This Is How We Roll.......

staffing sux

Aug 31, 2005
This is how we roll……….

Here at America West Airlines, we have a pretty simple life. We live in Phoenix, a Metropolis that is made up of people from around the country. Our airline, for the most part, runs smoothly. The customers seem to like the service they receive and are always supportive of the changes that we have had to make because the economy. One of the main reasons for this is the employees. A Flight Attendant spends the most time with our customer and, as you know, can be the make or break in a tough industry. If you don’t believe me, talk to many of my customers. Like the Phoenix area, many of our customers are from Phoenix and support the home town airline. But many come from other cities and other airlines. They are fed up with the poor service, bad attitudes, lack of genuine care, and a true love of the job that many Flight Attendants have lost. It does not take much to care for a passenger, a coworker, or the job. In a time that demands for a Flight Attendant to step up to the plate and excel in all they do, many Flight Attendants have a problem meeting these caring benchmarks. Sure, they are technically competent. But the rest leaves a lot to be desired. When an airline has imposed wage cuts, retirement cuts, and benefit cuts, it is evident that to survive, a Flight Attendant becomes one of the sole tools to keep the airlines customers coming back. This is not the case though. Out of Chicago, my passengers avoid United like the plague. “I’m happy to see you†they say. In Pittsburgh, you would have thought the Berlin Wall came down when America West started flying there. I could almost hear people rejoice “We’re freeâ€! You know, America West was offering reciprocating flying status to lure the Elites from other airlines. Meaning, if you are a platinum somewhere else, they will make you platinum for the year. The following year the Elite had to work at it. I’m not sure if they still are. I bet they are. We had a great response from it. The bottom line is, at America West, we strive to survive. The Flight Attendant is a rock upon which the customers foundation sits. Oh sure, we have a few week links. But for the most part, we are solid in our effort to provide the best level of customer service. As the merger between America West and US Airways moves forward, and the seniority integration becomes more of degradation and humiliation for America West with the outdated bylaws of AFA, make a note. The fact that we will be called US Airways is merely interesting. They said it is a more recognized name. It is. Most people recognize it as a bottom of the barrel, down right piss-poor airline. Much of it is service related. This is me and my coworkers airline. We care in all we do. Customer service excellence. Our Flight Attendants service and attitude is one of the major reasons we are still here. If you don’t like it, you can go. Call it retiring, quitting, early out, whatever. If you don’t want to “Get On Board†with that, we don’t want you here. If you don’t like the tone I take. If you are mad and want to take you ball and go home, that’s fine. We have our own ball. We play pretty good too. I know because I carry your passengers every day. They swear they would never go back. Now they have to. Move forward to greatness here at my airline. Don’t wreck it like you and your management did to yours. If you are willing to sign on for that, then welcome. I’ll be proud to call you my coworker.

THIS IS HOW WE ROLL

Matthew Gardner
Flight Attendant
America West Airlines

staffing sux said:
This is how we roll……….

