the end of the Concorde flights

Aug 20, 2002
Valhalla
www.usaviation.com
AF & BA announced they will terminate these planes'' service on May 31st. If you want the link go to www.cnn.com -- folks just aren''t willing to pay $10k for a quick trans-Atlantic trip anymore.

Certainly the end of an era, but let''s look at the larger picture. How does this bode for the network carriers who want to position themselves in the ''premium'' market?

----------------
On 4/10/2003 9:59:19 AM whatkindoffreshhell wrote:

AF & BA announced they will terminate these planes'' service on May 31st.
----------------​

Slight correction: AF will indeed retire their Concordes at the end of May, but BA will continue with theirs until late October.

The Concordes and premium fares are history.

Perhaps if I would''ve embellished a bit about wages slashed, management screw-ups and outdated technology/business practices/bitter employees then I would''ve been more in tune with the dominant themes of this board. Which by the way are problems being wrestled with in most businesses today.

But taking a step back to consider the big picture?

Naaahhhhh.

Did anyone else see the story that Richard Branson wanted to buy BA''s Concordes for the full price BA paid for them (1 pound each)? BA''s response reportedly included the statement that "Airbus (the successor to the builders of the Concorde) would not allow any airline other than BA and Air France to operate the Concorde."

Hmmm.. if that were even remotely true, Boeing should be jumping at Virgin Atlantic to replace their Airbuses, as I''m sure Virgin would not be the least bit happy with such a statement...