TR: PVD-MFR via DCA, CLT & PHX Jan 7, 2008

vantheman63

Senior
Aug 30, 2007
PVD
Visit site
This TR is for everyone that thinks all us pax and CPs b***h and moan about everything...

Great trip here on US. And I have to admit, begrudgingly, there is some equity in this...if you pay $0.073 per mile, get there on time, actually early and it all goes smooth, it's a "fair deal."

Now, do business travelers (rightfully) expect and deserve more for loyalty? I think, possibly. BUT, if the carrier can actually sell the seats, then it is what it is.

US Airways Itinerary Details
----------------------------------------------------------
Mon., Jan. 07, 2008:
US Flight 3997 CRJ-200 departing PVD at 9:30 AM arriving DCA at 11:06 AM, Seat 8D
US Flight 862 A319 departing DCA at 11:55 AM arriving CLT at 1:20 PM, Seat 3C
US Flight 1509 A321 departing CLT at 2:25 PM arriving PHX at 5:11 PM, Seat 22D
US Flight 2864 CRJ-200 departing PHX at 5:52 PM arriving MFR at 7:19 PM, Seat 8D
----------------------------------------------------------
Total Trip Cost: $286.60

Actual Air Fare = $240.93
Actual Miles Flown = 3,315
RASM for US = $0.073 per mile
Taxes & Fees = $45.67

Purchased on November 5, 2007....before I realized that US charges the $5.00 booking fee. Now, color me a Priceline.com whore. On line check in worked just fine.

US Flight 3997 CRJ-200 - Have I told anyone, lately, how much I despise this airplane from a customer perspective? Awful airplane. Air Whiskey ride. Boarded and buttoned the plane up by 9:17 am and were in the air by 9:27....3 minutes prior to scheduled departure. But the airplane was totally full, why sit there? Basic service...the F/A RAN through the airplane to get done and go do her crossword puzzel. Uneventful. Got into DCA early and went to the club.

US Flight 862 A319 - Upgraded at the 7 day window. 4 open seats in F....on a business traveler's Monday? Strange. Very good, and at one time, close friend of mine was working this ride. We chatted for a while, good to catch up. Airplane was reasonably clean, save the pen marks on the back of 2C. I've never really penalized US for this in my mind....'cause I can't understand who does this and why. Pushed a minute or two early, off the runway and into the air quick...into CLT early, off to the Club.

US Flight 1509 A321 - Upgraded at 5 days....BUT, my co-worker was not upgraded with me. I called my US CP "Personal Liason" and was given some sort of BS reason why it wouldn't happen....I've done it many times before. So I "downgraded" back to 22D...which frankly, I prefer anyway. We pushed a minute or two late, sat on the runway for 30 minutes and were airborn 35 minutes after scheduled departure. Brought lunch on the airplane, had a VERY friendly, good crew. I had my lunch, read, and the flight went fast. Landed right on time...and I went straight to my connecting gate.

US Flight 2864 CRJ-200 - Did I remind everyone how much I hate this ride? Mesa rig. Friendly F/A. Got on the ride and we pushed 10 minutes early and were airborn shortly after scheduled departure. We were told to expect a 2:19 ride with the headwinds...we landed in MFR 10 minutes early. Uneventful, not much service for a 2 hour ride in a crappy CRJ-200.

Overall, pretty hard to beat this. EVERYONE thought I had been stoned or high when I took a 4 airplane ride PVD-MFR...but it was actually the fastest commute...believe it or not. And it went VERY well.

The equity here is that, when you can pay $0.07 per mile and "get there" on time, that's not a bad deal...from my vantage point. Can the airplanes be cleaner? Maybe. But the crews were great, the service, minimal, but forgiveable.

All in all, good job US...I got my monies' worth...and I would be fine with doing this ride again.

A WN price for a generally WN product (better in some places - F/C DCA-CLT - and worse in others - RJ's and probably less seat pitch on the other 3 legs).

Jim

I figure US is making enough money off my flight to offer Van that rate of $0.07 per mile for his trip

SYR-LGA-MHT on two Colgan Saabs = 431.00 Plus fees

My estimate of 450 air mils for the routing equals close to $1.00 per mile. (so who said US has low fares?)

Come to think of it Van, since my company seems to be subsidizing your airfare, the next time I am in PVD you can buy be dinner up on the hill for their genorisity in keeping your company's expenses down.

Well,Van, thanks for the positive correspondence - - sorry for all the gripings of everyone - -they all know that even if the company did profit they'd probably find a way to make that a travesty as well. Hope to see you again - - you don't need a personal liaison, just be nice to the agents and they'll be nice to you. Don't listen to these killjoys.

How is it a "fair deal" when US certainly lost money on your trip? :blink:

I think you actually made a point I've been working at making for a while now....

You are correct...it's really not a "fair deal." But, it's a deal that works for me, knowing the CASMs for US....I know I won't be disappointed in that, I'm getting what I paid for. "Not a whole lot more then a seat that gets there, on time, with my bags." (Does that positioning sound familiar? "Business Casual????")

While I would NEVER profess to be any kind of expert when it comes to revenue management for an airline....it seems to me this isn't a particularly "long term, sustainable" situation.

InternationalShannon, thanks for the kind words...and I will be back. But I have to admit, I'll be back when I'm able to score seats in that $0.10 per mile and under. I certainly don't want to be a killjoy...but I also don't want to go through some of the horrendous irritation I've been through in the past, spending premium, high yield dollars for a product that can not deliver at this point in time.

Non-the-less...the trip was a good one and given the need and the finance of the trip, I would and will do it again.

A WN price for a generally WN product (better in some places - F/C DCA-CLT - and worse in others - RJ's and probably less seat pitch on the other 3 legs).

Jim

Exactly right....exactly.

And this point made by The Captain is exactly the point I've tried to make all along...."we have a product that is not well positioned," ie, "Business Casual" and "world's largest low fare, low cost carrier with all the amenities of a full service carrier."

The product worked and worked well for me....but it was at a loss for US. I personally do not want to see US lose money. But until they can deliver on their "positioning promise," it's worth....$0.073 per mile to me.

Exactly right....exactly.

And this point made by The Captain is exactly the point I've tried to make all along...."we have a product that is not well positioned," ie, "Business Casual" and "world's largest low fare, low cost carrier with all the amenities of a full service carrier."

The product worked and worked well for me....but it was at a loss for US. I personally do not want to see US lose money. But until they can deliver on their "positioning promise," it's worth....$0.073 per mile to me.
Good for you! I am glad you had a pleasant experience.