Here at America West Airlines, we have a pretty simple life. We live in Phoenix, a Metropolis that is made up of people from around the country. Our airline, for the most part, runs smoothly. The customers seem to like the service they receive and are always supportive of the changes that we have had to make because the economy. One of the main reasons for this is the employees. A Flight Attendant spends the most time with our customer and, as you know, can be the make or break in a tough industry. If you don’t believe me, talk to many of my customers. Like the Phoenix area, many of our customers are from Phoenix and support the home town airline. But many come from other cities and other airlines. They are fed up with the poor service, bad attitudes, lack of genuine care, and a true love of the job that many Flight Attendants have lost. It does not take much to care for a passenger, a coworker, or the job. In a time that demands for a Flight Attendant to step up to the plate and excel in all they do, many Flight Attendants have a problem meeting these caring benchmarks. Sure, they are technically competent. But the rest leaves a lot to be desired. When an airline has imposed wage cuts, retirement cuts, and benefit cuts, it is evident that to survive, a Flight Attendant becomes one of the sole tools to keep the airlines customers coming back. This is not the case though. Out of Chicago, my passengers avoid United like the plague. “I’m happy to see you†they say. In Pittsburgh, you would have thought the Berlin Wall came down when America West started flying there. I could almost hear people rejoice “We’re freeâ€! You know, America West was offering reciprocating flying status to lure the Elites from other airlines. Meaning, if you are a platinum somewhere else, they will make you platinum for the year. The following year the Elite had to work at it. I’m not sure if they still are. I bet they are. We had a great response from it. The bottom line is, at America West, we strive to survive. The Flight Attendant is a rock upon which the customers foundation sits. Oh sure, we have a few week links. But for the most part, we are solid in our effort to provide the best level of customer service. As the merger between America West and US Airways moves forward, and the seniority integration becomes more of degradation and humiliation for America West with the outdated bylaws of AFA, make a note. The fact that we will be called US Airways is merely interesting. They said it is a more recognized name. It is. Most people recognize it as a bottom of the barrel, down right piss-poor airline. Much of it is service related. This is me and my coworkers airline. We care in all we do. Customer service excellence. Our Flight Attendants service and attitude is one of the major reasons we are still here. If you don’t like it, you can go. Call it retiring, quitting, early out, whatever. If you don’t want to “Get On Board†with that, we don’t want you here. If you don’t like the tone I take. If you are mad and want to take you ball and go home, that’s fine. We have our own ball. We play pretty good too. I know because I carry your passengers every day. They swear they would never go back. Now they have to. Move forward to greatness here at my airline. Don’t wreck it like you and your management did to yours. If you are willing to sign on for that, then welcome. I’ll be proud to call you my coworker.

THIS IS HOW WE ROLL

Matthew Gardner
Flight Attendant
America West Airlines
[post="295446"][/post]​
I only have one thing to say. If this has been an outdated policy, why wait until you are directly affected to do something about a policy in affect for over 20 years. It seems as though you are bitter about being merged with a far more senior company and losing seniority than concerned about an "outdated policy" at AFA. Be honest, it's ok. You will still have your precious Phoenix all to yourselves.
Thanks,
US Airways F/A

I am not hung up on the seniority thing. I am letting you know about our culture of service. Obviously you missed the meaning of the letter. You should skip down to the part about leaving.

staffing sux said:
I am not hung up on the seniority thing. I am letting you know about our culture of service. Obviously you missed the meaning of the letter. You should skip down to the part about leaving.
[post="295454"][/post]​
Actually, I got it. I think you need to reread it an get it yourself. Your "beloved culture" wants to screw their fellow AFA members out of years of hard work. If you don't like the rules, maybe you should leave, Sir.

Our "beloved culture" just wants this whole thing to be FAIR. Why didn't we look at changing an oudated bylaw before? Maybe because we were feeling really comfortable where we were and the idea of a merger with another airline never seemed real until now. Even with the ATA deal it was different, as it would not have been a complete merger. We're not asking to have you "stapled" to the bottom of the seniority list...we're asking for what is FAIR. With DOH we at AWA are basically "stapled" to the bottom of the seniority list. You guys want it all your way, or no way....we are just asking for something in the middle that is FAIR. Your company treated you like crap and you're angry...understood. Really....understood. But don't pass that anger on to us by not being able to see our side of this too. No one should be disadvantaged because of this merger.

I dont' mean to generalize, because postings come from only about a dozen (if that) employees from both airlines. But, it seems like US employees are totally unwilling to work out a compromise, while HP employees are willing to. I'm not just talking about how seniority is determined in the unions, but also whether or not DOH or check-in time should be used for non-reving. If the majority of the US employees do have such an attitude, I believe they will settle for nothing less than "having it their way". If they are forced to compromise, they will become bitter at the new airline and that will affect the service provided to the passengers who pay their salaries.

