The View From The Passenger's Seat.

customer

Dec 27, 2004
I learned of this site while searching the web this past weekend in hopes of finding some news of what the heck was going on with our luggage. Decided to join upon my return to Atlanta Monday, after the one bag that had been located was lost again. Not to post anything, just hoping to learn something. After reading through the posts related to USAir’s Philadelphia problems, I decided to throw in my two cents, only because I hadn't seen anything from the passengers’ point of view. So here goes, worth everything you paid for it:

Background: Thursday 12/23 Flying from Atlanta to parents' house in upstate NY with connection in Philly. Return trip on Monday 12/27. Same route in reverse.

For what was predicted only two or three days earlier as being a record-setting day for the Atlanta airport, US Air decided to staff a whole three people at their counter Thursday morning! One serving first class, the other helping people at the "self-serve" kiosks, and a whole one person working the line! Can't blame this one on weather.

Cancelled flights, delays, rebookings, overbookings, standby, etc. You know the story…

Thursday night at Philly F terminal (mid-meltdown at ground zero), US Air had a whole 4 people working! One milling about ignoring the long line of customers cursing him. Three actually helping customers. At 10pm sharp, one of the three put on her coat and left. Down to two!

Got to NY Thursday way late (which itself was way lucky considering). All bags missing. Waited for next flight in from Philly (only 30 minutes behind us). Not on that one. Drove up the next morning also. Not on that one. Started to notice a trend: Lots of bags seemed to be coming off the planes, but none were for the passengers who just got off. Started to think something was up.

Found out what was up Friday afternoon, as word of a Union sick-out hit the news.

Local airport in NY wouldn't answer the phone, so I had to drive up there 6 or 7 times over the weekend. That's always fun.

Found one bag Sunday morning at 1AM. (Yes, I was at the airport Christmas night at 1AM.)

Checked that bag back to Atlanta Monday morning. It's now been lost again.

Return trip was just as chaotic as the original. Cancelled flights, delays, rebookings, overbookings, standby, etc. You know the story…

Misc Comments/Observations:

The company seems to have gone to great lengths to make absolutely sure there's absolutely no way you can get a human being on the phone. The automated Baggage Help (Alex) is absolutely worthless. (BTW, "Alex" won't discuss claims over 4 days old; he just tries to forward you to the operator, which then disconnects you. So beginning yesterday even "Alex" stopped working.) The website Baggage Query page is absolutely worthless. And when I actually drive to the airport to talk to a human being... You guessed it. They're absolutely worthless.

At a previous job we had a phrase for projects that had been recognized as failed by the workers, but not officially cancelled. It was known as "smell of death". Characterized by a unique attitude among those assigned. A mixture of calm, peaceful acceptance coupled with lack of motivation and/or stress. People would work almost in slow motion. Not happy, but not unhappy either. Kinda weird atmosphere all in all.

US Air has the "smell of death". Employees have obviously given up. From GA to PA to NY. All of 'em.

Having spent the last few days learning about your company, now I know why. I'm fairly confident that you will in liquidation by February. Ya' see, Uncle Sam's been co-signing your loan applications the last few quarters, and come January he's not gonna do that anymore. Your company will need to secure a substantial amount of money (between $500 and $800 million from what I’ve read) based on its own credit-worthiness or the game is over. After this, no investor in their right mind will give you guys a dime.

So after all that, what's the passenger's opinion? Sc**w you guys. All of you. 30,000 people are gonna lose their jobs because of your Union. Oh well. 30,000 less Union members to donate to the Communist Party. 30,000 more people in this country that now understand the danger of the Union mob mentality. Plenty of cheap slightly used 737s for AirTran. Plenty of freshly vacated gate space for people and companies who care about their customers. And plenty of employees at the remaining airlines who get yet another opportunity to see their fate if they play the same game.

All in all, laying all of you off will be good for the industry, good for the country, and good for the consumer. And all of us who got sc**wed by your Union will celebrate the day it happens.

Boy, you sure showed them!

I doubt that bob, if anyone had half-a-brain, they would know union members are not communists, I mean this person lost all credibility in that post.

your post is not pointless and it is not worthless..

.thank you for taking the time

to describe how you were affected by this event.

have a very strong feeling that the sec of the dot..mineta

will

read your post.

sorry you had to experience this mess.

sorry that you and many others went through this mess

or worse.

thank you for posting your thoughts..

customer, I think what you went through sucks. I really do. I realize the topic of airlines doesn't bring that warm and fuzzy feeling to the American public. All the media covers is the screw ups, the let downs, basically everything horrible that happens when you fly on an airplane. Despite the lost bags; I assume from this posting on the Internet that your plane did land safely? At least US Airways accomplished that. I know you're caught up in what happened to you; and you are more than justified in your anger. But you crossed the line in wishing that 30,000 union members lose their jobs. While your bag was misplaced it isn't lost unlike the thousands of US Airways workers that are losing:

Homes
Savings
Health
Family

In the end, a piece of luggage is just a bag and is not worth more than any human. Just my two cents...

