travel suspension for conduct

night_ice

Advanced
Nov 26, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I was traveling recently and wondered what has ever happened to any employees who gave buddy passes to someone and somehow, the employee got their flying priv's suspended. Have heard of companion pass riders, flying on a "friends" pass, cause the employee to be terminated for the "guests" actions. What normally causes one to lose their priviliges when traveling space-a? Has anyone been passed over so someone the agent knew could get the last seat? There have been times I felt like correcting the agent or giving my opinion, but kept my cool. DOes the agent just type an e-mail to the pass dep't, write a letter, or what? Just curious of anyone's stories.

I was traveling recently and wondered what has ever happened to any employees who gave buddy passes to someone and somehow, the employee got their flying priv's suspended. Have heard of companion pass riders, flying on a "friends" pass, cause the employee to be terminated for the "guests" actions. What normally causes one to lose their priviliges when traveling space-a? Has anyone been passed over so someone the agent knew could get the last seat? There have been times I felt like correcting the agent or giving my opinion, but kept my cool. DOes the agent just type an e-mail to the pass dep't, write a letter, or what? Just curious of anyone's stories.
I got busted flying on my pass on a day when i called in FMLA on my shift... I got a slap on the wrist and a pat on the bum... I flew before my shift not during it so they really couldn't do too much about it, I said I was sick when I got where I was going and drove home....

The pass dept ratted me out for it they sent an e mail to the manager of the dept.

ONCE in six years have I said ANYTHING to the pass dept. about anyone. I made sure to hand write it and include a hard copy of the person's reservation along with the documentation I put in it.

We're SUPPOSED to ask for flexi's when one gets upgraded- doesn't mean we take them but...one woman walked up to me one day and ADAMANTLY demanded her seat assignment NOW. (It was MORE than an hour and a half to departure and I was only at the gate to grab something out of a drawer before I went to grab my lunch.) I told her to see me in about 35 minutes and if the flight was still only booked to 25 I would be more than happy to give her and her mama thier seats. She called a few choice words and stormed off.

Cut to about 25 minutes later when I go to open the flight. I had not even begun to default my computer for the flight when VOILA! Here she is AGAIN. I told to her to give me a couple seconds to get my paperwork going and I'd have her seats. LITERALLY three seconds is all I asked her to wait. She threw a FIT. LOL...then I gave her the seats. She said "Where the F*** is my first class seat? I know for a FACT all 8 seats are open." I asked her is she had flexi's to upgrade. She screamed at me "screw you...I work here for a living...in 18 years I have NEVER been asked for a flexi, this is BS. I want your name and badge number because I am writing you up." I gladly handed it over to her, the gate agent next to me heard EVERY word and I asked her to PLEASE write me up about it, and be truthful as I have witnesses. I also promptly took back her boarding passes and unsat ONLY her (as her Mama was seated about three feet away BLUSHING and hiding her face.) I told her, you can have your seats back when you talk with my manager about this.

She had her priviledges revoked for 6 months...I was not the first one to complain about her unruly behavior. Seriously, I have only had two other PAYING passengers treat me like that. It was BAAAAAAAAAAD. (What I wrote sounds like nothing at all really...but she had on her badge and was saying F***, SH**, C**T...you name it! It was EMBARRASSING for ME! YIKES!)

So, to make a short story long, I think your behavior has to be REALLY off the mark.

ONCE in six years have I said ANYTHING to the pass dept. about anyone. I made sure to hand write it and include a hard copy of the person's reservation along with the documentation I put in it.

We're SUPPOSED to ask for flexi's when one gets upgraded- doesn't mean we take them but...one woman walked up to me one day and ADAMANTLY demanded her seat assignment NOW. (It was MORE than an hour and a half to departure and I was only at the gate to grab something out of a drawer before I went to grab my lunch.) I told her to see me in about 35 minutes and if the flight was still only booked to 25 I would be more than happy to give her and her mama thier seats. She called a few choice words and stormed off.

