Transportation Labor Honors Workers Memorial Day

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
April 28, 2004

Demands Government Action on Safety and Security

Washington, D.C. . . . The following statement was issued today by Edward Wytkind, president of the Transportation Trades Department, AFL-CIO, commemorating the April 28 Workers Memorial Day.

"On Workers Memorial Day, transportation workers honor their fallen brothers and sisters and worry that government and industry are not only failing to protect their health and safety, but are actually turning back the clock for both workers and passengers.

"Government statistics paint a terrible picture – 60,000 workers die each year from job-related illness and injury and 4.7 million workers are injured on the job annually. But behind these numbers lies the deep sense of anxiety that transportation workers have each day. It is an anxiety rooted in watching too many corporations play to Wall Street and cut too many corners on maintenance and training. It is an anxiety driven by seeing workers harassed, intimidated, or fired for reporting injuries or
safety and security lapses. It is an anxiety from one of the nation’s most dangerous lines of work – transportation – undergoing a radical and frightening transformation since 9/11.

"Our government must take bold action to protect transportation workers and passengers. It must ensure that workers receive all the training their jobs and these times demand. It must provide whistle-blower protections that ensure no worker is silenced from speaking out on safety and security. It must keep a sharp and un-biased eye on corporations and their safety practices, particularly at a time when many businesses are struggling to be profitable.

"Workers in this country seriously question whether their government is looking out for their health and safety. When workers see enforcement of federal safety rules weakened to the point where compliance is often voluntary, when workers hear their company and its lobbyists sneer at any form of regulation, and when workers see politicians targeting a century of progress made by the labor movement, it makes many transportation workers think it is time for a change in Washington.

"On Workers Memorial Day, we honor those who have died in the workplace by fighting for those who are still on the job."

Great story on a Holiday that the TWU gave away observance of CIO.

Got any more post of wisdom from the Bus Shrine?

Checking it Out said:
April 28, 2004

Demands Government Action on Safety and Security

Washington, D.C. . . . The following statement was issued today by Edward Wytkind, president of the Transportation Trades Department, AFL-CIO, commemorating the April 28 Workers Memorial Day.

"On Workers Memorial Day, transportation workers honor their fallen brothers and sisters and worry that government and industry are not only failing to protect their health and safety, but are actually turning back the clock for both workers and passengers.

"Government statistics paint a terrible picture – 60,000 workers die each year from job-related illness and injury and 4.7 million workers are injured on the job annually. But behind these numbers lies the deep sense of anxiety that transportation workers have each day. It is an anxiety rooted in watching too many corporations play to Wall Street and cut too many corners on maintenance and training. It is an anxiety driven by seeing workers harassed, intimidated, or fired for reporting injuries or
safety and security lapses. It is an anxiety from one of the nation’s most dangerous lines of work – transportation – undergoing a radical and frightening transformation since 9/11.

"Our government must take bold action to protect transportation workers and passengers. It must ensure that workers receive all the training their jobs and these times demand. It must provide whistle-blower protections that ensure no worker is silenced from speaking out on safety and security. It must keep a sharp and un-biased eye on corporations and their safety practices, particularly at a time when many businesses are struggling to be profitable.

"Workers in this country seriously question whether their government is looking out for their health and safety. When workers see enforcement of federal safety rules weakened to the point where compliance is often voluntary, when workers hear their company and its lobbyists sneer at any form of regulation, and when workers see politicians targeting a century of progress made by the labor movement, it makes many transportation workers think it is time for a change in Washington.

"On Workers Memorial Day, we honor those who have died in the workplace by fighting for those who are still on the job."
send a copy of that to management you prick

All this is, is another photo op where a bunch of union dictators in suits get around and make speaches. In the meantime these same people are making themselves rich while presiding over the destruction of working peoples standard of living.

Instead of rolling up their sleeves and organizing strikes and pickets to insure safe working conditions and adequate pay todays labor leaders offer nothing but rhetoric and photo ops. They fail to lead then blame the members.

Hey CIO,

I'm thinking about attending the next TWU meeting. The one in May. What day does it fall on?

Do you think AMFA can get this holiday in Singapore? After all..they sent the work to the workers, shouldn't they accept the recognition?

Hey DRIPPY,

It was the IAM that sent the work to Singapore. The IAM is a member of the AFL-CIO. The same mighty AFL-CIO that couldn't get the U.S.government to sanction CHINA for it's slave labor practices and fraudulant currency manipulation.

Bob Owens said:
All this is, is another photo op where a bunch of union dictators in suits get around and make speaches. In the meantime these same people are making themselves rich while presiding over the destruction of working peoples standard of living.

Instead of rolling up their sleeves and organizing strikes and pickets to insure safe working conditions and adequate pay todays labor leaders offer nothing but rhetoric and photo ops. They fail to lead then blame the members.
How true (and sad)....Something that had noble intentions being skewed by the avarice of a few.

Decision 2004 said:
Great story on a Holiday that the TWU gave away observance of CIO.

Got any more post of wisdom from the Bus Shrine?
How f****** stupid can you get Dave, and the rest of you AMFA a**holes. I can see how you really enjoy spinning stuff around you've got to be on some sort of medication thats not working. Repaet after me, we did not give away WORKERS MEMORIAL DAY, if you idiots would read what was posted and the date you'd see its a WHOLE DIFFERENT DAY THAN MEMORIAL DAY. I'm fed up with the same few D***HEADS spewing the BS time after time, its old already, give it a rest, get a life, but then again you've been told this time and time again, and you don't listen, you can't see the forest for the trees.
Personally I don't give a flyin F*** who represents us, and there are quite a few of us who feel the same way. I'm outta here.

These wannabes are only concerned with what they lost. They don't give a darn about what "Worker's Memorial Day" is even about. Boo hoo, I lost a paid holiday, boo hoo!!!

But I will beg to differ with you Fixer about not caring who represents us. TWU is clearly the right choice at AA. And we are fighting amfa every step of the way!!

A/C FIXER said:
How f****** stupid can you get Dave, and the rest of you AMFA a**holes. I can see how you really enjoy spinning stuff around you've got to be on some sort of medication thats not working. Repaet after me, we did not give away WORKERS MEMORIAL DAY, if you idiots would read what was posted and the date you'd see its a WHOLE DIFFERENT DAY THAN MEMORIAL DAY. I'm fed up with the same few D***HEADS spewing the BS time after time, its old already, give it a rest, get a life, but then again you've been told this time and time again, and you don't listen, you can't see the forest for the trees.
Personally I don't give a flyin F*** who represents us, and there are quite a few of us who feel the same way. I'm outta here.
Pushing Buttons are we there pal?

Guess this Dumb @$$ didn't read my earlier statement that I thought that they were trying to create another holiday we have to work on........