EyeInTheSky said:
customer, I think what you went through sucks. I really do. I realize the topic of airlines doesn't bring that warm and fuzzy feeling to the American public. All the media covers is the screw ups, the let downs, basically everything horrible that happens when you fly on an airplane. Despite the lost bags; I assume from this posting on the Internet that your plane did land safely? At least US Airways accomplished that. I know you're caught up in what happened to you; and you are more than justified in your anger. But you crossed the line in wishing that 30,000 union members lose their jobs. While your bag was misplaced it isn't lost unlike the thousands of US Airways workers that are losing:

Homes
Savings
Health
Family

In the end, a piece of luggage is just a bag and is not worth more than any human. Just my two cents...
[post="233457"][/post]​
EyeInTheSky.......Well Said.

. . .
So after all that, what's the passenger's opinion? Sc**w you guys. All of you. 30,000 people are gonna lose their jobs because of your Union. Oh well. 30,000 less Union members to donate to the Communist Party. 30,000 more people in this country that now understand the danger of the Union mob mentality. Plenty of cheap slightly used 737s for AirTran. Plenty of freshly vacated gate space for people and companies who care about their customers. And plenty of employees at the remaining airlines who get yet another opportunity to see their fate if they play the same game.

All in all, laying all of you off will be good for the industry, good for the country, and good for the consumer. And all of us who got sc**wed by your Union will celebrate the day it happens.

[post="233444"][/post]​
[/quote]

700:

I'll bet "Customer" is being quite restrained in the description of the poor customer service experience he endured at the hands of USAirways. Plenty of blame to share between labor and management. Plenty of posts portraying both sides of that issue, which I'm sure you have read.

"Customer" is king. Always was. Always will be. Voting with their feet and their dollars. Not for USAirways any longer, I surmise.

You might remember that it took a handful of dedicated terrorists to bring the nation's air transportation system to a standstill back in 2001. It only took 80 labor terrorists in PHL to accomplish a similar goal over the Christmas Holiday. Only this time they caused an airline to collapse.

By the way, you seem to be continuously on this site. You aren't doing this on company time are you?

B)
us0004us said:
a piece of luggage is just a bag that a customer

has paid money so that they may arrive at a destination

at the same moment..on the same aircraft..

safe and without harm
[post="233460"][/post]​

True. I am not defending what happened in PHL. Where "customer" lost my respect is wishing for 30,000 people to lose their jobs. The note started out in reality and ended in a vindictive tone. My point is, a bag is just a bag, peoples' lives at this company are being ruined. However, I don't expect a customer whose sole purpose in life is to worry about a bag to understand that.

[quo Oh well. 30,000 less Union members to donate to the Communist Party.
[post="233444"][/post]​
[/quote]

I'm with 700UW....that makes no sense, and it's a cheap.....too often used.....cheapshot.

. . .

[post="233444"][/post]​
[/quote]

You know, I understand why a passenger is angry and upset with Usairways, and at when I started to read it I was empathizing with her. But when she started her diatribe and swearing, she lost the sympathetic ear. Of course Usairwas employees understand the situation, and of course it is not all employees. But this is person with no class, kinda reminds me of many passengers I use to deal with. Kinda makes you lose sympathy real quick. I can just see her yelling and screaming and making a scene, and spewing her venum. And she certainly didnt enlighten us or tell us anything new, just showed what kind of person she really is, and she wished failure on 30,000 employees because she was inconvenienced and had to drive to the airport.

700UW said:
I doubt that bob, if anyone had half-a-brain, they would know union members are not communists, I mean this person lost all credibility in that post.
[post="233449"][/post]​

Geeez, you are in a dream world. The media is crushing your union brothers and having US on their resume as a PHL employee is only going to hurt them when they look for a job. The people who make up the public, who got screwed over last week, are going to be the people interviewing US employees when the doors close.

EyeInTheSky said:
B)
My point is, a bag is just a bag, peoples' lives at this company are being ruined. However, I don't expect a customer whose sole purpose in life is to worry about a bag to understand that.
[post="233466"][/post]​

wonder how many employees,
union and non union,
would react like customer
after paying money for that service,like customer..

if it makes any of you "customer" non-believers put any more weight in what they said i'm a us2 and i pretty much echo everything he/she said (up until the very end) - because i experienced it first hand as well. even the stupidity of the automated bag udpates. loosing a bag is one thing, cancelling flights is another, but the complete stonewalling by customer service is another.

you're right, a bag is only a bag. peoples livelihoods are much more important. which is why i can't believe there are so many people at us can't get it through their heads that people's wallets won't pay for their insobordination too much longer. so, a bag isn't just a bag, it's your jobs if it drives that "customer" (or any customer - especially one that flies 80k/year) away.

there are thousands of employees trying to right the wrongs of a very vocal few. i honestly hope the wrongs are eliminated, before they eliminate everyone.

best of luck to everyone in the new year. i'm pulling for you.

Hey customer

I wonder is you enjoy vacation time and sick days and health insurance
well if you do thank them communist Union lobbies that fought to have congress pass laws so idiots like you can enjoy these benefits....

And next time why not take Delta ..they lose more bags on their good day than any usairways does on their bad day...