TLV LODOs

Mar 13, 2007
Has anyone heard any news about how many Hebrew LODOs have applied for the TLV flights, and whether the flight's 10th f/a will be staffed by a different LODO or simply be avaiable as a bid position? I am also trying to get some confirmation to a rumor that the TLV route requires 3 A330-200 aircrafts; however, US will only have 2 in July at the commencement of the route. Please help shed some light if you'e in the know. Thanks. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I am also trying to get some confirmation to a rumor that the TLV route requires 3 A330-200 aircrafts; however, US will only have 2 in July at the commencement of the route.
It'll take 2 to run the route, leaving no spare until a 3rd 332 is delivered. At ~700 more miles than PHL-ATH, it's too far to use a 767 or 333 as a replacement without severe weight restrictions or planned fuel stops.

Jim

It'll take 2 to run the route, leaving no spare until a 3rd 332 is delivered. At ~700 more miles than PHL-ATH, it's too far to use a 767 or 333 as a replacement without severe weight restrictions or planned fuel stops.

Jim
Thanks Jim! I guess US will have its hands full with re-accomodations should the mechanical crap hits the fan over this summer. Any news when the 3rd a/c will arive on the property?

An anonymous Tempe source told me that historically, Tempe was comfortable with ~10% technical stops, now upped to around 20%, perhaps for a Tel Aviv likelihood?

Nothing real specific. The last investor guidance had 2 arriving in the 2nd quarter, 1 in the 3rd quarter, and 2 in the 4th quarter.

Jim

The company gave up the language premium in PHL so it is not mandatory to speak another language if you don't get paid for it. As far as the staffing, it goes by bid, by DOH and not by ethnicity. Hope Dougie realizes that. They can hire a manager to fit the profile but not the CSA. All CSA and CSS will bid by seniority.

You must be in the program or there must be an opening calling for LODO's. Usairways does not hire off the street. There is no requirement to speak another language because we are not an international company. As opposed to other carriers (big ones, not regional) they have 2 and 3 LODO's because they understand how to attract foreigners and their money. They understand since they are going to another country they should have foreign speakers not just for customer service but emergency situations.

Are you sure? TWA used 767-300ER between TLV and JFK without weight restrictions or tech stops.
What MTOW did the TWA 767's have. US doesn't have the heaviest MTOW available on the 200ER's - only 351K pounds or so. As I understand it they often have to weight restrict the westbound from ATH to PHL.

Jim

The only 767's US has are 200ER's. As I said, they're the 351K MTOW version and not the later 387K MTOW. US' have a max range of about 5300 nm according to Boeing (more eastbound, less westbound with prevailing winds). Hence the weight restrictions at times westbound.

Don't know which version of the -300ER TWA operated, but the 412K MTOW version has a range of about 6100 nm (again, more eastbound, less westbound with prevailing winds) according to Boeing. That's a bigger difference in range vs US' 200ER's than the difference in distance PHL-ATH vs PHL-TLV. To get to the same range as US' -200ER's, TWA would have had to operate 300ER's with a MTOW of no more than 382K.

US' -200ER's would be right at their still air max range on PHL-TLV. The prevailing winds would make the westbound flight weight limited all the time and moreso than ATH-PHL, while alternate requirements might cause weight restrictions eastbound at times. Plus, Boeing's range figures don't count any cargo weight - just passengers and baggage.

Jim

Latest posts