Today's Alpa Mec Meeting Update

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Today the MEC continued its special meeting that for a lack of a better phrase had three items: Advisor updates, members in good standing addressing the MEC and a Negotiating Committee (NC) update.

The Advisors again gave their opinion that if ALPA and the Company do not obtain a new labor accord US Airways will liquidate. Interestingly, every ALPA advisor told the MEC that RSA would likely make out better and recover nearly all of their investment if US Airways liquidates.

Then pilots in good standing addressed the MEC. There were about 20 pilots in the room and 5 were in support of the RC4 and 15 were against the RC4. The overwhelming majority of the pilots in the room in no uncertain terms that they do not like the roll call and they demand a vote on a Tentative Agreement (TA) or last company proposal. I recognize this is a small sampling of the pilot group, but 75% of those in attendance were against the RC4, which is about the same percentage of pilot’s who voted for LOA 79 through 91, Restructuring 1, and Restructuring 2.

Then the NC reviewed ALPA’s latest proposal that is published on the ALPA website in the pilot’s only section.

At about 8:30 p.m. management contacted NC chairman Dog Mowrey and said management had prepared their counter proposal and wanted the meet with the NC. Management arrived at the Key Bridge Marriott at about 9:30 p.m. and the parties immediately began the next round of negotiations.

We'll negotiate around the clock if necessary," company spokesman David Castelveter told the AP Tuesday.

See Story

It has come to my attention that tonight there could be a TA or the Company will issue their last, best offer tonight and the RC4 could “roll call†that the TA or Company Proposal not be sent out to the pilot group. Therefore, I strongly encourage all pilots do what is necessary to attend tomorrow’s MEC meeting. To get to the meeting fly to DCA and then take the Metro Blue Line north to the Rosslyn station. Then walk one block north to the Key Bridge Marriott. The cost is $1.35 off peak and $1.50 peak one-way.

Here’s tonight’s code-a-phone message.

MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE #2 - August 31, 2004

This is Jack Stephan with a second US Airways MEC update for Tuesday, August 31st, with one new item.

The MEC reconvened at 2:30 this afternoon at the Key Bridge Marriott in Arlington, VA. Several pilots were in attendance at the meeting and a motion was proffered to allow those present to address the MEC.

This discussion and Q&A session lasted approximately five hours, during which time our advisors updated the group on the ramifications of not striking a deal during these Transformation Plan Negotiations. The Negotiating Committee also gave a report in open session on the current state of negotiations.

Of special interest to many of the pilots in attendance was the use of the roll call vote and whether or not they would be given the chance to vote on whatever was brought back to the MEC from the Negotiating Committee. Some MEC members indicated during the open discussion that they may elect to utilize the roll call vote to block any tentative agreement or proposal from reaching the membership for a ratification vote.

MEC Chairman Bill Pollock reiterated his commitment to all pilots that he would do everything in his power to convince the MEC that the pilots deserve the right to cast a vote that would determine their careers at US Airways and ensure that this process produce a fair agreement for all pilots.

The Negotiating Committee plans to meet with the Company this evening to receive a counterproposal to their August 30 proposal. When available, that counterproposal will be posted on the pilots only home page under “Negotiating Committee Information.â€

The MEC recessed at 8:22pm to the call of the MEC Chairman. For planning purposes, it is anticipated that Chairman Pollock will call the MEC back into session at approximately 12:00 noon tomorrow to receive a report from our Negotiating Committee.

Eventually, the MEC will be presented a proposal that will require action on their part. Future MEC deliberations could very well determine whether or not you get to vote on what the Negotiating Committee brings back to the MEC. All pilots are urged to attend these meetings at the Key Bridge Marriott or at the very least contact your Reps immediately and let them know your feelings on your participation in this process.

Please note that this hotel does not provide transportation from the airport and that portions of the reconvened meeting may be in closed session.

As always, please refer to the code a phone and the pilots only website for the latest information on Transformation Plan Negotiations.

And please remember we have 1,879 pilots on furlough.

