Gas leases would likely yield a very high price right now. But the Empty Suit would have to actually lead

There are some very interesting ideas on how to raise revenue without directly raising taxes coming from Rep. Polis (D-CO).

The only way the tax code gets reformed is if campaign finance reform is implemented. So long as business and the wealthy can bribe/buy Congress, nothing will get done and the middle class (or whats left) will carry the burden. Money is power in this country and with out it you have no voice.

The only way the tax code gets reformed is if campaign finance reform is implemented. So long as business and the wealthy can bribe/buy Congress, nothing will get done and the middle class (or whats left) will carry the burden. Money is power in this country and with out it you have no voice.

It's been that way for years but it doesn't have to be that way. The Tea Party movement has proven that.

No they haven't. They are beholden to the same powers that be as everyone else.

Given the debt ceiling was raised seven times under Little Bush and over a dozen under Reagan, my take is the debt ceiling is an opportunity for Republicans to create a crisis out of a situation that was never a crisis before.

Given the debt ceiling was raised seven times under Little Bush and over a dozen under Reagan, my take is the debt ceiling is an opportunity for Republicans to create a crisis out of a situation that was never a crisis before.

Difference being that thanks to the Empty Suit, we have a Debt to GDP ratio of above 80% which most economists say is the tipping point. BTW Clinton incurred about the same amount of Debt as Reagan did, Difference being that Clinton delivered a balanced budget.

(deleted)

Boy dog, now I know where your head is.

Well hells bells, give obama an unlimited debt ceiling with no decrease in spending and let me know how it works out for the rest of us.

Dude.......you need exlax.....never a crisis before, until obama outspent every admin before him combined in two years ....dispute that doggie.....

polls_stylish_dog_ass_1325_313954_poll_large.jpeg

No problem giving Bush Jr. an unlimited debt ceiling to keep Cheney from beating his ass.

Some people would blame Obama if they got a flat tire.

Bush Jr out spent rocky bama?

No but between the two of them they are responsible for about 2/3rds of the debt, If you're really in a blame little Bush mode it was the expansion of Medicare entitlement known as part D which increased not only the debt but obligated us to fund this program into the future virtually ensuring deficit spending for the foreseeable future.

Latest posts