This hostile takeover attempt was long overdue

nostradamus

Veteran
Dec 7, 2004
Willingness to change is a strength, even if it means plunging part of the company into total confusion for a while.
Jack Welch

“I believe that a shake up was long overdue in the Airline Industry.

I think that Mr. Parkers timing of cashing in on his stock options was ill timed and insensitive.

But one thing you have to say about this gentleman is that his greed is no different than his predecessors, his vision sets him apart from the rest.

If anyone on this message boards can do better, keep this to yourself, become a CEO and return to this board and tell us how you became successful.

You are the predator or the prey, you are not a victim.

Paying employees industry standards will help."

My opinion
Not the real Nostradamus, it is only my message board name.

One does not have to be President of the United States to know or pass judgement on whether the sitting President is accomplishing the goals of the people whose vision is the vision of the people. One only has to see how one is effected by these works as well as how one sees how the world is effected.

In that same vein, one does not have to be a CEO of a company to pass judgement on whether a CEO is achieving the targets of the company while at the same time making the company one that employees are proud to work for and others would be happy to be hired and work for.

Dougie's greed along with his vision is no different than his predecessors. He was not the first to think up "consolidation" in the industry, or gobbling up your compeititon; and he surely won't be the last to pursue it.

Pitbull, would you agree that DP could be much more "greedy" if he so choosed? A robber baron he isn't. From the day after 9/11, AWA and now US Airways has exceeded everyone's expectations. Some props should be given. One the other hand labor negotiations are not moving at satisfactory speed. So far as I know (I still have contacts) no one has received enema kits in the mail, rotten liverwurst, or any other disgusting objects. In contrast US Airways employees are on the verge of receiving a bonus check for working together as a team to make US Airways profitable for 2006. This in the face of record fuel prices.

All things summed is a positive. JMO. Hats off to all those working hard to make it happen...and a special hello to my friends in Tech-Ops. I hear Julie is back! Will and Mike...stop fighting LOL! Kyle have you used that fish finder I gave you yet? Char, Karla, Joe, Rosie...lord I know I can't mention everyone....Miss you guys!

Eric,

To answer your question, I think Doug's greed is on par with every other exec. You didn't notice greed back in the AWA days as they too suffered BK, Franke, 9/11, ATSB woes. You see it now because it is so in everyone's face.

The profit sharing you speak of won't make a dent for these employees. Wage increase would have more of a positive effect.

BTW, fuel prices have decreased and have stayed below $58 a barrel for many many months. Whether U BOD emerged as a stand alone, or merged, U was positioned to become profitable because of the debt reconstruction in BK and significant reduction in wages, benefits and terminated pension plans.

Where have you been locked up?

When it comes to the disparity of benefit between Execs and labor, I don't think I will ever share your perspective until there is some significant postive changes with labor's contracts.

Its great to work for a profitable company, and I am sure this is very realized by the investors, stock holders, and execs in such a short time. But, for the employees that I've come across, its just another day at work.

Eric,

To answer your question, I think Doug's greed is on par with every other exec. You didn't notice greed back in the AWA days as they too suffered BK, Franke, 9/11, ATSB woes. You see it now because it is so in everyone's face.

The profit sharing you speak of won't make a dent for these employees. Wage increase would have more of a positive effect.

BTW, fuel prices have decreased and have stayed below $58 a barrel for many many months. Whether U BOD emerged as a stand alone, or merged, U was positioned to become profitable because of the debt reconstruction in BK and significant reduction in wages, benefits and terminated pension plans.

Where have you been locked up?

When it comes to the disparity of benefit between Execs and labor, I don't think I will ever share your perspective until there is some significant postive changes with labor's contracts.

Its great to work for a profitable company, and I am sure this is very realized by the investors, stock holders, and execs in such a short time. But, for the employees that I've come across, its just another day at work.

Well, in a free market capitalistic society it's set up to allow runaway executive salaries. Not an individual's fault neccessarily. Should DP show more loyalty towards the employees. Absolutely...get those labor contracts moving! Unfortunately employees are at the bottom of the pay food scale. If U continues to be profitable over the next two to three years without significant benefit in the bottom line to frontline employees I'll change my perspective. Perhaps lengthy negotiations will improve labor's position for more, so long as U remains profitable...