***TO ALL TWU MEMBERS****

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
Having read the latest company proposal in its entirety, I would like to encourage ALL mechanics to read it, and read the WHOLE proposal, not just the highlights. Regardless of where you work, base or line, read it! There is something in there for everyone and it is not good. This is a contract written by the company, for the company.
Do you realize that at the end of it we will be at the bottom of the industry?
Does that not bother you?
We are still at the bottom with respect to sick time and holiday pay and double time pay..

To my brothers and sisters at the TULE base, is this acceptable to you folks?
To those line stations where the cost of living is higher than the national average, is this acceptable to you folks?

I do not advocate the base taking a hit for the line stations or the line stations taking a hit for the base.

We should all be fighting for the restoration of our benefits and pay.

Do not let this union play the fear factor again. The last time they did so, well, we are still paying the price.

They want to use the pension and overhaul operation as a tool to keep us all down...
Well, guess what? They want the pension anyway....They want the retiree medical anyway!
They want it all and to reward us, they offer us this toilet paper alternative!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all my union brothers and sisters, I ask you this: AT WHAT POINT DO WE SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH?

The company is a bunch of greedy arrogant corporate elitists. And our union leadership is no different. The TWU leadership did not share the pain either.

Time to stand like men and women!

Having read the latest company proposal in its entirety, I would like to encourage ALL mechanics to read it, and read the WHOLE proposal, not just the highlights. Regardless of where you work, base or line, read it! There is something in there for everyone and it is not good. This is a contract written by the company, for the company.
Do you realize that at the end of it we will be at the bottom of the industry?
Does that not bother you?
We are still at the bottom with respect to sick time and holiday pay and double time pay..

To my brothers and sisters at the TULE base, is this acceptable to you folks?
To those line stations where the cost of living is higher than the national average, is this acceptable to you folks?

I do not advocate the base taking a hit for the line stations or the line stations taking a hit for the base.

We should all be fighting for the restoration of our benefits and pay.

Do not let this union play the fear factor again. The last time they did so, well, we are still paying the price.

They want to use the pension and overhaul operation as a tool to keep us all down...
Well, guess what? They want the pension anyway....They want the retiree medical anyway!
They want it all and to reward us, they offer us this toilet paper alternative!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all my union brothers and sisters, I ask you this: AT WHAT POINT DO WE SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH?

The company is a bunch of greedy arrogant corporate elitists. And our union leadership is no different. The TWU leadership did not share the pain either.

Time to stand like men and women!

I am with you all the way up to the point you try to divide up the bashing. AA deserves every bit of the heat on this. They are the ones that have all of their work groups hanging out with no contract. For TWU, APA and APFA members the only organization that they should be pissed at over these contracts is AA.

You know, if one of the groups were hanging out there on their own I would find it much easier to divide the blame. But not when all three groups are in the same boat.

I am with you all the way up to the point you try to divide up the bashing. AA deserves every bit of the heat on this. They are the ones that have all of their work groups hanging out with no contract. For TWU, APA and APFA members the only organization that they should be pissed at over these contracts is AA.

You know, if one of the groups were hanging out there on their own I would find it much easier to divide the blame. But not when all three groups are in the same boat.
I agree,Time to take a stand! enough already

skipfly, the problem is you have lapdogs like Videtich and Gless, let alone Little, telling the negotiating committee not to ask for anything that might harm their meal ticket AA.

Do you know after this toilet paper alternative was rejected by the committe, they voted overwhelmingly to ask the mediator to be released? After a pep talk by the International, it amazingly flip-flopped the other way AGAINST requesting a release.

Does not everyone see what is going on here??

THE TWU IS A COMPANY UNION!!!!

WHAT MORE PROOF DOES EVERYONE NEED?

skipfly, the problem is you have lapdogs like Videtich and Gless, let alone Little, telling the negotiating comittee not to ask for anything that might harm their meal ticket AA.

Do you know after this toilet paper alternative was rejected by the committe, they voted overwhelmingly to ask the mediator to be released? After a pep talk by the International, it amazingly flip-flopped the other way AGAINST requesting a release.

Does not everyone see what is going on here??

THE TWU IS A COMPANY UNION!!!!

WHAT MORE PROOF DOES EVERYONE NEED?

Typical negotiations consist of a company lowballing their offer and the unions highballing their offer. Somewhere in between, they meet. The give and take process is usually the acceptable method of collective bargaining.
But in the case of AA, it is all take and no give. What makes it worse is that the union is playing badminton instead of baseball.

