Today's Reality

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Today US Airways and its employees are facing difficult choices and it appears ALPA is now poised to join the Dispatchers and FCTI’s in obtaining new CBA’s.

What everybody needs to recognize is that the world has changed. Revenue is depressed due to LCC expansion and Internet booking. Costs are on the rise with excessive government taxation, dramatic increases in security costs, and skyrocketing fuel prices with oil now at about $50 a barrel.

It appears that many employees are looking for somebody else to blame since the LCC’s with it's younger/junior work force without seniority pay increases, lower wage rates, maintenance holidays, and superior pricing power incrementally took away US Airway’s ticket premiums and high yield customers.

However, let's give credit where credit is due because management is continuing to transform the airline, day by day. The airline has changed the way it operates, increased its ASMs, shifted hub flying, implemented meaningful fuel conservation programs, advertises more, has added RJ feed to grow mainline flying, executed a Caribbean and European growth strategy, joined the Star alliance, joined forces with United with code sharing, created the GoCaribbean network, the airline is about to launch a new website, the company consolidated flight crew training, provided improved IT systems with Kiosks and boarding pass readers, implemented GoFares responding to customer demands, and dramatically thinned out management ranks, etc., with no credit to the management group by many disgruntled employees.

Everyone wants immediate change to occur, until it affects them and then they do not want the change.

Now with the airline back in bankruptcy, largely due to the union’s unwillingness to voluntarily participate in the new business plan, the company is being forced by the creditors to change and change rapidly or the carrier will go out of business as soon as this winter.

Unfortunately, there is no magic pill here, but hard work for those that want this airline to be successful in today’s rapidly changing environment. For those living in the past that remain in denial, I believe you must realize that there is no other way and either we need to get onboard with the Transformation Plan, or elect to leave the company. Nobody is holding a gun to anybody’s head demanding a person work at US Airways and the contract changes have nothing to do with breaking the will of anyone. The company is simply doing what is necessary to “survive†in today’s challenging marketplace by matching employee contracts to the new competition, the LCCs.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Are you going to need someone to clean your pool this summer? Im going to need another job to so I can make rent when I get paid $9.05 an hour.

Basher:

Nobody is forcing you to remain at the company and the market is dictating what you, every other employee, and I earn. US Airways cannot provide employee entitlement and if the cuts are too severe, then I suggest you find alternative employment.

Do I like our reality? No, of course not, but the market is driving change, which will occur either by consensual agreements or imposition.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Today US Airways and its employees are facing difficult choices and it appears Now with the airline back in bankruptcy, largely due to the union’s unwillingness to voluntarily participate in the new business plan, the company is being forced by the creditors to change and change rapidly or the carrier will go out of business as soon as this winter.

Let me tell you a little story. A couple of weeks ago I went to a Toby Keith concert at the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ. I met some friends there. I got there late and had to park in a bad part of town with quite a walk to the Tweeter Center. After the concert, I walked back to my car. Just as I opened my car door. I was approached by a scumbag who demanded all of my money. I will leave out the details of the confrontation. I had $210 on me not including ATM/credit cards. He did not appear to have any weapons, so I took a chance and literally stuck my ignition key through his left cheek! Through and through...blood spurting everywhere. I think that I may have even broken some of his teeth, and to be honest, I hope I did! He disappeared into the darkness as quickly as he appeared crying like a baby. Now, if this scumbag thief approached me and stuck a gun to my head, I would have given him my money. The point is that I was not willing to give up my hard earned money just because someone else wanted it. To me it was ridiculous demand. This is kind of what management did. They made an ridiculous demand for an obsurd amount of money. It was not even reasonable. Now it appears that management has pulled out the proverbial gun and is putting it to labors head. What choices does labor have? The way I see it there are five choices: (1) resign, (2) find another job then resign, (3) allow the courts to impose wage cuts and accept it, or (4) allow the courts and the company to impose wages cuts and accept them, or (5) wait for liquidation.

