The devil you know is better than the one you don't know....

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Is there anything in the CEO's contract or corporate bylaws that stipulate termination in the event of a DUI? How about for non-FAA certified employees (back office, customer service, etc.)?

I'm just wondering why some people have been trying to apply the regs which apply to pilots, F/As, etc. to someone who is not in a position that has a direct bearing on customer safety. See, if a pilot gets a DUI then the FAA has the authority to suspend their pilot certificate for 30 days, months or permanantly or not at all. It's really a case by case basis. But without a pilot cert, then there is no way they can perform their job. But do they get fired or does ALPA work to get them help? 1st offense vs. 4th offense? What if those prior offenses were 20 years ago? My gut feeling is that if Doug were a pilot and this happened, he wouldn't be fired, but instead sent for treatment and ALPA would hold his job for him.

If an employee in accounting gets a DUI, is that grounds for dismissal? I doubt it. In fact, it's more likely grounds for an employee lawsuit. The employee could turn around and claim they have a substance problem and need to seek treatment, but the company discriminated against them and their "problem", blah blah blah. Then they can take the medical leave and the company has to hold their job for them (though not necessarily keep paying them).

If Doug was to be let go, how would this help the airline as a whole? If he was everybody's favorite CEO and you were all raving about what a great job he's been doing, would your feelings on termination be any different?

Wouldn't you rather keep the devil you know in place rather than going through it all again with one you don't know?

They all come from the same mold anyway. So, why not keep Doug. Heck we all need something to laugh about.What brand of beer was he drinking? If it was light then I just lost all respect for him!

If the workers don't believe in their management then he needs to be dismissed of his duties or "resign". How can he lead if he has no credibility?

If he gets charged with a misdemeanor or a felony will probably be a determing factor.

If Doug does jail time (doubtful) then will his postion be held?

There IS mandatory Jail time for first offense, the three priors are probably in another state and past any statute of Limitations. So a 1st time offender in AZ it's 10 days in prison or 1 day plus counseling.
He'll get counseling.
He'll get $250.00 fine.
Slap on the wrist.
3 Priors are over 5 years ago too Bob.
Mucho Grande soul searching though.

I doubt that it would help the company much at all if Doug were fired. I'm betting that most people (that don't work at LCC) will forget about this whole thing pretty quickly.

Besides ..Scott Kirby is next in line for CEO ..do we really want him running the show?

Let's hope our Mr Parker is one of those who grows from this experience.

Well, he did say he learned from the first 3 alcohol-related incidents. :rolleyes: I just don't understand why he doesn't have a driver. With that 8.9M he surely can afford a driver. Heck, I bet etops1 would drive him for free.

And, the other poster is right, Kirby is next...lord help us all.

You're fooling yourself if you think Parker is running it.
Kirby is the man behind the curtain.He's been described as a "genius" by some in Tempe.He's already running the show.Doug's a front man.

You're fooling yourself if you think Parker is running it.
Kirby is the man behind the curtain.He's been described as a "genius" by some in Tempe.He's already running the show.Doug's a front man.

Then that makes it easy to ask him to leave.

Why does US need a front man? Why can't kirby be the front guy if he is the so called "genius"?

Because some CEO's are very charismatic which Doug is. Others come off wooden and very stuffy. Don't know which category Kirby falls into but I remain unimpressed in him to date.

I've been in Parker's presence and I found him anything but charismatic, not wooden or stuffy though either. I haven't heard Kirby speak.

They said the same about Siegel, then Lakefield, now Doug.

Obviously, doug was a devil no body knew until this week.

Answer: Better the devil you don't know than the devil your stuck with.

That's why there are U.S. Presidential elections every 4 years, and the devil you do know can't run again after 8.

Lets be clear on a couple of items here.

First this occured over a week ago and he only answered for it after the media informed him they were going to print the story.

Second he wrote three letters in the same day to employee's, each time he expanded on the incident.

Third, if this were any one of us he would fire us in a
second and not think anything of it. More than likely he would spit on you as you left.

Clearly he's got an issue.. Clearly he enjoy's not telling the truth until cornered. He had a week to inform everyone. If he was such a stand up guy he would have told the employee's the next day. The media report would have been nothing, zip, a non-issue.. No he waited, waited to see what type of fall out..

He's a liar plain and true.. That makes him a bad leader. For the good of the company he should step down. He won't though, his EGO is way to big for that. In his mind he did nothing wrong.. Not telling the employee's was minor, telling everyone that he would never sell shares in the company unless of course he can make a quick 13 million bucks, saying he would work with the unions and instead fights with them tooth and nail for every single penney..

Nope.. DOUG is a big fat liar and should step aside.

I've been in Parker's presence and I found him anything but charismatic, not wooden or stuffy though either. I haven't heard Kirby speak.

Because some CEO's are very charismatic which Doug is.

I disagree with that assessment. He speaks the language of the financial types on Wall Street and the various funding groups, such as Investment Funds and private investment groups, but I never thought of him as charismatic.

Latest posts