Did this union not think that once AA took away over 50 years of collective bargaining that they would give everything back? Not even get a "snap-back clause" in the concessionary contract?

Even the villified Carty negotatiated a good deal back in 2001. And had not 9/11 occurred, no one would have cared any the less that he and the top execs got their SERPS..
Back in 2001, we were not at the top of industry, but closer. And now after almost 7 years, the company insults us with this offer that even the negotiating committee rejected.
They want a 4 year deal with no raise and increase in anything substantial which will take us to 2014 and by that time we will be dead last in industry wages.

I can not see this being acceptable to anyone no matter where they are based.

Has everyones cost of living increased?
Property taxes?
School taxes?
heating?
electric?
tuition?
etc, etc, etc?

Oh,, but we still have a pension.......oh ok,. But guess what, maybe you haven't realized it, but when we were force fed paycuts and concessions, YOUR PENSION WENT DOWN AS WELL......

We have a unique problem here at AA....The relationship between the TWU and AA.....
One would expect a company to get the best deal for themselves, but one should not expect his/her union to go along with the company.

I suggest each and everyone of us continue to demand a visit directly from Videtich and Gless...And ask them why they are so afraid of putting pressure on this company!
Ask them if they took paycuts and benefit reductions like you did!

Ladies and Gentlemen, how much more can you take?

Typical negotiations consist of a company lowballing their offer and the unions highballing their offer. Somewhere in between, they meet. The give and take process is usually the acceptable method of collective bargaining.
But in the case of AA, it is all take and no give. What makes it worse is that the union is playing badminton instead of baseball.

Did this union not think that once AA took away over 50 years of collective bargaining that they would give everything back? Not even get a "snap-back clause" in the concessionary contract?

Even the villified Carty negotatiated a good deal back in 2001. And had not 9/11 occurred, no one would have cared any the less that he and the top execs got their SERPS..
Back in 2001, we were not at the top of industry, but closer. And now after almost 7 years, the company insults us with this offer that even the negotiating committee rejected.
They want a 4 year deal with no raise and increase in anything substantial which will take us to 2014 and by that time we will be dead last in industry wages.

I can not see this being acceptable to anyone no matter where they are based.

Has everyones cost of living increased?
Property taxes?
School taxes?
heating?
electric?
tuition?
etc, etc, etc?

Oh,, but we still have a pension.......oh ok,. But guess what, maybe you haven't realized it, but when we were force fed paycuts and concessions, YOUR PENSION WENT DOWN AS WELL......

We have a unique problem here at AA....The relationship between the TWU and AA.....
One would expect a company to get the best deal for themselves, but one should not expect his/her union to go along with the company.

I suggest each and everyone of us continue to demand a visit directly from Videtich and Gless...And ask them why they are so afraid of putting pressure on this company!
Ask them if they took paycuts and benefit reductions like you did!

Ladies and Gentlemen, how much more can you take?

I didnt hear anything about asking to be released, it didnt come up in my presence.

The company is actually looking for a six year deal, 4 years from DOS plus the two years that they've dragged things out. So that would be six years with no pay increase, or a real paycut of approximately 18% due to inflation.

First they needed 25% now its another 18%, plus bottom of the industry in pay, a couple of lump sums, but only if we agree to make them "Best in Class". Pull together Win together! Shared Sacrifice Shared Gain! "Do the right thing!" "Working Together" JLT, PLI, when will we stop believing all their lies?

If Massachusetts can manage to elect a Republican, surely you guys could replace the TWU.... ;)

If Massachusetts can manage to elect a Republican, surely you guys could replace the TWU.... ;)
Although most of the elected officials in the state are dems., we have pretty consistantly elected a rep. gov. He is also a rep. Who got us universal coverage in Ma. Signed by Romney. New England reps. May not b what you are hoping for. :)

I didnt hear anything about asking to be released, it didnt come up in my presence.

The company is actually looking for a six year deal, 4 years from DOS plus the two years that they've dragged things out. So that would be six years with no pay increase, or a real paycut of approximately 18% due to inflation.

First they needed 25% now its another 18%, plus bottom of the industry in pay, a couple of lump sums, but only if we agree to make them "Best in Class". Pull together Win together! Shared Sacrifice Shared Gain! "Do the right thing!" "Working Together" JLT, PLI, when will we stop believing all their lies?

