The Honorable Mr Inhofe Comments

wnbubbleboy

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
By God Indiana
WASHINGTON, DC - U.S. Senator James M. Inhofe (R-Okla.) yesterday introduced legislation aiming to increase fair competition between air carriers at Dallas Fort-Worth (D/FW) airport while ensuring continued service to Oklahoma cities. Inhofe made the following statement regarding his 1 Competition Act (S. 1415):

“We are not introducing this bill to oppose the status quo. There has been legislation introduced by Sen. Ensign (R-Nev.) that would open Love Field to nationwide long-haul flights pressuring American Airlines, a major Oklahoma employer and air-service provider, to fragment their base of operation at DFW by splitting flights between Love Field and DFW. This would raise costs and jeopardize existing Oklahoma City, Lawton and Tulsa air-service to Dallas.

“As an individual who has passed through Love Field on many occasions, I can say that Southwest operates a very efficient and successful airline and one that I respect very much. That being said, American Airlines is Tulsa’s largest employer and I have a responsibility to protect not only Oklahoma jobs but also continuing air service to our communities.

“Independent analysis has shown that in addition to the 220 flights lost by Delta Airlines’ recent departure from DFW, repealing Wright, ‘would cost DFW Airport some 204 flights a day, 21 million passengers annually, and slash Airport passenger traffic back to levels seen 20 years ago... DFW would not recover for nearly two decades.’

“Even the former Southwest CEO Herb Kelleher has testified that, ‘there is no city in the United States that has two full-fledged hubs competing against one another successfully.’

“It is a very real scenario given that with American Airlines we now have 12 Tulsa to Dallas, nine Oklahoma City to Dallas and two Lawton to Dallas flights, if Love Field were to open to long-haul nationwide flights we could wind up with as few as four total flights between all three Oklahoma communities and Dallas. This would be devastating to Oklahoma’s economy.

“This legislation would return to the original intent of all the parties involved in the decision to build DFW International by closing Love Field to commercial air traffic. If enacted, competition at DFW will increase significantly benefiting consumers and the surrounding communities that use DFW as their access to the world.

“American Airlines is one of Oklahoma’s largest employers with 8,000 employees in Tulsa alone. I can assure you that as the senior Senator from Oklahoma I am not going to sit idly by as American Airlines is legislated out of business.â€￾

wnbubbleboy said:
“Even the former Southwest CEO Herb Kelleher has testified that, ‘there is no city in the United States that has two full-fledged hubs competing against one another successfully.’
Guess he doesn't consider Houston to be a city?
“It is a very real scenario given that with American Airlines we now have 12 Tulsa to Dallas, nine Oklahoma City to Dallas and two Lawton to Dallas flights, if Love Field were to open to long-haul nationwide flights we could wind up with as few as four total flights between all three Oklahoma communities and Dallas. This would be devastating to Oklahoma’s economy."
And if DAL is closed, SWA would be forced into the higher costs of DFW which would be incentive for them to reduce - or eliminate - the less productive short-haul flights they can make profitably from Love Field. With no competition on the DFW-OKC/DFW-TUL routes, AA would cut back or turn it over entirely to the Eagle. That would really make those Okie passengers happy!
“This legislation would return to the original intent of all the parties involved in the decision to build DFW International by closing Love Field to commercial air traffic.
Let's see. Let's close two more runways to the nation's commercial aviation system and see what type of air traffic delays emerge. What might have (questionably) made sense 25 years ago is completely irresponsible in today's environment.
“American Airlines is one of Oklahoma’s largest employers with 8,000 employees in Tulsa alone. I can assure you that as the senior Senator from Oklahoma I am not going to sit idly by as American Airlines is legislated out of business.â€
[post="283006"][/post]​
.... but I'll be quite happy to help Southwest Airlines be legislated out of business! :down:

I guess we know who's pocket Inhofe has his hAAnd in! :shock:

corl737 said:
Guess he doesn't consider Houston to be a city?

Straight from the horse's mouth (Kelleher): "Southwest doesn't have hubs".

And if DAL is closed, SWA would be forced into the higher costs of DFW which would be incentive for them to reduce - or eliminate - the less productive short-haul flights they can make profitably from Love Field. With no competition on the DFW-OKC/DFW-TUL routes, AA would cut back or turn it over entirely to the Eagle. That would really make those Okie passengers happy!

I really doubt that OKC and TUL would go all Eagle, unless AA decides to draw down DFW ala Delta, which I don't see happening.

Let's see. Let's close two more runways to the nation's commercial aviation system and see what type of air traffic delays emerge. What might have (questionably) made sense 25 years ago is completely irresponsible in today's environment.

