Trip Report from a US Regular

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
I absolutely positively had to be in SEA yesterday by noon, and with the reservation system fiasco at US, I decided to give CO another try. Bottom line? 2 for 2 on outstanding trips.

1-JFK-IAH CO1027

I arrived at JFK at oh dark thirty (read 4:20AM) for the 5:30AM departure to IAH. I had checked in on line as I didn't know what to expect at JFK at that hour. This was my first time in or out of Terminal 4 at JFK.

Through security and off to the gate-no one home. I had been waitlisted for F on both outbound legs, and realistically did not expect to clear IAH-SEA, but it looked good for JFK-IAH. Finally the agent arrives, logs on, and grudgingly handles three questions or so from waiting customers. (I say grudgingly because a. it was JFK and b. it was before 5AM and I guess it showed). She was efficient and curt. I politely asked about the F waitlist, and she responded "No upgrades today--F checked in full" NEXT?

About 2 minutes later another agent arrives with paperwork. She tells the first agent that there are messages-customers have been upgraded and don't know it yet. I wait back and instead of bothering her again, I just go to board with the other elites. The lady is impressed that I actually cut off the top of the OLCI boarding pass, then says "Wait a minute"....looks at her list, crosses out 14A and says "you're in 1A". Better news was not to be had at 5AM. (Question--do they not announce gate upgrades or is it again just JFK?)

On board greeted by a delightful crew. Turns out there was no water loaded on board, and we were catered in F with coach carts--they get it straightened out and we're on our way. As we climb out, we are given our choice of breakfast--cereal or omelette. Now remember I am a US flyer, so I didn't expect much. LO and Behold, a few minutes later-hot towels! Followed by a fruit plate served on glass! With real utensils! Then hot biscuits (I thought I was either dreaming or transported back 10 years). A decent omelette, and constant attention from the crew--an outstanding experience to say the least.

2-IAH-SEA CO 1767

This was the one where I sort of knew the upgrade wasn't happening-I had hedged my bets and got exit row. The agent confirmed that it was not to be, and off I went to board with elites, and had a nice albeit long flight (5 hours) to SEA. Again there was a meal in COACH! On time arrival in SEA and off to the meeting I had to be there for.

3-SEA-IAH CO 760

The infamous red eye. Seemed somewhat full, checked in with an agent, who was very nice-and chatty, breezed through security, and went to the PC in B concourse. I was greeted by two very nice ladies, and we had a chat about the US fiasco and they said they had had some glitches in their res system but nothing like US had.

Off to the flight-had the same cabin crew I had coming out in the morning-we all did a double take-they asked me if I had flown out with them in the morning and I said yes.
A snack plate and a movie on a redeye--US says their customers don't want them--guess again. Actually slept a bit and early arrival in IAH, followed by the mile walk to the other terminal for the connection. Another PC right near this gate as well, greeted by yet another friendly agent, who offered any and all assistance but all was in order.

4-IAH-JFK CO1484

Another great crew--joking around with them as it was early in the morning--for them. More hot towels, and another meal served in courses. Go figure. On time arrival at JFK despite very heavy wind--a little bit of a roundabout routing but all well.

SUMMARY

CO appears to get it regarding premium customers--both full fare and frequent travelers. They are actively courting the business traveler, in contrast to some others.....

This is merely a statement of contrast...tomorrow back to US for JFK-LAS. We'll see how that goes.....

To CO-thanks for a great experience.

My best to you all.....

Art,

I had a great experience with CO last December flying LAX-IAH-PBI and back. Breakfast on the LAX-IAH leg along with a movie. Snack on the PBI-IAH leg, plus multile beverage runs on all legs. Great crews and staff as well.

The only downside I had was no moveable aisle armrest and the rear exit row did not recline.

I absolutely positively had to be in SEA yesterday by noon, and with the reservation system fiasco at US, I decided to give CO another try. Bottom line? 2 for 2 on outstanding trips.

This is merely a statement of contrast...tomorrow back to US for JFK-LAS. We'll see how that goes.....

To CO-thanks for a great experience.

My best to you all.....
Art,

Let's hear how the US trip compares. I think you'll have some interested readers.

Continental is a great airline. Service is great, nice employees, clean planes and meals. They do all this "extra" stuff for thier passengers and still make a profit. Go figure ;)

Glad you had a great experience on CO Art. Which happens to be my favorite airline. Their ad campaign is awesome too. The latest commercial has 2 FAs throwing all the things that LCCs don't offer anymore like pillows and food. A ramper catches some of the food and smiles! Awesome. Buy the book! From worst to first!