The Gift

A320Driver

May 20, 2007
The folks at US Airways and America West were given a gift. US Airways faced a certain liquidation, and America West did not have any long term strategy. In a move designed to capture East coast and International market share while preventing other carriers to fill the voids left in those markets, the "big-wigs" put this plan together. The hope was that both AAA and HP employees would welcome a second chance in the industry. For the East, to retain the proud heritage of a once great airline, for the West, the chance to secure a future and be a part of this new low cost carrier.
The employees welcomed this gift, but the honeymoon was over quickly. "Where's my money?" was the new slogan. "What about everything I have given up?" and "Why is everything changing?" were the questions. "The company is making money now, where's mine?".
Parker thought he could play both sides. He was wrong.
He thought both sides would actually be grateful for saving the jobs of thousands of employees and securing futures for thousands more. It appears he was wrong. Is this of consequence for him? Not really. He'll still get his millions. He could walk away tomorrow and never look back. He'd be just fine.
With East pilots and West mechanics feeling slighted and vowing to "burn this piece of sh#$ to the ground", he realizes he didn't include the "me factor" into his equation. It isn't really poor Doogies' fault. He vowed to let the unions settle their differences however they do it and presumed people would live by those decisions.
But those who felt they were personally slighted could not live with the results of the very processes they agreed to.
"I don't need this place, I'll go work somewhere else". Good for you. Then go. Why don't you stop being so selfish by trying to ruin thousands of your fellow employees' lives on your way out? They didn't do this to you. The rules and processes did this. Some of your fellow employees may not have the options you have. Some of these fellow employees actually need this place. Oh yeah, that requires thinking of how others might feel. A way of thinking that your mother apparantly forgot to teach you. Or maybe you just forgot.
You don't want the gift? Leave it for someone who does. The word "grace" comes to mind. Ever hear of it? I didn't think so. Look that one up on Google or Wikepedia. I haven't seen much of that around here.
There are some people who will never be happy, much less content.
And don't forget, it was a gift to begin with.

A320 driver is very peaceful. Could that mean he wasn't affected by DOH? Maybe that was his/her gift?

Doogie doesn't need to drink to get to sleep at night. He has the "gift" of "greed" and will not look backwards. The company did not have to leave DOH up to the union. The company could have just decided to give it because that is what it has always been. The company tried to play the seniority card the same way with all shops.

I do believe that there is a gift out there somewhere, we just need to find it or prove that we are worth that "gift".

Sadly LCC may just be carved up and served for Thanksgiving Dinner this fall! The way this place in run from Tempe is deplorable and inexcusable. So far they are slow to accept reality and refuse to accept responsibility. How many times do you to try to bang the square peg into the round hole before someone takes the hammer away? They are trying to sell it off at any cost but I don't think anyone is biting.

