Trip Report/Comment--AA JFK-MIA-JFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
Having flown primarily CO and US over the past year, I recently had the chance to try AA again--primarily because of the choice of a 763 and 777 on the JFK-MIA route (the MD-88 does get old after a while). I must say while the equipment change was enjoyable and more comfortable, I was both surprised and disappointed by the service received on board--both in First and Coach (one upgrade cleared one didn't).

On AA2255, JFK-MIA, one FA was at the boarding door and did say hello to everyone as they walked on board, but that was about it. Another group of FA's were in the galley, and a couple were in the back , so I couldn't tell what they were up to. From the time I got to my seat in row 2, however, until the door was closed and they did the safety walk through, there was not one interaction between a crew member and a passenger in the F cabin--no hanging of coats, no predeparture beverage (there was PLENTY of time), and not even so much as a smile and greeting.

Once in the air, the bev service was quick and efficient, and it appeared they were just going through the motions--followed by an equally enthusiastic meal service (which I was surprised to learn had a hot entree option). After the cookie, which is still a nice touch, at which time they offered a drink refill, the crew retreated into the galleys again not to be seen until the pre-landing safety checks. At one point I asked for more water, and the FA forgot completely.

As one who flies almost every week, I am well aware it could be just a group having a bad day, and I was prepared to write this experience off to that, however, on the return, aboard the 777, the lacksidaisical performance continued. A quick hello as we walked aboard, followed by a safety check after the door closed...admittedly I was in the C cabin, which was operated as main cabin, however the similarities to the previous experience in F were surprising.

After takeoff, one quick round of trying to sell headphones, followed by a single beverage service, with NO food whatsoever offered (not even a bag of peanuts or a paid snack), and again, the entire crew disappeared until safety checks prior to landing. There was a group sitting in the jump seats by the lavs between C and F, reading away--I had to ask a question about something or other and the person looked up at me like I was disturbing her.

Now I am aware that there is a labor dispute between the flight attendants and management at AA, however I sincerely hope this is not a case of taking frustrations out on customers by doing the bare minimum. I must say in comparison, that a mediocre or not so great flight on DL or CO was better than the two flights I experienced last week on AA....narrowbody notwithstanding.

In my case, I was considering enrolling for a platinum challenge on AA, however based on my experience I have reconsidered. I think I will keep with what I have-- DL and CO, where at least they smile and say thank you.

Oh--and someone should tell scheduling that Runway 31L/13R is open again at JFK--so they don't have to pad the schedules by over an hour each way any more--although it was nice to arrive 30-45 min early.

I realize that there are many fine AA flight crews out there, and I do not mean to disparage the whole group-I just thought it more than a coincidence that I had the similar experience on more than one flight......and I had been warned by a friend that this was a chronic issue on JFK-MIA.

Thanks for listening--my best to you all.......

Reactions: 2 people
You mean the flight attendants didn't put on a magic show or play card tricks after the service?

Art, your experiences mirror mine over the past month. The JFK and DFW crews are the worst. Nothing special in the air.

At least the ORD crews I've flown with seem to understand the separation between delivering customer service and personal opinions over labor negotiations... They keep me on AA vs. UA or DL for the time being, but halfway thru the year, I'm already requal'd for Platinum, and really wondering if it's time to bite the bullet and invest a few dollars in status on DL vs another year of EXP with AA.

Reactions: 1 person
You know the other day I went to Pathmark and when I walked in the door there was no one to greet me. Can you believe that? Then I did some shopping and an employee walked by me and didn't even say hello. Then I walked up to the cashier and I asked her if I could get a glass of water and she just looked at me like I was crazy! I thought maybe it was just the Fort Lee Pathmark but then I went to the one in Bergenfield. It was the same thing! There was music playing over the speaker and I asked the Deli lady what we were listening to and she just shrugged. I mean maybe Pathmark is going through some ugly union spat. I think maybe next week I am going to try Stop N Shop and see if I get treated better. What in tarnation is this country coming to?

You know the other day I went to Pathmark and when I walked in the door there was no one to greet me. Can you believe that? Then I did some shopping and an employee walked by me and didn't even say hello. Then I walked up to the cashier and I asked her if I could get a glass of water and she just looked at me like I was crazy! I thought maybe it was just the Fort Lee Pathmark but then I went to the one in Bergenfield. It was the same thing! There was music playing over the speaker and I asked the Deli lady what we were listening to and she just shrugged. I mean maybe Pathmark is going through some ugly union spat. I think maybe next week I am going to try Stop N Shop and see if I get treated better. What in tarnation is this country coming to?

