To deny passengers boarding

Denying passengers boarding is in the DRS under policy and producers (PPD) look it up. This day and age we are seeing a lot of people pushing the envelope.Denying passengers boarding for Security reason when they are not on the no fly list is no were to be found it is purely a judgment call

Nothing unusual for US supes to override an agent - US teaches teamwork so well!

A few of those stunts, and you dump it in Mr./Ms high-n-mighty's lap quick. Who's getting paid enough for the drama?
Good point

Nothing unusual for US supes to override an agent - US teaches teamwork so well!

My (former) agents, probably some of the most dedicated in the Express system, would also look things up in FOCUS and if they couldn't figure it out or find it, they would come get myself or the other supervisor.

I did what I could to make the customer happy as well as make the company happy, without making my employee look like a moron.

Now have I gone against what an agent told a customer, yes, and do I like it, no... but we have also had a lot of new hires in our station & luckily the agents weren't too embarrased.

And its these weird situations where my experience (almost 10 years) and knowledge pay off, which was why Piedmont pays supervisors more.

And its these weird situations where my experience (almost 10 years) and knowledge pay off, which was why Piedmont pays supervisors more.
And majority of the time the most juror agents are the supervisors at least at main line

anywhere, while the ADA had guidelines about service animals, and I couldn't find in Focus anywhere that required a note from a doctor (my thinking was we needed a letter from a doctor or psychiatrist stating the turtle was, in fact, a service animal).
Carriers shall accept as evidence that an animal is a service animal identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses or markings on harnesses, tags, or the credible verbal assurances of the qualified individual with a disability using the animal.

Airlines are not subject to the ADA; however, they are
subject to the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986, which prohibits
discriminatory treatment of people with disabilities when
travelling by air. The Air Carrier Access Act is enforced by the
U.S. Department of Transportation.
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/382SHORT.htm
If you refused conveyance would upper management back you up?
I think you made the right call

It wasn't an easy one because of the knowledge she had inquired earlier in the week about bringing it on board as a Pet In Cabin or checking it...

that is the most difficult balance in our business -- handing passengers that you KNOW are trying to get around your rules....

you realize how many times I've had to tell US1/2/3's "as one of our elite frequent flyers, you know the rules..." when they throw the "Do you know how often I fly YOUR airline" at me...

I do think management would have backed me up had I denied her boarding.. I'm just wondering how ILM handled her on the return.

They probably spoke to the Philipines, 'Sure, your cow? A service animal? That's just fine. Just ask the agent at the ticket counter. Tank you for flying usairways.'

one time in Key West I had a customer come up to the counter with a TURTLE with a USAir bag tag on its "paw" that said "Service Animal".

She said she will NOT fly without it... I would have DB'd her, but needed to find a good reason.

I looked in every manual to see if we could allow it, FOCUS, etc... eventually had to call the regional director and he was baffled by it.

We eventually spoke to the captain about it and he said he will allow it -- the problem is USAirways policy was NO reptiles allowed on the aircraft, anywhere, while the ADA had guidelines about service animals, and I couldn't find in Focus anywhere that required a note from a doctor (my thinking was we needed a letter from a doctor or psychiatrist stating the turtle was, in fact, a service animal).

Only reason this was wierd - a few days earlier one of my agents got a phone call asking if they can check a turtle as checked luggage to ILM.
funny. Just goes to show almost anything (even funny) can happen and you can always assume that passengers will push and test those limits.