This Week’s Interesting News

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com

This Week’s Interesting News

Lawmaker: Pittsburgh’s days as airline hub ending

According to the July 5 Beaver County Times, the days of Pittsburgh International Airport being a mainline airline hub for US Airways are numbered, but it could still be a major regional jetport, U.S. Rep. Tim Murphy said Thursday. Murphy, R-18, Upper St. Clair Township, told members of the Pittsburgh Airport Area Chamber of Commerce that what he has seen during negotiations between state and national leaders with US Airways administrators has made it clear the airline no longer sees the Findlay Township airport as a mainline hub. However, Murphy said leaders are pushing for US Airways to at least maintain the airport as the regional jet hub for the Mid-Atlantic region. He said the airline would keep some mainline flights, including international flights. The proposed deal between US Airways and negotiators is to be presented to the public on July 18, Murphy said.

Summer of Turbulence for Airlines, no rebound in the air

According to the July 4 New York Times, the airlines' crucial summer season has arrived, but the industry's vital signs remain feeble. Airline executives acknowledge that travelers have failed to return in large numbers. Gary Kelly, chief financial officer of Southwest Airlines, the world's most profitable carrier, gave a lukewarm appraisal of summer bookings. We've got some heavy travel periods during the summer, which is what we expect, he said. It shouldn't suggest to you that things have dramatically improved. They have not. But they have not gotten worse.

Jim Corridore, an analyst at Standard & Poor's, said that both American and United still have an incredibly long way to go before they become healthy companies — a goal, he said, that requires them to sharply cut capacity and increase efficiency. That could also mean having to give up market share. Their road to profitability would be easier, Mr. Corridore said, if they said they did not have to stay No. 1 or 2 in the industry, the New York Times reported.

US Airways evaluating B737 replacement, airline expected to change EMB-170s to larger 175 model

Flight International reported last week that US Airways is looking at the stretched Embraer 190/195 regional jet to plug the seat capacity gap between its planned new MidAtlantic Airlines-operated fleet of smaller 170/175s and the bottom end of the mainline Airbus A320 fleet created by the retirement of its 100-seat Fokker 100s. The 190/195 is attractive to us and we’re contemplating an order, says David Siegel, US Airways president. An alternative, depending on market conditions, would be additional Airbus A319s or smaller A318s. A nearer-term airline board decision scheduled for the third quarter will be converting some of the current 85 170s on order to slightly larger 75-seat 175s. The expectation is that the 175 will make up around half of the order.

Mayday for United Airlines’ employee pensions?

The Rocky Mountain News reported on July 5 that United Airlines pension plans were underfunded by $6.3 billion at the end of 2002, the largest deficit in the beleaguered U.S. airline industry. Executives must draft a reorganization strategy that will generate enough cash flow to meet future obligations. If they can't find a recipe that works and that also attracts bankruptcy-exit financing, United might seek to terminate some of its pension trusts, analysts said. It's very much a possibility that United will follow in US Airways' path, said Ray Neidl, an analyst at Blaylock & Partners in New York. The pension deficit could be one of the obstacles to getting out of bankruptcy. The fate of United's pension plans will depend on two things: how revenues perform and what their (bankruptcy-exit) financiers are willing to do as far as pledging money to cover the pension underfunding, said Bob Mann, an industry consultant in Port Washington, N.Y. In general, people funding reorganization plans don't like to pay old bills.

Scottie Clark, a spokeswoman for United's pilots union, the Air Line Pilots Association warned terminating the pilot pension would cause a meltdown on this property.

United Airlines Update

As many of you know, I have recently commented on United Airlines in-court restructuring and its effect on US Airways. Specifically, I have written at length on the www.usaviation.com forum and the US Airways message board. I believe you will find the threads listed below interesting.

Is there discontent at US business partner UA?

Complete Story: http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/view.asp...92-B0DCFBAA0455}

Is US' business partner UA stuck in a quagmire of mud?

Complete Story: http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/view.asp...2-B0DCFBAA0455}

US business parter UA plans to return to basics, Business blueprint presented to creditors

Complete Story: http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/view.asp...2-B0DCFBAA0455}

Meanwhile, it’s come to my attention UA chief executive officer Glenn Tilton is now echoing many of my thoughts on complexity and press to test issues I described in the threads listed above. For more information on Tilton’s comments interested parties can call UA’s code-a-phone at 800-393-6682 (800-EYE-ON-UA), then select prompt two. For those nay sayers my question is…how can this be?

Airlines' hopes riding on holiday weekend, Summer travel has been weak

On July 5 Knight Ridder News Service reported a much-anticipated rebound in air travel during the summer season has largely failed to materialize, making this July Fourth weekend even more crucial to the troubled airline industry's hopes for a turnaround.

Best regards,

Chip

Chip why do you take such enjoyment on hoping that UAL goes out of business?

This is a US Airways board, post your gloom and doom on UAL on their board.

I am finally fed up and have to agree with numerous posters that you get some kind of pleasure forcasting UAL''s demise.

I was doing my Chip imitation.

Actually, I have no desire to listen to Tilton's spin, I don't trust nor believe CEOs.

Lav,

No you don't, maybe you should start thinking strategic and evaluate the whole picture. Expect more on this later... By the way, how come you ducked my question? I was just wondering if you were going to answer my question to you...

Best regards,

Chip

Lav,

With all due respect, you do not get it.