If you accept customer service like that they you get what you deserve. I would be shopping else where.

Gee Jersey, maybe you were a crew member on one of my flights.

The point was not that I expected ANY special treatment whatsoever, but a little interaction would have been nice--and remembering a request for water would have been nice.

Doing the absolute minimum is a problem--and should be recognized as such.

Here's an idea, Jersey, take a trip on DL or CO and you'll see the difference....and it always wasn't this way...

Again I am not here to bash, just to make an observation....

Gee Jersey, maybe you were a crew member on one of my flights.

The point was not that I expected ANY special treatment whatsoever, but a little interaction would have been nice--and remembering a request for water would have been nice.

Doing the absolute minimum is a problem--and should be recognized as such.

Here's an idea, Jersey, take a trip on DL or CO and you'll see the difference....and it always wasn't this way...

Again I am not here to bash, just to make an observation....

When CO or DL go through contract talks you just might see some of the same issues. Especially when a company drags out contract negotiations for years on end. It gets so tiresome most of us really dont feel like doing anything which you exsperienced first hand. If you go eight years without a raise how high do you jump for your employer. They made me this way... ;)

It is unfortunate that the consumer must suffer

Sorry, Time, no sympathy from me on that point. If you are unhappy with your job, you should NEVER take it out on customers.

That is an invalid excuse for poor service, and is destructive, not constructive. If you're looking to get more money, you have to earn it.

I am not taking the company's side, here, and I am sure you have valid points on labor's side, but to treat customers badly just because you are angry at your company is just plain unacceptable--and it is self defeating. All you are doing is guaranteeing that customers won't come back--so where does the company get the money to give you a raise now?

I am NOT going to let the labor/company dispute hijack this thread....I was making a comparison between the service recieved on 3 airlines--nothing more.....

I hear what you are saying and if you want better service my advice is to jump ship at least until the labor problems are over. But flying that triple sure is nice I will be headed up in October and again in December just hope to get in First. ;)

Time,

Thank you for the honest reply.

We have to agree to disagree.

I don't have to jump ship--AA was the infrequent choice to begin with, however I will now decline to do a Plat Challenge, meaning AA will lose a good share of about $20K in air travel I have to do before year end....multiply me by the hundreds or possible thousands of business travelers who have had similar experiences and it adds up unfortunately...

For the record, I believe CO crews are in negotiation but you'd never know it in the cabin. With no disrespect intended, I think it is reprehensible for any employee to take his issues out on customers.

Oh -- and the 777 was very comfortable in the biz cabin...although the 763 front cabin seats are a little narrow....

<_< ------ My wife, and myself, flew up from the Carb. last week.-------- Flew into MIA, and because flights were full, spent the the night, and then on to MCI, via ORD the next morning. Our plane arrived on time at MIA, but found our gate was full. Sat on the ramp for half an hour until they reassigned us to a different gate. All the time it was raining. The attendants in first, where we were flying , were as was said, in the galley, talking to one of the attendants up from coach all the while. ------- Well, if I hadn't known better, I would have sworn that my "good ol buddy" FSC there at MIA know I was coming through and took care of us! Because after more than an hour the flight's bags finally showed up, and all were dripping wet!------ Now how they could have gotten even the cloths inside wet, I'll never know! But they were! And it was close to midnight before we got to the Hotel, with an early morning flight in the morning! ------- But that was just the start of good ol MIA!---------- The next day we flew to ORD, and on to MCI, we had three checked bags. One went to MCI via DFW, one made it through on our flights, and the third never left MIA until a day latter! All I could tell my wife was "Hey! it's Contract time!" No one could screw up that bad in "normal" times!!!-------- (Or could they!?) :unsure:

For the record, I believe CO crews are in negotiation but you'd never know it in the cabin. With no disrespect intended, I think it is reprehensible for any employee to take his issues out on customers.

I do believe you are correct CO is negitiating just dont know how long they have been at it. Good luck in your travels maybe I will bump into you on that MIA-JFK-MIA trip B)

Status
Not open for further replies.