Again, I don't want to generalize, but I have seen little to no sign of compromise from the US employees on these boards.

rjh said:
I dont' mean to generalize, because postings come from only about a dozen (if that) employees from both airlines. But, it seems like US employees are totally unwilling to work out a compromise, while HP employees are willing to. I'm not just talking about how seniority is determined in the unions, but also whether or not DOH or check-in time should be used for non-reving. If the majority of the US employees do have such an attitude, I believe they will settle for nothing less than "having it their way". If they are forced to compromise, they will become bitter at the new airline and that will affect the service provided to the passengers who pay their salaries.

Again, I don't want to generalize, but I have seen little to no sign of compromise from the US employees on these boards.
[post="295461"][/post]​

Uh oh, Matt found the boards. :D

bootRiggle said:
I only have one thing to say. If this has been an outdated policy, why wait until you are directly affected to do something about a policy in affect for over 20 years. It seems as though you are bitter about being merged with a far more senior company and losing seniority than concerned about an "outdated policy" at AFA. Be honest, it's ok. You will still have your precious Phoenix all to yourselves.
Thanks,
US Airways F/A
[post="295451"][/post]​

AFA's Constitution and By-Laws are NOT outdated. We at AWA must adhere to date-of-hire with regard to seniority. It is FAIR. PERIOD. Many flight attendants at AWA fear being bumped out of PHX. There is NOTHING TO FEAR with date-of-hire. Like I said before, on this forum and my own AFA forum, date of hire is the only way to integrate seniority. We at AWA must deal with it, stop fearing it, and do what is right. ALL of us must stop this fighting, finger pointing, and get over it. Most importantly, GET ON WITH IT! B)

One way to ensure that you pi$$ us off is to continue talking to us in that manner. Until we see what transpires I suggest that you keep your sissy ass attitude to yourself. This group has been through enough in the last few years and we don't need lectures from some junior Phoenix "boy". So keep it out of my face pal, we all have enough to worry about without you flitting around causing trouble. So far my experiences with the HP folks have been all positive. Put a lid on the lectures buddy, you really should be careful about pi$$ing us off.

Hey Matt, welcome to the board. Lot's of arrogant gasbags around here; you'll fit right in.

That junior "phoenix boy" is one of the greatest flight attendants ever to come online.

The only reason he posted that letter was because of reading the wrotten attitudes that are seeping cancerous ooze from your fingers when you type.

It's obvious you don't care about the impression you make on anyone. Otherwise we wouldn't have our cutomers all worried we will turn out as bitter old hags when we merge.

But don't worry. Your tired old attitude will be wiped away, because we know how to remain positive in the face of adversity.

Do you think you are the only flight attendants that had to take a pay cut?
Do you think you are the only ones who had to survive a bankruptcy?
Do you think only your management team was a bunch of incompetent morons?

Well guess again!!
We, in our short 23 year existance have been through it all too.

The only difference...We keep on making our customers come back because we LOVE our jobs and know how to make them feel welcome!

We only ask that you do the same. And if that is too much to ask, then go destroy your local McDonald's with your wrotten attitudes.

But don't ruin the best thing to happen to your precious US Airways.
America West is going to be like a shot of adrenaline so strong it will change the east coast severely.
And if you aren't ready to handle an attitude change...HIT THE ROAD.

But if you ARE willing to drop that "I'm better than you because I'm old as dirt" attitude. Then GET ONBOARD!
You will find we are a family that has its tiffs like any other. But we know how to make this family work.

bootRiggle said:
Actually, I got it. I think you need to reread it an get it yourself. Your "beloved culture" wants to screw their fellow AFA members out of years of hard work.
[post="295457"][/post]​

.....We understand that you want to protect your seniority and you are going to fight for that. That's fine! But what about your "beloved culture" ? US folks don't seem to want to compromise and just wants to keep everything the same including the non-rev policies. I'm sorry, but the "Old" work rules, the "Old" company policies and the "Old" negative, sour attitudes has to go. This is going to be new airline now and it's time to let it go.