However, like I said above, it’s come to my attention UA chief executive officer Glenn Tilton is now echoing many of my thoughts. For more information on Tilton’s comments interested parties can call UA’s code-a-phone at 800-393-6682 (800-EYE-ON-UA), then select prompt two. Lav, my question specifically to you is…how can this be?
Best regards,

Chip

LavMan,
With all due respect..Chip does have a valid point about keeping us abreast on "Our" business partner UA. $200 Million a year in business , does peak my interest anyway. That''s what Chip is usually trying to convey for the most part.

I may not always agree with his methods...and may not always agree with his conclusions. I do however agree with his exercising of his rights on "Freedom of Speach"

Sure , We as an airline do not have "All of our Ducks in a Row" either...and UA and the Star Alliance should be equally concerned about our shinanigans sorta speak.

The thing here is about information...and Chip does provide it..tainted or slanted to suit a percieved agenda or not? That''s for the individual to sort out. Right???

Lets not delve into terms of "Micro-Moderation" here.....after all , nobody bashes in your skull for spouting off about the IAM''s feable party line , Now do they?

Live and let live my "Union Brother"...the UA folks are capable of defending themselves or taking issue with Chip , should they be so inclined?..Which many seem to be at times...It''s thier fight with Captain Munn. We have our pown internal issues to wade through. Your posts about "Utilities Woes" make that abundantly clear.

BTW...This is an area where I completely agree with you. I have witnessed all too often what the lack of utility is doing in the field...and especially to heavy maintenance.

Immasclating this airline from within is not going to cure the problems we face. The actions taken have served the same purpose as putting a Band-Aid on a sucking chest wound.

----------------
On 7/5/2003 8:14:17 PM Chip Munn wrote:

Lav,

With all due respect, you do not get it.

However, like I said above, it’s come to my attention UA chief executive officer Glenn Tilton is now echoing many of the thoughts. For more information on Tilton’s comments interested parties can call UA’s code-a-phone at 800-393-6682 (800-EYE-ON-UA), then select prompt two. Lav, my question specifically to you is…how can this be?
Best regards,

Chip

----------------​
I listened to it, Chip. He speaks plainly and concise and from what I heard, as per a new IRS rule they are dumping the pension funds just like they did to U''s pilots and he made no apologizes saying it was necessary and that alone will not assure UAL’s future, that there is a lot of hard work ahead to exit BK.

I get it, look at this thread you have FIVE doom and gloom articles about UAL.

Chip your track record of believing CEOs is not impressive, do I need to remind you how you loved Dave, then you hated him and wanted to go on strike because he wanted to take your pension (which he did) and now you are Dave's #1 fan again.

Any CEO can put any spin they want on information, don't be a victim of PT Barnum's famous quote.

AOG, I see the cut base too, we had a 757 come out of base with no security check no lavs and no water done and they gave the flight delayt to us, because this work had to be done.

----------------
On 7/5/2003 8:40:38 PM cavalier wrote:

I listened to it, Chip. He speaks plainly and concise and from what I heard, as per a new IRS rule they are dumping the pension funds just like they did to U''s pilots

----------------​

THERE IS NO MENTION OF TERMINATING ANYONE"S PENSION!!

Tilton talks about the canceling of the ESOP. It is stock that is close to worthless anyway. There is no suprise here.

Chip,

I always appreciate your comments and almost always think they are "right on". Those who feel like you are always critical of UAL choose to discount the messanger, because they can''t refute the message. Your posts are always well sourced.

I might agree with some that the media always wants to write negative stories about the airlines (except the LLCs), but honestly I don''t know what good stories are being supressed.

Unitl the 6 hub-n-spokes get their act together and get their costs in line they will continue to lose money. I am of the opinion that NONE OF THEM will consistently make money until they more dramatically cut costs and change their business model.

Chips is only trying to drum up business for his "anti-UA threads." All of those threads have dropped off the radar because people lost interest and stopped clicking on it. By suppplying direct links he is hoping people will re-visit and resurrect a dead horse.

I assure everyone, there is nothing new there. And I encourage everyone to resist the urge to click on his links.

Glens message basically talks about the termination of the ESOP, not the pension. No real supprise there.

As for pension funding, notice it said at the end of 2002. Since then, there has been a HUGE change involving the multiplier, which drastically reduces the pension liability.

Note the following quote from the Rocky Mountain News:

{"The concessions, which run for six years, include reduced pension benefits, lowering United's future obligations to workers. But United won't give details on how much the savings are worth.

Estimates of future obligations, as well as deficits, take into account factors that are subject to change, such as interest rate levels, regulatory requirements for funding and the performance of investments in the financial markets.

"The company has not come to us (to try to terminate) our pensions."

Clark would not reveal the financial status of the pilots' plan.

"We feel we should be able to stay with the program."

United in 2001 and 2002 used credits from overpayments in earlier years to meet federal requirements for funding its pension plan. It has a remaining balance that it could use this year."}

>>Meanwhile, it’s come to my attention UA chief executive officer Glenn Tilton is now echoing many of my thoughts on complexity and press to test issues I described in the threads listed above

Chip you have all the answers for United, why didn't you apply for the CEO job when it was going begging?

Think of it man, a pension the CEO can't threaten...because you're the CEO!

The retirement,compensation and benefit package will far outstrip whatever you may make at US Airways for the remainder of your career.

Quality of life would be vastly improved, maybe you could even talk to scheduling and do something for that poor UAL F/O and those six day trips that keep him away from little leauge games.

Just think of the information you could glean and post here as the CEO of United.

Think of the cockpit confidentials you could have with busdrvr,767jetz and other UAL pilots on this board.

Interesting Corporate Transaction? Hell, you'd be the trigger man...think of it, you'd get to deliver the ultimate "In your face" to your legion of critics.

You really goofed by not throwing you hat in the ring on this one...

Latest posts