DFW has *seven* runways. They don't even use all seven. Having constant flights on two more runways 11 miles away does not help matters.

.... but I'll be quite happy to help Southwest Airlines be legislated out of business! :down:

Oh please, Southwest is not going to go out of business if Love Field is closed. :rolleyes:

Southwest would have been better off with the Wright Amendment in place, but no, they had to go rocking the boat... nice going!

swflyer said:
Glad to see you back in the game, JS. 

Nice consistancy :D
[post="283402"][/post]​

Thanks. I've been busy lately. :)

I don't know if this is being consistent or inconsistent or it's irrelevant, but in two weeks I'm flying Southwest from BDL to PHL, a route on which I used to take US Airways. US pissed me off, so I'm looking forward to WN at PHL (what little good can come from that p.o.s. airport). Like I said before, I fly Southwest within Texas rather than AA, and I would love to see Southwest flying out of DFW. Kick some AAsses!

Straight from the horse's mouth (Kelleher): "Southwest doesn't have hubs".
Whoops, my mistake! Herb's right, as usual. Hubs require spokes; out-and-back flights. SWA's model has aircraft passing through major cities on their way to somewhere else.
DFW has *seven* runways. They don't even use all seven. Having constant flights on two more runways 11 miles away does not help matters.
As a pilot I'll assure you that aircraft flying into Love aren't in the way of DFW at all. In fact, the Dallas metroplex traffic flow is a well orchestrated effort and Love traffic has been routed well below/above/around DFW's traffic just to avoid conflicts.

There are far more air traffic delays at LAX due to departures from Santa Monica (SMO) than at DFW due to Love traffic.)
Oh please, Southwest is not going to go out of business if Love Field is closed.
Neither will AA or DFW go out of business when the Wright Amendment is repealed. I'm 100% sure of my position just as I'll bet you're 100% sure of yours!
Southwest would have been better off with the Wright Amendment in place....
I trust that SWA made a very conscious decision to pursue the repeal effort and did so only after considering the multitude of possible outcomes. Yes, it is possible that the result could backfire and Love Field could be closed to all commercial traffic. I'd bet, however, that SWA would opt for operating from a different regional airport that isn't encompassed by the Wright Amendment or the 1968 Regional Airport Concurrent Bond Ordinance than go to DFW. How about Hensley Field (the old NAS Dallas whose runway is being reopened this summer)? Perhaps Collin Co. Regional Airport in McKinney? We already know they are not against building their own facilities in order to ensure efficient operations. (Look at the new terminal at ISP and the BFI proposal.)

corl737 said:
I trust that SWA made a very conscious decision to pursue the repeal effort and did so only after considering the multitude of possible outcomes. Yes, it is possible that the result could backfire and Love Field could be closed to all commercial traffic. I'd bet, however, that SWA would opt for operating from a different regional airport that isn't encompassed by the Wright Amendment than go to DFW. How about Hensley Field (the old NAS Dallas whose runway is being reopened this summer)? Perhaps Collin Co. Regional Airport in McKinney? We already know they are not against building their own facilities in order to ensure efficient operations. (Look at the new terminal at ISP and the BFI proposal.)
[post="283409"][/post]​

From what I understand, the specifics of the DFW plans (bond agreements, the Wright Amendment, etc.) call for having one airport serve the commercial air travel needs of the D/FW Metroplex. It isn't a regulation on Love Field in particular. If that is the case, it means flying out of TKI, NBE, ADS, RBD, AFW, FTW, FWS, GKY, GPM, etc. is not allowed. Maybe 3F2 (Cisco). ;)

JS said:
From what I understand, the specifics of the DFW plans (bond agreements, the Wright Amendment, etc.) call for having one airport serve the commercial air travel needs of the D/FW Metroplex. It isn't a regulation on Love Field in particular. If that is the case, it means flying out of TKI, NBE, ADS, RBD, AFW, FTW, FWS, GKY, GPM, etc. is not allowed. Maybe 3F2 (Cisco). ;)
[post="283413"][/post]​
The 1968 Bond Ordinance is between the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth. Specifically it states that the cities must "take such steps as may be necessary, appropriate and legally permissible . . . to provide for the orderly, efficient and effective phase-out at Love Field, Redbird, GSIA and Meacham Field, of any and all Certificated Air Carrier Services, and to transfer such activities to the [DFW] Regional Airport." (Reference Here)

Unless there were modifications after 2000, the year of the legal ruling that I referenced above, if it ain't listed it ain't included! I'll bet that NBE is in play and McKinney isn't even a party to that agreement. :D