As I have said before on this board, my wife works for US Airways...16 years in fact. She will not work for one penny less than what is earning now. That is her personal decision. Her job is simply not worth it. If the BK court forces wage cuts she will resign. If US Airways liquidates she will accept that also. There comes a point at which every employee must make their own decision about what they are willing to work for. Her position has deteriorated to such a point that it is no longer worth the aggrevation and the level of stress. She has alternative employment lined up already with two written offers. She must make a decision by next Monday 10/4. One for slightly less than she makes now and 20 miles less each way to work. And one for about two grand more and about 4 miles more each way to work. And guess what....This particular job considers their employees "Team Mates". The companys motto is "If your not having FUN, you will not want to be at work". Imagine that! What a stark contrast to US Airways. Needless to say, I believe she will be resigning next week. Good luck to all at US Airways!

There is no evidence of RJs feeding mainline growth. This company continues on a path opposite of a LCC. Their only plan is to offer less seats at lower fares to be financed on the backs of employee wage cuts. Who can call this progress?

unit4clt said:
There is no evidence of RJs feeding mainline growth. This company continues on a path opposite of a LCC. Their only plan is to offer less seats at lower fares to be financed on the backs of employee wage cuts. Who can call this progress?
[post="185775"][/post]​

That is definitely the "nut shell".

This will be quite interesting to see what happens over the next few months. It seems to be a battle between those that are desperate to stay at this deteriorating company and those that no longer give a damn and are just sticking it out until the final curtain call.

Would be great if the company would take a mandatory poll of employees to see how everyone feels. Just curious how the majority really feel. You can't tell by reading this forum because it's only a small percentage of employees that post here and it's always the same ones.

Maybe knowing how the majority feel would sway employees to either go with the restructuring because the majority have faith in the company's success or if the majority don't give a damn then it may sway employees to agree with saving time and energy and just throw in the towel.

RJ's feed and fly non-feed missions, just like at other airlines that surround our route system. We should have embraced this revolution years ago, like the Piedmont F28 program, or the PSA BEA146 program.

Instead we dropped routes that competed in this arena, that is changing now, and it is about time.

The market is dictating what is happening here....

unit4clt said:
[post="185775"][/post]​

bobcat said:
This will be quite interesting to see what happens over the next few months. It seems to be a battle between those that are desperate to stay at this deteriorating company and those that no longer give a damn and are just sticking it out until the final curtain call.

Would be great if the company would take a mandatory poll of employees to see how everyone feels. Just curious how the majority really feel. You can't tell by reading this forum because it's only a small percentage of employees that post here and it's always the same ones.

Maybe knowing how the majority feel would sway employees to either go with the restructuring because the majority have faith in the company's success or if the majority don't give a damn then it may sway employees to agree with saving time and energy and just throw in the towel.
[post="185825"][/post]​

bobcat-I agree, lets get it on

Why don't you try to find alternative employment? Is it because you can't? You sure are something. Convoluting this board with your biased opinions then having the gull to tell others to leave. Give the good people who stand for principle and pride a break.

-fatburger-

i dont believe it is the unions' fault for not talking. heck just look at some of the proposals that came out---pilots contract propsal kept getting worse, then the only thing cwa was offered was a 13.10 an hr job top pay. hello there usa320--then mgmt cancelled a few meetings with the cwa. as for the iam with a number of cities outsourced to mainline express a 48% pay reductions then to see a total of 5 clowns walk out of usair with their golden million dollar parachutes and of course usair could probably fight to get it back but their not because their mgmt is far too more valuable and we the employees are nothing but liabilities just as dr big mouth bronner has said repeatedly!

Denial continues to run ramped in this topic.

Even the RC4 now understand the realities of the situation. The cuts will come, either consensual or by imposition, which could be worse if court ordered with no ability to seek self help and with the court's approval to outsource if there is a job action.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Denial continues to run ramped in this topic.

Even the RC4 now understand the realities of the situation. The cuts will come, either consensual or by imposition, which could be worse if court ordered with no ability to seek self help and with the court's approval to outsource if there is a job action.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="185867"][/post]​
I agree and like the previous posters with “5â€￾ choices "everyone" must make their own personal decisions on what their course of action will be. It will come down to the people who can endure a shut down and don't want to give more, will stand firm. The others who don't have any other options will accept whatever is needed. Tis Life. This is not about fighting the evil empire of union breakers, it's about a reality a lot of people are finding impossible to accept. Death, Taxes….â€￾Lifeâ€￾.

preach·ment ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prchmnt)
n.
The act of preaching.
A tiresome or unwelcome moral lecture or discourse; tedious sermonizing