Transformation Plan Hints

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Dear Fellow Employee:

Sifting through a lot of information and talking with different sources, I have put together a list of information on points being discussed by US Airways' management that could become part of the upcoming "Transformation Plan".

It is my understanding the new business plan will be a hybrid LCC/network carrier program designed to lower unit costs while maintaining a revenue premium in small spoke, Caribbean, and other international markets.

The company recognizes there is a revenue and pricing problem and management understands the need to simplify the fare structure, but before it can be done the company must match the LCC pricing its model to prevent a revenue drain, thus US Airways must transform itself by lowering its unit costs to a competitive level.

Parts of the plan could include rolling hubs to dramatically smooth out flying/hub delays (this could be huge in PHL and I like it) and will also increase ground personnel productivity within current contractual provisions. PHL could also see runway changes with turboprops using runway 26, RJs on 17/35, and mainline aircraft on 9/27s.

The company has hinted to ALPA it intends to expand block hours with more destinations and point-to-point flying, but management will need major productivity improvements across-the-board -- in all work groups -- to permit more flying at a lower unit cost.

The current aircraft utilization rate is 10 hours per day (designed to match capacity with demand) and the company would like to increase this as much as possible -- if costs can be dropped to permit lower fares, which could drop unit costs by better utilizing existing facilities/assets.

We can expect to see more facility integration with United and after LAX early next year, likely airports to see co-located facilities are SFO & DEN, which will reduce the combined business entity facility expense. Moreover, the PIT hub negotiations are still being held hostage to United’s inability to obtain exit financing and PIT costs savings should evolve as well, but it's unclear how this will unfold and the company could exit this hub and move its assets westward.

The company continues to evaluate more long-haul Airbus flying to places like, Panama City, Panama, Guatemala City, Guatemala, San Salvador, El Salvador, Albuquerque, San Jose, Portland, Salt Lake City, and Reno, but to do this management desires improved employee productivity from all workgroups, although the agents and ground personnel have provided productivity enhancements for these new markets with their mainline/express provision and because these new cities can be operated with contractors.

Reports indicate US Airways could sell some gates to Virgin USA to further lower its costs and the airports being mentioned are Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco Los Angeles, and Miami. The intent could be to obtain capital, increase utilization of existing facilities, and to permit further integration with United. According to the Los Angeles Times Virgin USA CEO Richard Branson indicated an agreement with the airline could be reached as early as next week.

In regard to Europe, Siegel told Air Transport World in their September edition US Airways will "ultimately fly up to 20 European destinations" out of Philadelphia, where I understand Milan, Zurich, Athens, Copenhagen, and Brussels could be new destinations, although just two more can be added with our current fleet (the wide body fleet could grow).

In regard to pilot and F/A productivity, "Pref Bid" will fuel some of these block hour growth this spring, but in my opinion to increase flight crew productivity towards Southwest and JetBlue numbers, I expect to see the company ask for things like PC/PT/RGS to always be pay no credit, combine B767D with B767I flying, establish training lines to reduce or eliminate bought trips, permit pilots to move early to a new bid to avoid inactive with pay status, increase training holds, increase TDY times etc.

Moreover, the plan will involve no W-2 cuts or pilot furloughs.

Let’s not forget the company will see big revenue boosts in 2004 and 2005 with the addition of over 200 more RJs (100 in 2004 & 2005 each) and the Spanair, Lufthansa, Star, and GoCaribbean code share alliances will be fully integrated. In regard to MDA, the EMB-170s will now have a single class, to help the company battle the pending JetBlue EMB-190 deployment scheduled to begin in about 3 years.

The first MDA EMB-170 line pilot training class began on November 20 and MDA is progressing with the specific aircraft delivery schedule to be announced shortly. Last week the federal government approved the FAA Reauthorization Act, which will permit the company to fly the EMB-170 into Washington National. Management believes this will give US Airways a competitive advantage and Siegel has told Shuttle employees this aircraft could fly the Shuttle during off peak hours, to better match capacity with demand.

The intent of the Shuttle move would be to reallocate the current off peak A319s to long-haul markets and make the Shuttle profitable. From this observers first hand experience, mid day Shuttle flights (Boston, New York, and Washington) have between 40 to 60 passengers, therefore, a 70-seat jet could become instantly profitable with its 50% break even load factor.

To further boost revenue and cut costs there will be more emphasis on a simplfied fare structure with lower distribution channels. There will be more focus on Kiosks and internet booking and in my opinion, as part of the PIT hub negotiations, we could see the elimination of the Greentree Reservation facility and the addition of reservation space at the Winston-Salem facility, where there is extra office space available for a streamlined reservations sales operation.