The Painful Truth—God Forbid—The Truth
Well, gentlemen, here we go again with the ADD group repeatedly trying to reeducate them what the
word “Merger†really means. I was going to use a Venn diagram but rejected that pictorial as insulting.
What “Merger†means is that there was a marriage and each member of the wedding party brought
something to the union. Granted the groom had a broken leg and the bride had a big old ugly hairy wart
on her nose, but it was a marriage nonetheless. In this case AWA brought their operation, US brought
their operation plus financing in the new entity to the tune of $565 million in new equity financing (see
highlighted excerpt below). The verbiage below was from the SEC filings and unlike the AWA Merger
Committee who asserts that unless their CEO is under Sarbanes Oxley and SEC disclosure constraints lies
in everything he says, this excerpt is under such guidelines. So, for the love of God, people, will
everyone please get over this “We bought you†mentality? AWA couldn’t buy Doug a beer let alone an
airline or even the assets of an airline. AWA was burning cash and was headed for Chapter
11……………sorry but AWA had been there before and was going to see the judge again.
Agreement to Merge with Subsidiary of U.S. Airways Group
On May 19, 2005, US Airways Group, Holdings and Merger Sub, a wholly owned subsidiary of US Airways Group, entered into the Merger
Agreement. The Merger Agreement provides that, upon the terms and subject to the conditions set forth in the Merger Agreement, Merger Sub
will merge with and into Holdings, with Holdings continuing as the surviving corporation. The merger is expected to create the first full-service
airline with the consumer-friendly pricing structure of a low-fare carrier.
In the merger, holders of Holdings Class A common stock will receive 0.5362 of a share of new US Airways Group common stock for each
share of Holdings Class A common stock they own, and holders of Holdings Class B common stock will receive 0.4125 of a share of new US
Airways Group common stock for each share of Holdings Class B common stock they own, on the terms specified in the Merger Agreement.
The merger is one of a series of transactions that require the approval of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of
Virginia, Alexandria Division, in the pending bankruptcy proceeding of US Airways Group and its domestic subsidiaries. The other transactions
that must be approved by the bankruptcy court, as part of a comprehensive plan of reorganization of US Airways Group and its domestic
subsidiaries, include receipt by US Airways Group of new equity financing concurrently with the merger. US Airways Group has entered into
agreements with new equity investors which have agreed to contribute a total of $565 million in equity to the reorganized US Airways Group,
subject to a variety of conditions, including confirmation of the plan of reorganization and completion of the merger. The merger is a key
component of the plan of reorganization and is also conditioned upon, among other things, the receipt of at least $375 million from these equity
investors. The plan of reorganization contemplates the cancellation of existing US Airways Group common stock and the issuance of new shares
of reorganized US Airways Group upon emergence from the bankruptcy proceedings and in connection with the merger. On June 30, 2005,
US Airways Group filed the plan of reorganization and its related disclosure statement with the Bankruptcy Court.
Assuming that US Airways Group receives $565 million in equity financing at the effective time of the merger, we expect that former
America West Holdings stockholders will hold approximately 37% of new US Airways Group common stock outstanding immediately following
the merger. Certain former US Airways Group creditors and new equity investors as a group will hold approximately 11% and 52%, respectively,
of new US Airways Group common stock outstanding immediately following the merger. In each case, those percentages are subject to dilution
as a result of any additional equity issuances, including as a result of the proposed rights offering discussed below, and are subject to certain
assumptions concerning the likely exchange of certain convertible debt and securities that are dilutive at the per share purchase price paid by the
equity investors for new US Airways Group common stock shortly after the merger.
The merger cannot be completed unless Holdings’ stockholders adopt the merger agreement and approve the merger. The obligations of
Holdings and US Airways Group to complete the merger are also subject to the satisfaction or waiver of several other conditions, including
clearance from regulatory agencies. On June 23, 2005, the U.S. Department of Justice notified Holdings and US Airways that the Department has
completed its review of the proposed merger of the two airlines and that the waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements
Act of 1976 will expire without a formal request from the Department for additional information. Source AMERICA WEST AIRLINES
INC filed this Form 10-Q on 07/21/05.
I am assuming that all involved can read and understand the above………….that’s the story
folks………sorry if it ruins the peyote induced delusion but reality can do that sometimes. So let’s move
onto another subject because this one is really tired and old and touted by the uninformed.
-----------------------------------------------------------

A320 driver is very peaceful. Could that mean he wasn't affected by DOH? Maybe that was his/her gift?

Doogie doesn't need to drink to get to sleep at night. He has the "gift" of "greed" and will not look backwards. The company did not have to leave DOH up to the union. The company could have just decided to give it because that is what it has always been. The company tried to play the seniority card the same way with all shops.

I do believe that there is a gift out there somewhere, we just need to find it or prove that we are worth that "gift".

Sky flyr69,
When I said the "big-wigs" put this together, I meant the high finance people. The investors. This is not a post on AWA buying AAA or vice versa. It is about people (perhaps like you) who couldn't care less about their fellow employees and are willing to trash their own house in spite of their own family members' needs.

