Ticket booked online in maiden name

Harleylc

Feb 23, 2017
i booked a ticket through Expedia for US domestic travel on UA in error in my maiden name. My valid ID's are in my married name. Expedia will not change the ticket and is advising me to buy new ticket in correct name. Each time I call United, I get a different story ad basically they have noted the record with the new name and I will have my marriage cert with me at the airport at check in. I'm concerned about waiting until the day of travel if this will be sufficient for UA and TSA policies. If anyone has experienced this please advise best options. I'm not traveling until April.

I'd think Expedia should be able to reissue this without any penalty from United. Normally, the agency is expected to service a ticket unless it's something the airline has done, i.e. canceled or changed a flight number.

Here's what you might want to try... go to United.Com and lookup your reservation (they call it "My Trips"). You should have your confirmation number on your receipts from Expedia, or they can give it to you over the phone. Don't recall if UA is six letters or a mix of letters and numbers..

33090479276_bc0cc730aa_b.jpg

If it's showing up on their website in the same name as your ID, then chances are good you have nothing to worry about. TSA will be looking to see that your name matches what's on your boarding pass, and what shows up on the boarding pass *should* be driven from the name on the record, not the ticket.

Last edited:
I had this once with British Airways and tickets booked through Expedia. It was for my wife and i had forgotten that getting her ID through after getting married takes a week at best. I wanted the tickets for honeymoon in the married name.

We were able to take the marriage certificate to the check in desk and they were fine. They said the biggest issue wasn't with them, but the check in staff at our destination, who may not be as accommodating. They were able to leave a message on the system and said everything should be fine.

It was.

Good luck

When I worked at the airport saw many a honnymoon ruined because of passports not matching ticketed name. My advise to brides is do all you ID changes after the honeymoon and book nothing in the new married name until those IDs are changed.