Thank you for listening.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
It has come to my attention that tonight there could be a TA or the Company will issue their last, best offer tonight and the RC4 could “roll callâ€￾ that the TA or Company Proposal not be sent out to the pilot group. Therefore, I strongly encourage all pilots do what is necessary to attend tomorrow’s MEC meeting. To get to the meeting fly to DCA and then take the Metro Blue Line north to the Rosslyn station...

[post="174670"][/post]​

Why did you support the MEC denial of membershp ratification when they terminated the Pension of retirees? But in this case you oppose the MEC taking care of bidness.

Oh wait. Forgive me. I just answered my own question. In both of these situations your goal has been to save your job by throwing others under the bus. Never mind.

Just a reminder.......The RC4 represent the MAJORITY of pilots at UAIR and its a majority by a large margin. They are doing the right thing by protecting careers. They are the voice of the pilots unlike the spin that 320 puts on it.

-fatburger-

You got that right fatty. A point some gloss over and others are loathe to admit.

And also remember the original last, best offer came from the company about a week ago. There have been 2 since then. All better than the first. The minority of the MEC wanted to send the original out for a vote.

Those are facts, not opinions. Sparky has zero credibility. As does the MEC chairman after his panicked messages and hand wringing. It is a sight to behold. He will be going the way of the former PIT Captain rep after these proceedings are over. That I can promise you.

Having said that, you can count on something coming to the pilots for a vote in the very near future. Something considerably better than the first last best offer. Don't you just love these last best offers. I wonder how many are available?

mr

US A320 wrote: Today the MEC continued its special meeting that for a lack of a better phrase had three items: Advisor updates, members in good standing addressing the MEC and a Negotiating Committee (NC) update.

For those lurkers who are not affiliated with a union, the above underlined phrase means......their dues are up to date! It does not mean that the group who addressed the MEC are advisors, more knowledgeable or speaking on behalf of the pilots at large. They were merely representing themselves.

You know...I am quite frustrated with the company trying to placate the public through the media that ''We will not liquidate...maybe file chapter 11...but not liquidate'' and then they turn around and scare the pilots with ''If you don't accept this we will liquidate''. Now we all know liquidation is not in the plans.

"And please remember we have 1,879 pilots on furlough"

No..wait 1,882..1,883...1,884!

networking said:
You know...I am quite frustrated with the company trying to placate the public through the media that ''We will not liquidate...maybe file chapter 11...but not liquidate'' and then they turn around and scare the pilots with ''If you don't accept this we will liquidate''. Now we all know liquidation is not in the plans.
[post="174727"][/post]​

I am personally so sick of this d*&^ management and their scare tactics that I think the union should just tell them to go ahead and liquidate.

There is nothing that had been proposed by either side since July that would get me to vote yes anyway.

USA320Pilot said:
Today the MEC continued its special meeting that for a lack of a better phrase had three items: Advisor updates, members in good standing addressing the MEC and a Negotiating Committee (NC) update.

The Advisors again gave their opinion that if ALPA and the Company do not obtain a new labor accord US Airways will liquidate. Interestingly, every ALPA advisor told the MEC that RSA would likely make out better and recover nearly all of their investment if US Airways liquidates.

Then pilots in good standing addressed the MEC. There were about 20 pilots in the room and 5 were in support of the RC4 and 15 were against the RC4. The overwhelming majority of the pilots in the room in no uncertain terms that they do not like the roll call and they demand a vote on a Tentative Agreement (TA) or last company proposal. I recognize this is a small sampling of the pilot group, but 75% of those in attendance were against the RC4, which is about the same percentage of pilot’s who voted for LOA 79 through 91, Restructuring 1, and Restructuring 2.

Then the NC reviewed ALPA’s latest proposal that is published on the ALPA website in the pilot’s only section.

At about 8:30 p.m. management contacted NC chairman Dog Mowrey and said management had prepared their counter proposal and wanted the meet with the NC. Management arrived at the Key Bridge Marriott at about 9:30 p.m. and the parties immediately began the next round of negotiations.

We'll negotiate around the clock if necessary," company spokesman David Castelveter told the AP Tuesday.