And PhillyRocks,
I am at peace. My house is in order and the integration could have gone either way and I'd still be fine. My life does not revolve around my longevity, seniority or job status. Life's too short to get worked up about my job (can't say career anymore). I must admit, however, I was a little surprised to see the outrage by the East pilots. I know you guys have been through the wringer, but wow! Your reaction to this thing has taught me alot about how you guys handle adversity. Kind of like welching on a bet. You agreed to the ground rules, lost the match, but wont accept the outcome. You really should be recalling your leaders. They're the ones who mandated a "nothing less than DOH" position at the table. But if it makes you feel better, blame all the West pilots. We didn't want this merger either, but hey, we don't call the shots. Pilots just think that they should call those shots because we tend to be "control freaks".

I, for one, just about threw up when I found out we were merging with US Air. (sorry) That was about my last choice on this planet. (Of course I have no room to talk, AWA never seemed very promising either). You guys like to think we won the lottery? Hah! The ego! More like the consolation prize. (hey, at least it a prize, right?) Indeed, two ugly carriers got married. I'm trying to give this thing a chance, trying to be optomistic, but it doesn't look promising. Too many "me-monsters" on both sides.
Just thought you might think about your fellow East co-workers while you "burn the place down". My bad.
I'm quite sure you wont be thinking of the west people.

Cheers. "Have fun storming the castle!"-Princess Bride

The Painful Truth—God Forbid—The Truth
Well, gentlemen, here we go again with the ADD group repeatedly trying to reeducate them what the
word “Merger†really means. I was going to use a Venn diagram but rejected that pictorial as insulting.
What “Merger†means is that there was a marriage and each member of the wedding party brought
something to the union. Granted the groom had a broken leg and the bride had a big old ugly hairy wart
on her nose, but it was a marriage nonetheless. In this case AWA brought their operation, US brought
their operation plus financing in the new entity to the tune of $565 million in new equity financing (see
highlighted excerpt below). The verbiage below was from the SEC filings and unlike the AWA Merger
Committee who asserts that unless their CEO is under Sarbanes Oxley and SEC disclosure constraints lies
in everything he says, this excerpt is under such guidelines. So, for the love of God, people, will
everyone please get over this “We bought you†mentality? AWA couldn’t buy Doug a beer let alone an
airline or even the assets of an airline. AWA was burning cash and was headed for Chapter
11……………sorry but AWA had been there before and was going to see the judge again.
Agreement to Merge with Subsidiary of U.S. Airways Group
On May 19, 2005, US Airways Group, Holdings and Merger Sub, a wholly owned subsidiary of US Airways Group, entered into the Merger
Agreement. The Merger Agreement provides that, upon the terms and subject to the conditions set forth in the Merger Agreement, Merger Sub
will merge with and into Holdings, with Holdings continuing as the surviving corporation. The merger is expected to create the first full-service
airline with the consumer-friendly pricing structure of a low-fare carrier.
In the merger, holders of Holdings Class A common stock will receive 0.5362 of a share of new US Airways Group common stock for each
share of Holdings Class A common stock they own, and holders of Holdings Class B common stock will receive 0.4125 of a share of new US
Airways Group common stock for each share of Holdings Class B common stock they own, on the terms specified in the Merger Agreement.
The merger is one of a series of transactions that require the approval of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of
Virginia, Alexandria Division, in the pending bankruptcy proceeding of US Airways Group and its domestic subsidiaries. The other transactions
that must be approved by the bankruptcy court, as part of a comprehensive plan of reorganization of US Airways Group and its domestic
subsidiaries, include receipt by US Airways Group of new equity financing concurrently with the merger. US Airways Group has entered into
agreements with new equity investors which have agreed to contribute a total of $565 million in equity to the reorganized US Airways Group,
subject to a variety of conditions, including confirmation of the plan of reorganization and completion of the merger. The merger is a key
component of the plan of reorganization and is also conditioned upon, among other things, the receipt of at least $375 million from these equity
investors. The plan of reorganization contemplates the cancellation of existing US Airways Group common stock and the issuance of new shares
of reorganized US Airways Group upon emergence from the bankruptcy proceedings and in connection with the merger. On June 30, 2005,
US Airways Group filed the plan of reorganization and its related disclosure statement with the Bankruptcy Court.
Assuming that US Airways Group receives $565 million in equity financing at the effective time of the merger, we expect that former
America West Holdings stockholders will hold approximately 37% of new US Airways Group common stock outstanding immediately following
the merger. Certain former US Airways Group creditors and new equity investors as a group will hold approximately 11% and 52%, respectively,
of new US Airways Group common stock outstanding immediately following the merger. In each case, those percentages are subject to dilution
as a result of any additional equity issuances, including as a result of the proposed rights offering discussed below, and are subject to certain
assumptions concerning the likely exchange of certain convertible debt and securities that are dilutive at the per share purchase price paid by the
equity investors for new US Airways Group common stock shortly after the merger.
The merger cannot be completed unless Holdings’ stockholders adopt the merger agreement and approve the merger. The obligations of
Holdings and US Airways Group to complete the merger are also subject to the satisfaction or waiver of several other conditions, including
clearance from regulatory agencies. On June 23, 2005, the U.S. Department of Justice notified Holdings and US Airways that the Department has
completed its review of the proposed merger of the two airlines and that the waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements
Act of 1976 will expire without a formal request from the Department for additional information. Source AMERICA WEST AIRLINES
INC filed this Form 10-Q on 07/21/05.
I am assuming that all involved can read and understand the above………….that’s the story
folks………sorry if it ruins the peyote induced delusion but reality can do that sometimes. So let’s move
onto another subject because this one is really tired and old and touted by the uninformed.
-----------------------------------------------------------

