This Company Needs A True Leader

OldpropGuy

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
Perhaps it's just too much to expect. A true leader has the ability to rally the troops to the challenge at hand. His employees will follow him to hell and back, if necessary. I don't think threats and lies will allow one to obtain this level of employee loyalty and the resulting company success which follows.

Maybe it's just a legend of times past. This ability to lead cannot be taught in business school! For some examples look at:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...G=Google+Search

An example from:
http://www.airsider.net/files/2002/0902/00...02/pi_page3.htm

I first met Tom Davis (the founder and chairman of Piedmont) in early 1970 when his flight had an intermediate stop at our station - Fayetteville, NC. He walked up to me and introduced himself by name not mentioning his title, and said that I must be new (true), because he had not previously met me. From that day forward he always called me by name, as was his practice to do with his employees. He treated us as though we were his family, and that created camaraderie within our work family that I have not see elsewhere. He instilled a common respect and dignity within us that remains to this day. Mr. Davis fostered a true spirit of oneness, and created the mindset that we were not simply an employee of Piedmont, but that we were Piedmont Airlines. His example of leadership was exemplary beyond those seen elsewhere. He accomplished many great things in the aviation industry. Tom Davis was bold yet humble, and he walked as tall with his employees as he did with the political and social hierarchy.

I feel blessed to have known Tom Davis, and I am thankful to have wonderful memories of him. It is truly my great pleasure to have been a part of his company that set the standard of “just how good an airline can really beâ€￾. I am proud to be a member of the Piedmont family.

If I had the opportunity to see and speak with Tom Davis one more time I believe I would say: Thank you Mr. Davis for sharing yourself and your airline with us. Job well done. God’s peace …. until we meet again.

Johnny Fermanides – Piedmont Airlines, Fayetteville, NC 1969-1993

Another article includes:

When Davis retired in 1983, airline employees demonstrated their affection by organizing a huge retirement party in Winston-Salem, giving him a Mercedes-Benz, which he drove the rest of his life, and establishing scholarships in his name at Wake Forest University.

Excuse me Dave, but I just cant see this happening with you. You just don't appear to be up to the task.

:unsure: