Too Bad We Pulled Back This Hub

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/04...tion=cnn_latest

Vancouver is 'best city to live'

Wednesday, October 5, 2005; Posted: 3:27 a.m. EDT (07:27 GMT)

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Vancouver is the world's most desirable place to live, according to a new survey, while Papua New Guinea's Port Moresby is at the other end of the scale.

The Canadian city, nestled on the Pacific coast, was one of four locations in that country to rank at the top of the Economist Intelligence Unit's livability survey, which looked at conditions in 127 cities.

The other top-ranking Canadian cities were Toronto, Calgary and Montreal.

Australia also fared well in the survey by the London-based group, with Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Sydney scoring high marks along with Vienna, Austria, and Geneva and Zurich in Switzerland.

The EIU study assessed nearly 40 indicators in five broad categories -- stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.

"In the current global political climate, it is no surprise that the most desirable destinations are those with a lower perceived threat of terrorism," said Jon Copestake, editor of the report.

Joining Port Moresby at the bottom of the list were Algiers, Algeria, and Dhaka, Bangladesh. Karachi, Pakistan, and Lagos, Nigeria, also ranked poorly. The EIU said 10 cities -- all in Asia, Africa or the Middle East -- had aspects of daily life that "present challenges."

By contrast, the EIU said 63 cities fell into the top livability bracket.

"This reflects the fact that many global business centers have a developed infrastructure and widespread availability," the report states. "Still, the overwhelming majority of cities in the top livability range are based in western Europe and North America."

The report said Canada, "with low crime, little threat from instability or terrorism and a highly developed infrastructure," is the most livable destination in the world.

"Although higher crime rates and a greater threat of terror puts U.S. cities below those of Canada, U.S. cities are still among the world's most livable." Cleveland and Pittsburgh had the highest American scores.
Only three cities in eastern Europe fall into this bracket along with 13 cities from Asia, the EUI said.

I had to read this. I agree with you in one area...( and PIT IS a great airport)
We should "pump" the h@ll out of Pit for the Transatlantic business that may be available there still, just to throw it in WN's face, and maybe, as LCC, we could take back some domestic, but the overall O&D doesn't support replacing PHL with PIT.

elixir said:
I had to read this. I agree with you in one area...( and PIT IS a great airport)
We should "pump" the h@ll out of Pit for the Transatlantic business that may be available there still, just to throw it in WN's face, and maybe, as LCC, we could take back some domestic, but the overall O&D doesn't support replacing PHL with PIT.
[post="309272"][/post]​

I agree, PIT isn't an O&D mecca. It is however an ideal connecting hub. It probably will never get back to where it used to be. That being said, when this was a hub our customer service rankings were sky high over what they are today. For the most part, people live well in PIT. Employees for the most part were content living in this area. Hey, I lived in PHL for a long time and it's just not a great place to live or work out of. Millions will disagree with me and they are happy there, but overall, given the current dysfunctional operation we have at PHL, this company needs to look at all options. Like I posted on the other thread, the average taxi time for a plane landing and taking off in PHL is over 30 minutes, the average taxi time for a plane landing and taking off in PIT and CLT is around 8 minutes. Fuel is a commodity that is not going down and this company could save millions of dollars each year by shifting some flights out of PHL. It's time to look at everything. You can keep the PHL O&D traffic, but we're losing the customers that have to connect domestically in that facility. Food for thought...

And Philadelphia was chosen Next Great City this year by National Geographic Traveler.

CNN.com- Philly named Next Great City

People bash Philly because the airport was not designed to be a hub and it's in the ghetto. The wages US Airways pays may suffice in the burgh and in Charlotte, small cities with relatively low costs of living for the east coast, but they don't in Philly. So you're just not going to get the best employees- the Wendy's near the employee parking lot pays better than some of the agent jobs (and if I remember correctly, had a much cuter uniform which included a scarf ;) )

The city itself is great. The area around the airport where the hotels and crash pads are not. Don't judge Philly by the Airport Ramada and the Lagoon.

If only they could pick up the PIT airport and plop it down in South Jersey.

While I don't doubt that CLE and PIT are great cities, they have both been losing population for the past 30 years. Between 1970 and 2000, Cleveland lost about 220,000 residents (although between 1990 and 2000 it did gain population, but still far below its size in its mid-century heyday). Pittsburgh lost nearly 240,000 residents during the same period and continues to decline by about 4% a year. Meanwhile, Phoenix added nearly 2 million new residents and Charlotte added 800,000 over the last 30 years.

CLTBWIDAYSYR said:
While I don't doubt that CLE and PIT are great cities, they have both been losing population for the past 30 years. Between 1970 and 2000, Pittsburgh lost nearly 240,000 residents.
[post="309306"][/post]​

They were all furloughed from US so moved home... lol

The sad part about PIT is that there are not international flights from there anymore, i think that is terribly sad, US has enough planes to even do international flying from PIT, i hope they ever start PIT-LGW again, or any other flight, i was born in PIT, then my dad transferred here to CLT, but i think its seriosuly sad. The airport in PIT is so beutiful, i hope international comes back, witht he Added A350s coming up, i think something should happen there again. i tried emailing parker, nothing really happend, no reply back, so idk

once again
very sad and i hope pit becomes back what it used to be.
i herd that PITs landing charges etc were high, thats why US de-hubbed it
true ?

A330US said:
The sad part about PIT is that there are not international flights from there anymore,  i think that is terribly sad, US has enough planes to even do international flying from PIT, i hope they ever start PIT-LGW again, or any other flight, i was born in PIT, then my dad transferred here to CLT, but i think its seriosuly sad. The airport in PIT is so beutiful, i hope international comes back, witht he Added A350s coming up, i think something should happen there again. i tried emailing parker, nothing really happend, no reply back, so idk

once again
very sad and i hope pit becomes back what it used to be.
i herd that PITs landing charges etc were high, thats why US de-hubbed it
true ?
[post="309318"][/post]​

Whew! Puncuation please. :)

The airport is fantastic. If U had enough widebodies they could have maybe maintained FRA or LGW, but they barely have enough for the PHL summer schedule.

Light Years said:
And Philadelphia was chosen Next Great City this year by National Geographic Traveler.

CNN.com- Philly named Next Great City

People bash Philly because the airport was not designed to be a hub and it's in the ghetto. The wages US Airways pays may suffice in the burgh and in Charlotte, small cities with relatively low costs of living for the east coast, but they don't in Philly. So you're just not going to get the best employees- the Wendy's near the employee parking lot pays better than some of the agent jobs (and if I remember correctly, had a much cuter uniform which included a scarf ;) )

The city itself is great. The area around the airport where the hotels and crash pads are not. Don't judge Philly by the Airport Ramada and the Lagoon.

If only they could pick up the PIT airport and plop it down in South Jersey.
[post="309301"][/post]​

Light Years, no doubt Philly has a lot of historic and wonderful areas. Like I said, I've lived there. As for the National Geographic Traveler article..I know for a fact it was highly subsidized by the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau, so I am highly suspicious of the feature touting it the "Next Great City"...one can only hope though..

CLTBWIDAYSYR said:
While I don't doubt that CLE and PIT are great cities, they have both been losing population for the past 30 years. Between 1970 and 2000, Cleveland lost about 220,000 residents (although between 1990 and 2000 it did gain population, but still far below its size in its mid-century heyday). Pittsburgh lost nearly 240,000 residents during the same period and continues to decline by about 4% a year. Meanwhile, Phoenix added nearly 2 million new residents and Charlotte added 800,000 over the last 30 years.
[post="309306"][/post]​

True. But what's old now may become "new" again in the future. You get a lot for your housing dollar here and the schools are excellent.

EyeInTheSky said:
True. But what's old now may become "new" again in the future. You get a lot for your housing dollar here and the schools are excellent.
[post="309344"][/post]​
Eye...I would also point out the county government argument as well in this debate, as you know as well as every poster here that is from PIT.....That is, US was NEVER treated very well here for most of their existense...It seemed as though US was an "automatic" tax dollar infusion into county coffers.....Only until Roddy tried to work with them, actually, I believe he busted his ass for U, but unfortunately, it was too late...Onorato also tried, but he got fed up after U stuck the county in BK #1......It's a shame.....there is a great airport ther that is being VERY under-utilized...

NeedForSpeed said:
Eye...I would also point out the county government argument as well in this debate, as you know as well as every poster here that is from PIT.....That is, US was NEVER treated very well here for most of their existense...It seemed as though US was an "automatic" tax dollar infusion into county coffers.....Only until Roddy tried to work with them, actually, I believe he busted his ass for U, but unfortunately, it was too late...Onorato also tried, but he got fed up after U stuck the county in BK #1......It's a shame.....there is a great airport ther that is being VERY under-utilized...
[post="309354"][/post]​

NeedForSpeed, true. But, I will say this, sometimes US asked for it. They stopped being a good corporate citizen to this area when Wolf came along. For example, our United Way campaigns didn't get the backing from CCY that it used to get under Colodny and Schofield. Plus, there were a lot of other things that happened. And, I hate to say it, I witnessed more cocky/entitlement attitudes in Moon Township from US employees towards area businesses that at times was embarrassing to witness. So, let's face it, there isn't a lot of "love" in the area for US Airways and some of its employees. But business is business and people and areas will move on in one form or another. It is ashame to see that great airport not living up to its potential. Sad...

EyeInTheSky said:
NeedForSpeed, true. But, I will say this, sometimes US asked for it. So, let's face it, there isn't a lot of "love" in the area for US Airways and some of its employees. But business is business and people and areas will move on in one form or another. It is ashame to see that great airport not living up to its potential. Sad...
[post="309360"][/post]​
Very good points EYE...All one had to do over the last several years was read the local newspaper.......every chance was a swipe at U.....