Bob I think "WE" stopped believing the lies long ago. It is the TWU Leadership and their minions that are still drinking the Kool-Aid. Sad state of a labor union that leads in such a contrasting direction of the membership desires which does nothing more than weaken further the most docile union in the industry. Leading while refusing to poll or ballot the membership will result in erosion or complete elimination of what little unionism there is left in this organization.

You go tell the Federal Governement to give this membership the ballot like those in Massachusetts were allowed and this union will be removed and replaced by a much greater margin that Mr Brown just won. Guaranteed !

You go tell the Federal Governement to give this membership the ballot like those in Massachusetts were allowed and this union will be removed and replaced by a much greater margin that Mr Brown just won. Guaranteed !
Great point!!

A 562 E Board member mentioned it to us the other night.

That may or may not have happened with the sub-committee but it wasnt brought up with the full committee, as you know I wasn't there.

I have mixed feelings on being released. Looking at the broader economy and other factors I have concerns about being the first to be released and free to go to self help. And it has little to do with the current recession thats being caused by the restriction of capital.

Here's how I see it. The workforce is aging. Birthrates do not support an expanding population and havent for some time. As more and more people retire and leave the workforce (600,000 just in December) labor should become scarce and expensive by the end of this decade, so Capital is determined to drive labor costs down as far as they possibly can before market rates drive them up.

Whenever Labor suffers a defeat in a strike it has a lasting impact, thats why its worthwhile for Capital to lose money in the short term in order to beat labor, like at NWA.

My concern is that we have never been a strong union, we have given industry leading concessions since 1983 and we havent struck since 1969. We are hardly battle tested. We didnt see the company go bankrupt yet we are among the lowest paid in the industry, lower than some non-union carriers. When the company came back with concessionary proposals there was no impact on operations, compare this to whats been going on over at EWR where CAL reportedly average 20 planes out of service a day since they presented their economic propsal to the union (one that was richer than our June supposal). Last Spring our ATD declared 'The gloves are off", well I guess thats so we could more easily hold a pen to sign off on concessionary LOAs such as the DFW overhaul base, the $12500 for MCI and STL "ONLY" Rifs, electronic Crew Chief bidding in TitleIII, the M&R June supposal or the more recent American Eagle 'NO RAISE" TA. Despite stalled negotiations its "business as usual" between the TWU ATD and AMR, Working Together and other union busting programs are still endorsed by the ATD. Negotiations started over two years ago but there hasnt been any media campaign against the companys stall tactics at the table, just demonstrations against bonuses and trips to DC where we basically say AA is doing the right thing.(The IBT, IAM and AMFA should be the ones campaigning against outsourcing since they are the ones whose employers send out most of their work.)

Right now there are several open contracts out there. UPS, UAL and CAL are all open and are all IBT. UPS and CAL already make more than we do, the UAL wage rates were "negotiated" by the IAM, or more accurately by the bankrupcty court.

The Teamsters held the last truly successful strike in this country, but there's still an intense rivalry between the old Carey supporters and the Hoffa team. To date Hoffa hasn't had any significant victories to compare to Careys stunning victory at UPS, in fact he's had some embarrassing defeats such as at Overnight Trucking. After getting the mechanics at SWA an industry leading contract they defected to AMFA, another black eye for Hoffa, then the flight attendants at NWA left. Hoffa was able to oust AMFA at UAL by making huge promises but the workers there have little to show for the change in representation other than a higher dues rate, and they have made changing unions a regular occurance. IAM-AMFA-IBT all within a decade. If the IBT doesnt deliver something other than excuses the UAL guys will oust them as well.

The IBT will be looking to bring all thier members up to industry leading so they could better their odds at getting FED-EX and Delta, winning representation at those two bastions of anti-unionism would be a huge victory for Hoffa, and in order to do so he has to prove to those mechanics that going IBT would get them superior wages and working conditions.

I think we will see a lot more action over at the IBT camps this year. You have to remember that the IBT is ten times the size of the TWU, they have a lot more resources, their chances of a victory are much better given their track record, their structure,their culture and their internal politics. Just as we let AMFA at NWA set the industry standard back in 2001 we would probably be better served by doing the same, except with the IBT, this time around. (Hey I know this sounds weak, letting everyone else set the standards but at least we can claim we set the standards for the biggest concessions outside of bankruptcy. :huh: ) The recent TA at Eagle that includes no pay raises only further enforces this belief.