Senior management has let it be known that industry consolidation is inevitable and informed sources have said it's only a matter of time. However, a deal cannot proceed at this time with United because the Chicago-based airline cannot emerge from bankruptcy due to its four key unresolved problems.

One report indicates senior executives would like to see a deal similar in scope to ValueJet and AirTran where US Airways would be the survivor, the corporate headquarters would remain in CCY, the paint scheme and wordmark would be US Airways', and the new name of the combined business entity would be United Airlines because the Chicago-based carrier has greater market identity due to its size and network breath.

If United cannot file a POR that is due the first week in March (although the carrier is expected to seek another extension), then we could see the UCT, an AF-KLM type of deal, or a true merger, provided US Airways can get its unit costs down to about 8.7 cents.

However, as I have said before, before any deal can proceed both companies must first stabilize their business, then they can negotiate the final deal, but industry consolidation is inevitable.

Regardless, the transformation plan is evolving and we should hear more in the not-so-distant future.

Regards,

Chip

I believe it was dreamed up while sitting behind the grassy knoll while watching Conspiracy Theory while smoking Cuban Cigars.

Chip,

Interesting reading. It seems that all of the items you mentioned except fare restructuring and the UCT would lower unit costs with or without further concessions. Why Siegel can't begin taking these steps while negotiating any further concessions escapes me.

I assume the fare restructuring would be along the lines of what AWA has done, since no specifics were given. They showed that fare simplification is a revenue booster. Why Siegel can't take steps to increase revenue without further concessions is beyond me.

I'll leave the UCT alone - it has been beat to death in numerous other threads.

In short, Chip, we have been told by various CEO's since at least 1991 that good times are just around the corner if only we employees would agree to some concessions. We have heard it twice from Siegel. Maybe if he really, really, really promises this time things will be different. Or he could begin taking those actions that are completely and unconditionally in his control to begin lowering unit costs and improving revenues. After all, actions speak louder than words.

Jim

BB,

If Chip is even half correct.....

I agree with you. Dave can begin and implement the majority of the "transformation", without more concessions from any group, or at least, while in talks. If there are no further pilot furloughs, there shouldn't be any more furloughs for any group. So, what's the problem? I am not quite sure what he is seeking from labor that he doesn't already have the ability to do to make this "new plan" work.

Enlightment please......

Interesting post. I hope USAir can pull off a restructuring that stabilizes it's business.

Interesting however, that nothing can ever be said by this poster without a few unsubstantiated jabs at United Airlines.

Examples: "United’s inability to obtain exit financing..."

Untrue and unsubstantiated. Care to provide proof of this statement beyond a secret source or an opinion stated by some non-United person/analyst/USAir manager?

Another example: "One report indicates senior executives would like to see a deal similar in scope to ValueJet and AirTran..."

I'm sure senior executives would LIKE to see a deal like this. I would LIKE to win the lottery. I would also LIKE for you to dropped your obsession with my company.
Are any of those things probable just because someone would like it to happen? NO!

And please spare us the victim routine when UA persons start posting on this thread. As long as you speculate about us, we will come.

(By the way, you still haven't accounted for your contradictory statements about UA losing $400-$500 Million before bankruptcy costs, and then when you were wrong, claiming that UA will lose that $ after BK costs. Why do you avoid these questions when people use your very own words to prove you wrong and shed light on how you twist facts? Are you afraid it might bring into question your credibility and that of your sources? Don't worry, that's already happened.)

I would like to see the proof about the PIT negotiations being held hostage due to UA in bankruptcy myself.

Chip Munn said:
Siegel has told Shuttle employees this aircraft could fly the Shuttle during off peak hours, to better match capacity with demand.
Well, if this is the case..(would love to know where you get this stuff), but if this is the case I hope that the EMB "shuttle" runs stay with in the MidAtlantic/EMB 170/175 Division.

I don't think any more time needs to be trimmed from mainline, but all EMB flying must be done by MDA.

If this holds true and is not speculaton, then if anything, this will add time to mainline.

Twice baked,

And NO. All EMB flying does not have to be done in MDA. The 90 seaters were negotiatied to go to "Mainline". You should embrace any mainline growth.

If management thinks they are going to have the "shuttle" folks have a "B" scale system, THINK REAL HARD AGAIN.

If these Embarer are flown by USAirways "mainline" f/as, IT WILL BE MAINLINE CONTRACT!

Chip Munn said:

Senior management has let it be known that industry consolidation is inevitable and informed sources have said it's only a matter of time. However, a deal cannot proceed at this time with United because the Chicago-based airline cannot emerge from bankruptcy due to its four key unresolved problems.