You really should be recalling your leaders. They're the ones who mandated a "nothing less than DOH" position at the table.

That is not what they advocated. You know it, that makes it a lie and you a liar.

With any DOH comes a plethora of "conditions and restrictions", something you may wish to acquaint yourself with before the next "merger".

DOH with conditions and restrictions would have protected you from a startup acquiring you. Good luck being bought by Virgin America, or Mesa. Some easties will archive their arguments so that you can borrow their material when that happens. I'd call you a moron but that would be unfair to legitimate morons.

DOH with conditions means that a pilot recalled to East before the merger is furloughed before the junior guy on the West properly who brought a job to the merger. Which is grossly unfair.

Very good ussnark. You were able to call me a moron without actually calling me a moron. Good for you. OK, DOH with conditions and restrictions. There, you made me type the whole thing. Certainly didn't mean to "lie". But I still think your leadership was too inflexible in their stance. I still think they should've listened to their merger committee at the beginning. But it really doesn't matter what I think. I always felt that if AWA was in dire straits and some startup merged with us, that there would be gratitude (not neccessarily towards their pilots)that I wasn't starting over. And, I retain my longevity. Either way, both groups would have independant career expectations. And the arbitration would (in it's best way possible) reflect that.
I'm sure you don't think much of a "regional carrier" like AWA, (BTW Mesa isn't a start up)and I'm sure it hurts to think that "those guys" have been "granted" US Airways lofty status in the aviation community. Guess you can just get over it. Or not.

That is not what they advocated. You know it, that makes it a lie and you a liar.

With any DOH comes a plethora of "conditions and restrictions", something you may wish to acquaint yourself with before the next "merger".

DOH with conditions and restrictions would have protected you from a startup acquiring you. Good luck being bought by Virgin America, or Mesa. Some easties will archive their arguments so that you can borrow their material when that happens. I'd call you a moron but that would be unfair to legitimate morons.

DOH with conditions means that a pilot recalled to East before the merger is furloughed before the junior guy on the West properly who brought a job to the merger. Which is grossly unfair.

Not if you build in a downturn condition.