Cut to about 25 minutes later when I go to open the flight. I had not even begun to default my computer for the flight when VOILA! Here she is AGAIN. I told to her to give me a couple seconds to get my paperwork going and I'd have her seats. LITERALLY three seconds is all I asked her to wait. She threw a FIT. LOL...then I gave her the seats. She said "Where the F*** is my first class seat? I know for a FACT all 8 seats are open." I asked her is she had flexi's to upgrade. She screamed at me "screw you...I work here for a living...in 18 years I have NEVER been asked for a flexi, this is BS. I want your name and badge number because I am writing you up." I gladly handed it over to her, the gate agent next to me heard EVERY word and I asked her to PLEASE write me up about it, and be truthful as I have witnesses. I also promptly took back her boarding passes and unsat ONLY her (as her Mama was seated about three feet away BLUSHING and hiding her face.) I told her, you can have your seats back when you talk with my manager about this.

She had her priviledges revoked for 6 months...I was not the first one to complain about her unruly behavior. Seriously, I have only had two other PAYING passengers treat me like that. It was BAAAAAAAAAAD. (What I wrote sounds like nothing at all really...but she had on her badge and was saying F***, SH**, C**T...you name it! It was EMBARRASSING for ME! YIKES!)

So, to make a short story long, I think your behavior has to be REALLY off the mark.

What did this charmer do for the airline? Nothing to do with customers, I hope.

I can't help but relay an unrelated, but similiar story. Ten years ago, in CLT, I had an agent bring on a Passenger, point to a first class seat and say ,"Sit there". As boarding was completing, one of my Flight Attendants said, "Captain, who is that person the agent put in first class, and what is going on?. I've raised 3 kids, and I can tell when something is fishy."

The final count was off by one person. When I asked the agent about this, she replied (loud enough for all of first class and several rows of coach to hear), "I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS. GET THE **CK OUT OF HERE, AND TAKE YOUR **CKING AIRPLANE WITH YOU."

It was unbelievable.....

I calmly set the 737's parking brake, informed her that the brake was staying set, until I spoke to a manager and the matter was cleared. This lady looked like she was about to have a stroke.

Bottom line. She was putting another agent's husband on without any ticket. To this day, I don't know why. Why not ticket him in the back, and then ask the crew if it's OK if he rides up front? Nobody really cares, so why do it this way?

This lady should have been fired. She got 6 month's off instead.

This is the second craziest thing I've seen in my 25 years of airline flying. The craziest thing is not appropriate for a public forum such as this, and will have to go unmentioned......

I can't help but relay an unrelated, but similiar story. Ten years ago, in CLT, I had an agent bring on a Passenger, point to a first class seat and say ,"Sit there". As boarding was completing, one of my Flight Attendants said, "Captain, who is that person the agent put in first class, and what is going on?. I've raised 3 kids, and I can tell when something is fishy."

*snipped for screen space*

This is the second craziest thing I've seen in my 25 years of airline flying. The craziest thing is not appropriate for a public forum such as this, and will have to go unmentioned......

crazy pax stories are great, post it, or at least pm it to those who want to read it, I would be one for sure.

Nothing like getting blamed for the fact that its raining, or that the local aiport authority doesn't have jetways for our planes, just last night had some guy flipping us off outside the airport and swearing at us about our 'shitty f**king service'
its like working with a pack of animals

I told her, you can have your seats back when you talk with my manager about this.

Well...did she ever get on an airplane? That behavior really was off the mark. I would have been tempted to act as if she was invisible and never put her on any plane. Any unruly acts and the port police would have been called.

I've scared the crap out of people using my passes. So badly that one time when flying with my elderly mother to Boston to visit family, she was seated a couple of rows ahead of me. The flight attendant came through with the beverage service and asked mom if she'd like a drink. Mom replied in a hushed tone, "If you have enough--I'm a non-rev".

The only pass rider I've ever had words with was a pilot for United. He was using a jumpseat pass from MAD to PHL and his wife and kids were on ID-95s. He blew a gasket when the woman I was working with asked him for the money for the five headsets we watched him take from the last row of seats (that were being prepared for sales shortly after take-off). He ranted and raved that "As a Star carrier we shouldn't be selling headsets...I'm a fellow airline employee, how dare you charge me for anything..." I told him that I would have gladly given him anything he asked for, but he didn't ask, he took it upon himself to "take" them without asking. Further, what part of screaming in the cabin made him a model airline employee? I don't allow PAYING customers to scream at me like that, much less an employee--especially one for a different carrier!

The captain of our flight had words with him and subsequently called the chief pilot in ORD to let him know what happened.

Twice I have had problems with relatives of the people I work with.

