The Max is Back

After everything that's happened in 2020, I seriously doubt people are going to remember anything wrong with the Max. For every 1 pax freaked out by that airplane model, there are 1000x who are simply freaked out by airplanes in general.

After everything that's happened in 2020, I seriously doubt people are going to remember anything wrong with the Max. For every 1 pax freaked out by that airplane model, there are 1000x who are simply freaked out by airplanes in general.
I don't make my comment as an airline employee....I make it as an ignorant customer who saw articles...not generally very good articles...about the Max on an almost daily basis. Yeah I know..Airbus has way more computer controls than the Max, but a lot of those articles left me with an uneasy feeling about Boeing management and their priorities. Sadly it seems that the merger between Boeing and McDonnell Douglas was actually McDonald Douglas management buying the Boeing plants. There was a time that I said "if it's not Boeing, I'm not going". Given headlines not only about the Max, but of the 787 and 777X, I'm rethinking that.

Also...I might agree with your statement if we had the media that we had the early 70's, where reports about the DC10 problems were few on the media sources. Today, just opening any news source shows articles critical of the Max and Boeing. IMHO, they should have scrapped the plane and spent the last year and a half designing a new plane. I'm curious though...the selling point of the Max was it was "just like the other 737's" and wouldn't require significant training or a new type rating. I wonder if pilots will need to be certified to fly it.

Last edited:
I don't make my comment as an airline employee....I make it as an ignorant customer who saw articles...not generally very good articles...about the Max on an almost daily basis. Yeah I know..Airbus has way more computer controls than the Max, but a lot of those articles left me with an uneasy feeling about Boeing management and their priorities. Sadly it seems that the merger between Boeing and McDonnell Douglas was actually McDonald Douglas management buying the Boeing plants. There was a time that I said "if it's not Boeing, I'm not going". Given headlines not only about the Max, but of the 787 and 777X, I'm rethinking that.

Also...I might agree with your statement if we had the media that we had the early 70's, where reports about the DC10 problems were few on the media sources. Today, just opening any news source shows articles critical of the Max and Boeing. IMHO, they should have scrapped the plane and spent the last year and a half designing a new plane. I'm curious though...the selling point of the Max was it was "just like the other 737's" and wouldn't require significant training or a new type rating. I wonder if pilots will need to be certified to fly it.

I don't see a new type rating for it. .Probably some differences training more sim time. To be honest I would have no problems flying on the MAX now. It has been grounded for 2 years and put through the ringer it is probably going to be one of the safest flying once it gets back in the air. Also people for the most part are ignorant in regards to aviation. Most do not know the differences in airplanes they look at price and that's about it. If the media keeps bringing a spot light to it and scaring the hell out of everyone like they did with COVID then yes people will avoid it.

I don't see a new type rating for it. .Probably some differences training more sim time. To be honest I would have no problems flying on the MAX now. It has been grounded for 2 years and put through the ringer it is probably going to be one of the safest flying once it gets back in the air. Also people for the most part are ignorant in regards to aviation. Most do not know the differences in airplanes they look at price and that's about it. If the media keeps bringing a spot light to it and scaring the hell out of everyone like they did with COVID then yes people will avoid it.
It may be too late. Pretty much any news feed had SOMETHING about the MAX every day. Time will tell I guess.

Well, of course you would know better than any of the rest of us.

I see what my airline's daily bookings are, and the drop in traffic that happened with the spikes and cancellations of Thanksgiving by various blue state governors... so yeah, I'd say it's a safe bet that people are still more freaked out about getting on an airplane than they are about the type of airplane.

How much of the flying public would/will actually know what type of plane they're getting on, or ever give it a second thought? We all do, 'cause we either work in the industry or are fans of it. Everyone else?

How much of the flying public would/will actually know what type of plane they're getting on, or ever give it a second thought? We all do, 'cause we either work in the industry or are fans of it. Everyone else?
You might be right...if the price is right, there are people who would board a plane with an engine on fire. But we'll see I guess. Back in the 70's when the DC10 had it's problems with cargo door latches, people might have heard one 30 second story about it, and never think about it when booking a flight on a DC10. But these days, news feeds usually had one story per day pointing out the flaw in the MAX as well as pointing out Boeing management. They MIGHT wonder what kind of plane they are getting on.

Something tells me the people who are hyper-concerned about setting foot on a Max are the same people who won't get on an airplane again until either COVID has burned out or there's a critical mass of people who have opted to take the vaccine...

So let 'em wonder. Maybe after a year of no accidents they'll overcome their phobia.

That was the biggest issue I saw. FAA letting Boeing write off type certifications was a stupid move also.