Well I started reading and was glad to see Chip was just sharing his thoughts about the goings-on at U and I was thinking what a nice change it was to see the usual distortions and half-truths and omissions about UA being left out of it.

But, not surprisingly, that only lasted for a couple of paragraphs.

The above quote is my favorite example of Chip-think and subtle UA-distorting from Chip's post.

For some time now, many industry observers have been saying that consolidation is "inevitable." However, none have actually put forth anything concrete to support that something is actually in the works between U and UA-- a point Chip conveniently leaves out over and over again when he talks about the "inevitable industry consolidation" (let's just give it a nifty three-letter acronym like IIC since that seems to be in vogue). The way Chip has chosen to word this, the careless reader (or one unfamiliar with Chip's old bag of verbal tricks) could believe that some "senior management" somewhere have "let it be known" that a U/UA merger (or some sort of IIC) is taking firm steps towards becoming a reality, and would already be a done deal but for UA's bumbling incompetence in emerging from Chapter 11. Someone who hasn't been following the twists and turns of Chip's logic and his way of taking quotes out of context could be forgiven for not knowing that the original quote when made was just about the industry in general and had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with any particular airlines.

And of COURSE UA "CANNOT" emerge from Chapter 11 right now. That is why they are not planning to emerge until the spring / middle timeframe of 2004-- as they have been saying since December 9, 2002, when UA entered Chapter 11 and said it would take about 18 months to emerge! (Let's do the math... December 2002 plus 18 months equals...) No secret there. But the way Chip has chosen his words, the implication is that it is somehow bad that they cannot emerge right now, or that they would actually LIKE to emerge prematurely but some evil forces beyond their control are preventing it.

Chip, you appear to be saying, whether or not you intend it, that things at U would be just great if UA would only hurry up and emerge from bankruptcy ASAP-- whether or not it would be prudent to do so-- so the "IIC" with U (which apparently is all but a done deal in your eyes) would just go ahead and happen already.

It would appear from this observer's perch that some at U are looking towards UA to be the knight in shining armor that saves U; and if UA somehow fails to save U, it will be UA's fault that U goes back into bankruptcy or forces its employees to take more concessions or whatever Chip thinks will happen at U when the "consolidation" / UCT / ICC whatever fails to come to fruition.

No doubt the UAL ALPA merger / fragmentation policy will be to blame.

Oh, and this caught my eye too:

<We can expect to see more facility integration with United and after LAX early next year, likely airports to see co-located facilities are SFO & DEN, which will reduce the combined business entity facility expense.>

Sooo, it would appear that you are now predicting U and UA will be a "combined business entity" (by which I take to mean more than just a marketing arrangement like codesharing or *A) by "early next year?"

700UW,

IF the PIT negotiations are hostage, something better happen soon. U has till Jan 5 to decide to sign leases, drop gates, or pay more.

PitBull,

I'm hoping that what Chip meant about the 170's on off peak shuttle would allow the freed Busses to fly longer haul - with mainline crews and ground folks, of course.

Hope all had a good Thanksgiving...

Jim

Chip Munn said:
Moreover, the PIT hub negotiations are still being held hostage to United’s inability to obtain exit financing
That's a good one too.

Looks to me like the PIT airport authority management is getting sick of U's games and is finally getting serious.

But of course no doubt the UA bogeyman must have something to do with it. I guess that's easier than saying your CEO might not know what the heck he is doing and thing are getting ugly.

I also find it interesting that in your whole post about U's "transformation," there is not one mention about the, er, strategic problem of SW coming to PHL.

You seem to love telling us what U senior management is discussing. I find it odd that that has not come up in the executive suites of CCY.

Seems a bit strange in a post starting a thread entitled "U Transformation," UA (whose only relationship to U is through an already-established marketing arrangement) comes up repeatedly, but SW, which is an imminent / real / clear / present danger to U at U's most lucrative hub, isn't mentioned at all (except once in passing in reference to flight crew productivity).

Would you please do those of us that read the aviation boards (for real information) the kind favor of not claiming that you're being stalked by United employees again, as a result of the responses? You absolutely crave their attention, it is so obvious! With this post, and countless others, you've sparsely peppered US Airways information into a United bashing post. You are baiting them, pure and simple. :down:

"Senior management has let it be known that industry consolidation is inevitable and informed sources have said it's only a matter of time. However, a deal cannot proceed at this time with United because the Chicago-based airline cannot emerge from bankruptcy due to its four key unresolved problems."

The consolidation with UA will be no more than expanding the existing codeshare. There will be no merger nor quasi-merger.

The consolidation to which Dave Siegel was referring would be a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" where we would have WN feed pax connecting to our Caribbean and European flights in PHL.

Latest posts