The Latest From Iam

synchronicity

Advanced
Nov 27, 2002
Here's their blurb from May 12:

"Nothing positive can come from these court proceedings. The only place to settle United’s labor issues is at the bargaining table, not the court room.

To that end, the IAM’s economic advisor today met with his United counterpart in an effort to resolve the outstanding valuation issues necessary to conclude an agreement.

Your negotiating committee remains in Chicago prepared to reach an agreement that settles all outstanding issues, including a replacement pension plan. If an agreement worthy of the membership’s support is not negotiated and the judge rules against us in court, we will strike United Airlines.
"

Ooh, sounds tough, sounds bad, right? Well, the next day:

"In our discussions with United Airlines this week, the valuation issues that we have been disputing for months were finally resolved. Although this hurdle has been removed, more work needs to be done.

Your District 141 Negotiating Committee members are headed home from Chicago this evening, and will return on Sunday. We are developing a comprehensive proposal that we hope to present to United negotiators on Sunday or Monday.
"

So, two things:

A) Anyone wanna bet that IAM and UAL won't come to some last minute agreement before the judge has to rule on the 1113© motion?, and

2) Doesn't IAM see anything just a bit counterproductive in ratcheting up members emotions with the talk of "STRIKE", then presenting some a concessionary agreement? (If you look at the IAM website: http://www.iam141.org/ You'll see a picture at the top with members preparing "on strike" signs, and the first story link is "Urgent strike preparations underway at United."

OK, three things:

iii) http://www.iam141.org/ual.htm#5.16.05a "If the judge rules against us on United's motion to terminate our collective bargaining agreements, we will immediately strike United Airlines. If United did not want to face the prospect of a work stoppage, they should not have bypassed traditional negotiations and sought refuge in the greatly accelerated process under bankruptcy law. "

Hey, guys, if you're serious, then first, you've known for months when the 1113© hearings would be held, and second, ya think a strike against UAL's going to accomplish anything other than either liquidate UAL or have them somehow get by with new hires (as I believe they'd be able to fire any IAM members after the BK judge abrogates the contract).

Yeah, I know, you're standing up to da man. Whatever.

-synchronicity

I love the part about their preparing of 'On Strike' signs. What in the world do they think they're going to do with those 'On Strike' signs? Walk in circles in front of an empty terminal while UAL undergoes liquidation downtown? Are they planning on picketing UAL while awaiting unemployment benefits at the unemployment office? If the IAM wants to help their members, they should place the addresses of local unemployment offices and explain to their membership how to obtain their benefits after their 'strike.' That's the info they should provide at that link. Ditto for AMFA and AFA is that's the road they plan on taking this week or next.

And, of course, I would assume everyone has at least several weeks, if not months, of living expenses in the bank. We're about to find out if we're going to need it.....

In separate negotiations Monday, negotiators for the machinists union presented a new contract proposal to United after spending the weekend away from the bargaining table and were awaiting a response, spokesman Joseph Tiberi said.

"If we can't get something done by the time he rules, then we walk off," Tiberi said. "It'll be a tense couple of days."

ualdriver said:
I love the part about their preparing of 'On Strike' signs. What in the world do they think they're going to do with those 'On Strike' signs? Walk in circles in front of an empty terminal while UAL undergoes liquidation downtown? Are they planning on picketing UAL while awaiting unemployment benefits at the unemployment office? ...
And, of course, I would assume everyone has at least several weeks, if not months, of living expenses in the bank. We're about to find out if we're going to need it.....
[post="270205"][/post]​

Which brings up a question, just in case anyone out there is actually reading this thread...

If IAM does go on strike, will their members receive any payments from IAM? Do they have a "strike fund" or something with which to give some payments to members? If so, how much would payments be, and how often would they be paid (monthyl, bi-weekly?) Are the payments contingent on members spending a certain amount of time walking the picket lines?

These are NOT academic questions for me.

As for the living expenses saved up, not as much as we'd like, although both of us have been maxing out our 401(k)'s and Roth IRA's for a number of years (no, I wasn't factoring the UAL pension into our retirement plans, either).

-synchronicity