Just relax HPeople. The rotten attitudes you may see on this website are just people
spouting off. My guess is that 90-plus percent of US employees don't know
USAviation exists.

staffing sux said:
This is how we roll……….

Here at America West Airlines, we have a pretty simple life. We live in Phoenix, a Metropolis that is made up of people from around the country.  Our airline, for the most part, runs smoothly. The customers seem to like the service they receive and are always supportive of the changes that we have had to make because the economy. One of the main reasons for this is the employees. A Flight Attendant spends the most time with our customer and, as you know, can be the make or break in a tough industry. If you don’t believe me, talk to many of my customers. Like the Phoenix area, many of our customers are from Phoenix and support the home town airline. But many come from other cities and other airlines. They are fed up with the poor service, bad attitudes, lack of genuine care, and a true love of the job that many Flight Attendants have lost. It does not take much to care for a passenger, a coworker, or the job. In a time that demands for a Flight Attendant to step up to the plate and excel in all they do, many Flight Attendants have a problem meeting these caring benchmarks. Sure, they are technically competent. But the rest leaves a lot to be desired. When an airline has imposed wage cuts, retirement cuts, and benefit cuts, it is evident that to survive, a Flight Attendant becomes one of the sole tools to keep the airlines customers coming back. This is not the case though. Out of Chicago, my passengers avoid United like the plague. “I’m happy to see you†they say. In Pittsburgh, you would have thought the Berlin Wall came down when America West started flying there. I could almost hear people rejoice “We’re freeâ€! You know, America West was offering reciprocating flying status to lure the Elites from other airlines. Meaning, if you are a platinum somewhere else, they will make you platinum for the year. The following year the Elite had to work at it.  I’m not sure if they still are. I bet they are. We had a great response from it. The bottom line is, at America West, we strive to survive. The Flight Attendant is a rock upon which the customers foundation sits. Oh sure, we have a few week links. But for the most part, we are solid in our effort to provide the best level of customer service. As the merger between America West and US Airways moves forward, and the seniority integration becomes more of degradation and humiliation for America West with the outdated bylaws of AFA, make a note. The fact that we will be called US Airways is merely interesting. They said it is a more recognized name. It is. Most people recognize it as a bottom of the barrel, down right piss-poor airline. Much of it is service related. This is me and my coworkers airline. We care in all we do. Customer service excellence. Our Flight Attendants service and attitude  is one of the major reasons we are still here. If you don’t like it, you can go. Call it retiring, quitting, early out, whatever. If you don’t want to “Get On Board†with that, we don’t want you here. If you don’t like the tone I take. If you are mad and want to take you ball and go home, that’s fine. We have our own ball. We play pretty good too. I know because I carry your passengers every day. They swear they would never go back. Now they have to.  Move forward to greatness here at my airline. Don’t wreck it like you and your management did to yours. If you are willing to sign on for that, then welcome. I’ll be proud to call you my coworker.

THIS IS HOW WE ROLL

Matthew Gardner
Flight Attendant
America West Airlines
[post="295446"][/post]​

As an America West Employee, and a former TWAer that had the honor to work with very senior employees, I have to say that this post has nothing to do with sincerity, but designed to be inflammatory. Mr. Gardner, even if I sympathize with what you say, because of the way you said, you lost all sympathy. They say that you are an asset to this company, but a valuable employee would not write something as meaningless as this post. I'm not going to get into a seniority argument because with my experience in the AA/TWA merger, that's not going to solve anything. It's the attitude that counts, and frankly, to read such a post from an HP employee is disappointing to say the least. Every airline has had its ups and downs, and to gloat around how everyone is fleeing other airlines to fly America West is silly at the least and a delusion at most. It's certainly not an argument you can hold in any seniority integration forum. I hope you rethink this post and the attitude carried with it so we can all move forward and create a good airline that will be strong, and not weak because of attitudes like this

Latest posts