See Story

It has come to my attention that tonight there could be a TA or the Company will issue their last, best offer tonight and the RC4 could “roll call†that the TA or Company Proposal not be sent out to the pilot group. Therefore, I strongly encourage all pilots do what is necessary to attend tomorrow’s MEC meeting. To get to the meeting fly to DCA and then take the Metro Blue Line north to the Rosslyn station. Then walk one block north to the Key Bridge Marriott. The cost is $1.35 off peak and $1.50 peak one-way.

Here’s tonight’s code-a-phone message.

MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE #2 - August 31, 2004

This is Jack Stephan with a second US Airways MEC update for Tuesday, August 31st, with one new item.

The MEC reconvened at 2:30 this afternoon at the Key Bridge Marriott in Arlington, VA. Several pilots were in attendance at the meeting and a motion was proffered to allow those present to address the MEC.

This discussion and Q&A session lasted approximately five hours, during which time our advisors updated the group on the ramifications of not striking a deal during these Transformation Plan Negotiations. The Negotiating Committee also gave a report in open session on the current state of negotiations.

Of special interest to many of the pilots in attendance was the use of the roll call vote and whether or not they would be given the chance to vote on whatever was brought back to the MEC from the Negotiating Committee. Some MEC members indicated during the open discussion that they may elect to utilize the roll call vote to block any tentative agreement or proposal from reaching the membership for a ratification vote.

MEC Chairman Bill Pollock reiterated his commitment to all pilots that he would do everything in his power to convince the MEC that the pilots deserve the right to cast a vote that would determine their careers at US Airways and ensure that this process produce a fair agreement for all pilots.

The Negotiating Committee plans to meet with the Company this evening to receive a counterproposal to their August 30 proposal. When available, that counterproposal will be posted on the pilots only home page under “Negotiating Committee Information.â€

The MEC recessed at 8:22pm to the call of the MEC Chairman. For planning purposes, it is anticipated that Chairman Pollock will call the MEC back into session at approximately 12:00 noon tomorrow to receive a report from our Negotiating Committee.

Eventually, the MEC will be presented a proposal that will require action on their part. Future MEC deliberations could very well determine whether or not you get to vote on what the Negotiating Committee brings back to the MEC. All pilots are urged to attend these meetings at the Key Bridge Marriott or at the very least contact your Reps immediately and let them know your feelings on your participation in this process.

Please note that this hotel does not provide transportation from the airport and that portions of the reconvened meeting may be in closed session.

As always, please refer to the code a phone and the pilots only website for the latest information on Transformation Plan Negotiations.

And please remember we have 1,879 pilots on furlough.

Thank you for listening.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="174670"][/post]​

again rsa cannot get their money back until the govt gets theirs back followed by ge bombadier, embraer, and the creditors before rsa can touch anything

mwereplanes said:
You got that right fatty. A point some gloss over and others are loathe to admit.

And also remember the original last, best offer came from the company about a week ago. There have been 2 since then. All better than the first. The minority of the MEC wanted to send the original out for a vote.

Those are facts, not opinions. Sparky has zero credibility. As does the MEC chairman after his panicked messages and hand wringing. It is a sight to behold. He will be going the way of the former PIT Captain rep after these proceedings are over. That I can promise you.

Having said that, you can count on something coming to the pilots for a vote in the very near future. Something considerably better than the first last best offer. Don't you just love these last best offers. I wonder how many are available?

mr
[post="174721"][/post]​

After seeing the company's last insulting proposal I would encourage the MEC/NC to simply disengage from the process again. If the company was really serious about settling this issue they would not have responded with such a Dranconian response to what was and EXTREMELY generous concessionary proposal.

I don't either of the 2 latest company proposals can be considered by the membership in any way, shape, or form.

At least the other labor groups know what to expect and must prepare accordingly.

At this point it is clear the company is just not being reasonable. I had hoped they would negotiate fairly but, I don't think they know how. At this point ALPA and AFA should step away from the table and let the chips all where they may. Just sickening. :angry:

i have to agree. why not let a bankrupt judge see for him self what kind of inept mgmt team not wanting to talk in good faith and see what kind of deal he may have? also why dont all of our union do a united airline type of thing and vote a no confidence in this airline's mgmt team?