The first one I had to call the employee at home and tell her that if she could stop her brother from instigating a riot in the gate area, he might be able to leave and she might not lose her travel priviledges. I felt bad, because she is a sweetheart, but her brother was horrible! We had a flight with a hydraulic leak, so it cancelled. As an S7 he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon, so he started demanding to be put on the next flight, even if it was on another airline. When he was yelling in the gate about what a horrible airline US was and how they better get everyone out of town (using not very nice words) I was about to blow. After I called the employee and had her talk to him, he shut up and was very polite for the rest of the day. They did finally get out about 7 hours later. I'm guessing the thought of a 14 hour drive didn't sound as appealing and shutting up and sitting quietly.

The second was the father of one of our commuters. He lived 90 minutes from the airport and demanded that we deliver his bag. I said as a parent, we won't deliver the bag. He told me that he couldn't believe that and that if we wouldn't deliver the bag he was going to fly Delta! I pointed out that he would have to pay to fly on Delta and that if he had paid to fly on us, we would be happy to deliver the bag. This went on for another 10 minutes before I finally told him that if he didn't stop yelling at me I would be calling the pass bureau and his daughter will be having to pay to fly on Delta and US also. He got in one last jab and walked off. Never did see him again, but I did get an apology from his daughter after I told her what had transpired.

I would hate to involve the pass bureau if it's not the actual employee involved, I think it's easier to deal with it directly with the employee.

My first year I was just starting a 4 day on we were headed to BOS. The last pax scurried on at the last second and took her seat in the first few rows of coach. I was working first. It was a 0900 dept the busiest in PHX. We were about 27 in line. It took a awhile but we were closing in on the front of the line. The same lady ran right by our jumpseat into the f/c lav. The pilots had just announced we were next for dept. The 2nd fa is pounding on the door and I phoned the Capt. He made an announcement we would loose our slot if everyone wasn't in their seats. She barely made to her seat.
we took off. After the 2nd sold headsets this woman came to the front and the lav was occupied .. I told her the back lavs were open if she needed. She wanted to wait. She then asked if she could purchase a triple vodka. I told her she could purchase liquor during the beverage. SHe then went to the back and slammed the door. I filled in the 3rd on her behavior. He also told her she would need to wait until the beverage. trying to discourage what was going to turn into a drinking binge. I guess she flipped him off and went back to her seat. He phoned me asking for her name off the paper work. WHOOPS she is on a buddy pass! NO WAY!!!
Long story short. Her behavior became more disturbing she would scream at the movie claiming she was scared. Then she started yelling that the small children would go to hell. Mind you kids were sitting all around. We ended up reseating all the kids to the back. An off duty cop presented himself and offered assistance. He ended up sitting next to her the rest of the flight babysitting for us. Her rants would not stop nor would she comply with any of us. Finally when we landed the police came on and took her off in hand cuffs yelling and screaming profanities. Everyone tactfully applauded! Don't know what happened to the employee.

I think the first offense is no pass travel for 6 months.

this summer I had the misfortune to deal with the worst B***ch at LHR. I was a non rev from JFK to LHR on virgin. Yes they lost one of our bags. Anyway we were talking to the bag rep who said that we would need to return to LHR to pick up my bag if found. OK no problem My wife in a calm voice stated she had a slight issue with that as we were flying to CIA on a different airline on a couple of days. Out of no where this bit** came around the counter and screaming at me an my wife about it was a priveledge to fly VA and we should be happy we got one bag !!! Fortuantly the guy We were dealing with calmed her down

I flew back on US LGW CLT NEVER will I fly VA

I knew somebody who called in sick becuase they missed the flight. They told the manager they were sick. The manager asked him if he flew and he said no. When the manager showed him the stand by list the guy was then sick on vacation. When the guy heard the word TERMINATION, he admitted getting to the airport late and missed the flight.
It was the agents fault because there was plenty of time for him to get on the flight.

Guy got placed on a discipline level and him and his family lost their travel benefits for 3 months.

I knew somebody who called in sick becuase they missed the flight. They told the manager they were sick. The manager asked him if he flew and he said no. When the manager showed him the stand by list the guy was then sick on vacation. When the guy heard the word TERMINATION, he admitted getting to the airport late and missed the flight.
It was the agents fault because there was plenty of time for him to get on the flight.

Guy got placed on a discipline level and him and his family lost their travel benefits for 3 months.
That would suck losing the travel benefits, but imagine if you were a commuter!