Thoughts On F/a Concessions

StewGuy86

Senior
Sep 1, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I'd be interested in hearing what some of my fellow F/As feel like they're willing to change or give up, if anything, during Concessions, Part III.

As for myself, I think there's plenty of room for more efficiency in the way F/As are scheduled. And I'd rather see cost saving changes there than to have money taken out of my pocket or to give up even more of the flexibility that has always made this job attractive, in spite of numerous concessions and changes over the years.

First and foremost, I think it's time to give up the "me-too" clause in our contract. Yes, it was great in a lot of ways, but it also had a negative side. When the pilots lost something (like duty rigs), we lost it too. While it certainly worked in our favor at times, it worked against us at others. I think the time has come to let it go.

And while there are definitely advantages to being paired with the pilots, I think we could schedule crews much more efficiently if we split off from them. Aren't we the only major airline that still does this? Furthermore, I'm all for allowing the F/As to mix equipment type within a trip, like most other airlines do. I used to be a lot more picky about what type of aircraft I would or wouldn't fly.....but at this point I don't care if I'm on a 737, an A320 and a 757 all in the same day. If it keeps me from having to give up more vacation or sick time or pay AND if it means I don't have to sit around an airport for 3 hours at a time, then I'm all for it.

So stews, what do you think? What are you hearing out there on the jumpseat?

StewGuy86 said:
I'd be interested in hearing what some of my fellow F/As feel like they're willing to change or give up, if anything, during Concessions, Part III.

As for myself, I think there's plenty of room for more efficiency in the way F/As are scheduled. And I'd rather see cost saving changes there than to have money taken out of my pocket or to give up even more of the flexibility that has always made this job attractive, in spite of numerous concessions and changes over the years.

First and foremost, I think it's time to give up the "me-too" clause in our contract. Yes, it was great in a lot of ways, but it also had a negative side. When the pilots lost something (like duty rigs), we lost it too. While it certainly worked in our favor at times, it worked against us at others. I think the time has come to let it go.

And while there are definitely advantages to being paired with the pilots, I think we could schedule crews much more efficiently if we split off from them. Aren't we the only major airline that still does this? Furthermore, I'm all for allowing the F/As to mix equipment type within a trip, like most other airlines do. I used to be a lot more picky about what type of aircraft I would or wouldn't fly.....but at this point I don't care if I'm on a 737, an A320 and a 757 all in the same day. If it keeps me from having to give up more vacation or sick time or pay AND if it means I don't have to sit around an airport for 3 hours at a time, then I'm all for it.

So stews, what do you think? What are you hearing out there on the jumpseat?
[post="171594"][/post]​

Well i like the proposal AFA gave the company! It gives back raises due over the next 5 years, cuts CSD premuims in half, along with some other gvebacks. They asked for a buyout of small change, passes and insurance. I for one believe any significant " buyout" will attract the more senior crowd. That will make rooom to rehire furloughees, and reduce costs. I'd like to see "Flex Flying", like AWA- minimun 40 hours to max of somewhere around 110. Also agree "me too" needs to go. Also be willing to have flat vac pay for 7 days of 4 hours for all f/as and 2 and 1/2 for non 7 days. Yes, they ARE givebacks, but the reality is they DO HAVE TO HAPPEN!
Afa's proposal has some other very good things in it, I.E. profit sharing, better commuting policy ( more relaxed ), personal drops, and penalty for supervisory staff that doesnt respect f/a confidentiality. Man, id LUV to see THEM get a dependability program!! LOLOLOL
This is NOT what i want to do after 24 years. We all have given alot, TOO MUCH actually, but the reality is if you want to stay here and continue to be employeed and have a future....well IT HAS TO HAPPEN!! No two ways about it.!!And btw, think the FLL expansion and possible JFK expansion is TERRIFIC!! Finally somebody in the Crystal Palace WOKE UP!!! Peace and best of luck to all of us!

Please o please...bring down that awful fence between the domestic flying and the Transatlantic division of flying! Its so outdated! And dont tell me that training FAs in the Envoy service will be costly. The Envoy service now is so simple. Its like doing a transcons service. Any FA can pick that up after a couple of trips. Im based in PHW, and i miss going to LAS,SFO,LGA and BOS. bring the fence down!

TransatlanticFlyGuy said:
Please o please...bring down that awful fence between the domestic flying and the Transatlantic division of flying! Its so outdated! And dont tell me that training FAs in the Envoy service will be costly. The Envoy service now is so simple. Its like doing a transcons service. Any FA can pick that up after a couple of trips. Im based in PHW, and i miss going to LAS,SFO,LGA and BOS. bring the fence down!
[post="171828"][/post]​

"Any FA can pick that up after a couple of trips"
so if thats the case why do you make so much? time to hire part-time f/a's then
with no benefits.

TransatlanticFlyGuy said:
[post="171828"][/post]​

Is it only a service training that separates the two groups? Does everyone go through ditching in recurrent training? If not would require additional FAA training.

FA Mikey said:
Is it only a service training that separates the two groups? Does everyone go through ditching in recurrent training? If not would require additional FAA training.
[post="171855"][/post]​

Mikey...

I think you work for AA? My best friends does as well. Unlike AA, all U flight attendants are already fully qualified on EOW aircraft procedures at the time of initial cerification of the aircraft type.

StewGuy86 said:

[post="171594"][/post]​

StewGuy,

Why in heavens name do you want to negotiate in public? This is one of the worst things labor can do to itself. Talk about it amongst yourselves, but to do this publicly is a using poor judgement.

Denver, CO

BostonTerrier said:
Mikey...

I think you work for AA? My best friends does as well. Unlike AA, all U flight attendants are already fully qualified on EOW aircraft procedures at the time of initial cerification of the aircraft type.
[post="171863"][/post]​
Then having a seperation is a giant waste on the part of the company.

ua767fo said:
StewGuy,

Why in heavens name do you want to negotiate in public? This is one of the worst things labor can do to itself. Talk about it amongst yourselves, but to do this publicly is a using poor judgement.

Denver, CO
[post="171871"][/post]​
Good point, enough said. This is just what the co loves to see. Thanks for the sensible advice!

Ill do what it takes to make this company survive. So I like this? NO!!!! The damage is done with me too clause and prob will reach most of the goal with that alone!

I tell you one thing. They can FORGET about giving away the VF program unless they put something comparable in it's place.

usfliboi said:
Ill do what it takes to make this company survive. So I like this? NO!!!! The damage is done with me too clause and prob will reach most of the goal with that alone!
[post="171896"][/post]​

Why just you work for free with no pension, medical benefits, vacation or sick time?

Unlike you 700, Usair has not proposed that. To hear some talk thats what they have done. My head isnt in the sand,I know the alternative for me as well as for your group. I choose to be smart, I can take the the cuts, If i cant ill go else where. and u?

Have you actually read what this guy posts? I mean really read it. With the spelling and grammar errors? The lack of complete sentences? The apparent lack of education?

After reading what he attempts to write I think he is right on in doing what it takes to make this company survive. I highly doubt he would have any luck finding a job out there. Give the guy a break. He obviously does not have the skills to find another place to work.

mr