The E190's customer view

MDMUS1

Aug 28, 2002
After reading the recent press releases about the orders for the E190's I came to the board here to try to get a little more information.

All in all, from a customer perspective, this is really good news and I'll share my opinion as to why;

For anyone who used to fly routes on wide bodies that have now gone to RJ's it is such a disappointment. Yes the RJ's are quiet and fast, but the lack of decent sized overheads and the tight seating can really make a longer flight unenjoyable. If the person in front of you fully reclines their seat it is almost impossible to use a laptop and that means lost productivity time. If you get a large person next to you who is taking up their seat and 25% of yours it makes the trip miserable. The CSA's should really make these huge people buy two seats when they can't leave the seat next to them open. It is completely unacceptable for a PAX not to have the full use of their seat space because of a huge person next to them oozing out beyond thier own seat. I'm not trying to be mean spirited, but this is really a serious problem if you are seated next to one of these huge persons on an RJ.

Seeing that there will be 11 F/C seats plus larger overheads that accept most roll aboards and have more flexible under seat storage are three huge advantages.

I have been so uncomfortable on some of my regular RJ routes that I have considered looking at other airlines and in some cases I have chosen others just because of the current RJ crowding issues.

I only wish that they could start to transition some of the current RJ's to having some F/C seats. I don't want to wait until fall to see the improvements!

There is no doubt in my mind that these E190's (or any other RJ that they set up the same way) will indeed help US keep it's frequent business travelers flying US.

In the mean time, if Mgt is reading this - please consider putting at least some wide bodies back on the MKE and MSP routes! The RJ's are almost always overflowing and those are long flights to be uncomfortable on. As it is today, you are going to be seeing business travelers looking for alternatives.

Do the other frequent flyers here agree?

The E190 is technically not an RJ. It is a small mainline jet, similar in size and mission to the Fokker 100 or the older yet Fokker F28's. The 190's will be operated by main line. Also, the range is well over 1500 miles if not mistaken.

They are not in my opinion in the same class as the lawn dart (145 series) or the CRJ's.

I just flew the E-170 from ORD-PIT on Sunday. In my opinion it has the most comfortable coach seat in the fleet with the exception of some of the Airbus exit row seats. I hope with the large amount of first class seats proposed for the E-190s the coach seat pitch doesn't get reduced that much.

JetBlue has 100 seats on their 190s with 32-34 inch pitch without any first class seats. I hope US Airways is able to maintain the 32-33 inch pitch in coach similar to the E-170s.

The E190 is technically not an RJ. It is a small mainline jet, similar in size and mission to the Fokker 100 or the older yet Fokker F28's. The 190's will be operated by main line. Also, the range is well over 1500 miles if not mistaken.

They are not in my opinion in the same class as the lawn dart (145 series) or the CRJ's.

I hadn't heard the "lawn dart" reference before :up: Good one, Art! I like that as much as l4pi's "Barbie Jet" designation.

Back on topic... Couldn't one look at the E-190s as a newer version of the DC-9?

In that case, they could do those routes that the DC-9 used to do like CRW-PIT (now CRW-PHL or CRW-CLT), ROA-CLT, etc etc.

I think the E-190 would make a great aircraft for say CLT-MSP or PHL-MSP. CLT-MSP and CLT-PIT used to be run (mid 90s) by DC-9, 737 or often a MD-80. If US still has that corner gate in MSP, a RJ would be a better option than a big mainline jet anyway... and the 190 might just work in that slot. (It was fun watching them move an MD-80 in and out of that gate.)

JetBlue has 100 seats on their 190s with 32-34 inch pitch without any first class seats. I hope US Airways is able to maintain the 32-33 inch pitch in coach similar to the E-170s.

Unfortunately, I expect that with one additional row (26 on the two-class US E190 vs. 25 on jetBlue) and additional inches being needed to increase pitch for the four-row F cabin, the seat pitch for the Economy Cabin is likely to be around 31".

How many of the E190's is U planning to purchase? Will they all come on line this fall or will they be staged over a period of time? Will they be replacing the CRJ's?
Thanks.

25 firm, 32 orders that require recommittment, options for up to 50 more. Any of the orders/options can be changed to any of the 170/195 family - e.g., 170, 175, 190, 195.

The delivery schedule is redacted in the Embraer agreement, but I think someone posted 2 deliveries in Nov 06 and 1 per month after that.

Jim

Man, I sure hope it makes financial sense that they are all two cabin...
It will keep us frequent flyers happy, because we'll have an F-cabin to upgrade to. "Free space-available upgrades" doesn't mean much if you don't put F-cabins in new aircraft. Especially aircraft that are F100-sized.

I don't mind the 31" pitch in Y because with an 8-to-1 Y/F ratio, it's not likely that I'll have occasion to sit in the back very often.

It will keep us frequent flyers happy, because we'll have an F-cabin to upgrade to. "Free space-available upgrades" doesn't mean much if you don't put F-cabins in new aircraft. Especially aircraft that are F100-sized.

I don't mind the 31" pitch in Y because with an 8-to-1 Y/F ratio, it's not likely that I'll have occasion to sit in the back very often.

Any chance of the 190 getting IFE? I hate riding the 737s with none, i really hope they get smart and put something in there to make it less RJ like

Unfortunately, I expect that with one additional row (26 on the two-class US E190 vs. 25 on jetBlue) and additional inches being needed to increase pitch for the four-row F cabin, the seat pitch for the Economy Cabin is likely to be around 31".

That would be very disappointing. I flew to IAH and back on a Mid-Atlantic 170 and was very comfortable- I'd say the most comfortable coach seat ever (maybe with the exception of NW's Avro's)

I think it would be great to go to 8F and 92Y to give some more pitch to coach.. or do an E+ config. This is assuming that 190s will do mid-cons. Leave the CRJs on the short east coast flights.

That would be very disappointing.

Two opposing articles mentioned in today's ATA briefing sheet....

- Customer's #1 wish is for more leg room

- Boeing 787 customers are intending to put in more seats than the company envisioned, raising seating from 259 as advertised by Boeing to about 280.

Jim

Sure, the #1 wish is for more legroom, but if you pull a row of seats out of every aircraft for "MRTC" and then raise every fare by $5 or $10 to cover it, watch how fast your customers go fly someone else.

AA tried it and couldn't make it work.

Talk is cheap. When it comes down to it, at this point people want dirt-cheap fares.

Heck, just wait until someone starts Ryanair over here. 30-inch pitch, no seatback pockets, no recline in the seats... but someone will fly them no matter how hellaciously uncomfortable it is!

Two opposing articles mentioned in today's ATA briefing sheet....

- Customer's #1 wish is for more leg room

- Boeing 787 customers are intending to put in more seats than the company envisioned, raising seating from 259 as advertised by Boeing to about 280.

Jim

I want both! :D

More seat width and a few more inches of legroom. I'm seriously hoping that UAL succeeds with E+ on its 170s (as well as the rest of its fleet) and that the idea is copied by others. Perhaps the BA four class model idea could spread to more airlines. A few rows of wider coach with some extra legroom but not priced at 5x or 10x the cheapest ooach tix (as are many F or J fares). Comfort for those of us willing to pay more but who can't swing $8,000 each way.