Trip Report PHL-LAX

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
I arrived at PHL 1 hr before flight 1421 on a saturday afternoon at 130pm. The check in hall was sparse and the security line at the B concourse was almost nonexistant. I went to the First Class self-check in line, quickly printed my boarding pass and waited for an agent to retrieve my baggage tag. There were a few other passengers also waiting for their tags, but nobody was manning the station. I looked down about 5 stations and noticed an agent standing there with no customers, looking straight out at the roadway in a slight daze, but we caught his attention and he came down to assist us, albeit with an indifferent attitude. He wasn't rude in any way, mind you, but he did not seem to mind that we were waiting there. So much for the automated kiosks. What good are they if you still need a human to process the baggage tag(s)??

My bag went into the big black hole at about 145pm and I proceeded up to the gate for an on-time departure. The terminal was bare. I love traveling on Saturday afternoons! In fact, the only gate with any crowd at all was B11 where my flight was to depart. Boarding commenced at 215pm and it was all very orderly. The flight was fully booked, although just the day before I checked on seatcounter.com and saw a lot of available classes with 7's in the buckets, including A and F. Then the morning of the flight they were all zero'd out. I boarded just at the end of the zone 1 call as the zone 2 pax were queing up.

I took my seat in row 3. While still on the ground, the FA came around and took our meal orders. I'm glad I was sitting there because I got the last Chicken/Bowtie pasta dish (she apologized to the next passenger in row 4 for only having the turkey/sausage calzone available). But with 14 more seats behind me, and the plane still on the ground with the door open, why didn't they go and ask for catering to get more of the Chx/Pasta meal? Why did they run out so quickly before they took orders from less than half the cabin??

Then we hear an announcement that basically says "would so-and-so please come forward. We need your seat so please exit the aircraft". I saw an individual get up in seat 1F. Don't know if they were an employee, improperly upgraded, or whatever. But why humiliate a passenger? Didn't the agent know the seat # of the person to just go quietly ask them to get up? I'm still scratching my head at why they took the person off, but I guess it could be for any number of reasons.

Out my window I could see a small gathering of baggage handlers hovering around the baggage door directly below me. One was passionately pointing and motioning his hands towards the baggage hull, as if to be scolding one of his colleagues. There was also still an entire cart of bags to load in, so it didn't appear we were going anywhere just yet. Then we heard an announcement advising that they are "still in an oversell situation" and needed one more passenger to give up their seat. In exchange, the announcement enthusiasm continued, the passenger was to get a wonderful free roundtrip flight within the US, Canada and Caribbean and would be put on the next PHL-LAX flight in less than 2 hours. Someone in the back rang the bell before the announcement could even finish. I wanted to advise this passenger that she should ask for a credit voucher since the RTFC is almost useless, considering the tight capacity controls. But she darted to the front faster than a jackrabbit, giving me no opportunity. Oh well...she'll soon learn.

The cabin doors were all secured at 256pm - 16 minutes behind schedule. Will the DOT record this flight as late, or was my watch a minute off and it will go in the books as on time? The safety video began anyway as the FA's handed out a single bottle of water to each F passenger. Push back was at 300pm on the button. We taxied out to runway 27L for an immediate departure. Once airborne, it was business as usual. The bag of peanuts/pretzels came about 25 minutes into the flight, along with my plastic, fraternity party size cup of Charonay. The Chicken with bowtie pasta dish came around 40 minutes into the flight with the plastic silverware. I've flown every other domestic airline in the last year or so and can't figure out why US is still using all plastic utensils. I have to say that while the presentation and food was pretty darn tasty, it was only lukewarm. I could smell them warming it up previously, so it would have been nice to have it within a minute or so out of the oven so I could eat it hot. But it was still good and I practically swallowed the plate.

The 2 FA's working our cabin were very good about keeping my pastic cup full and collecting the trays from people when they finished their meal. I didn't see any of them ever retreat to their seat to catch up on a book or gossip about the latest company rumors. The chocoloate cheesecake dessert and stawberry came around with good timing after I finished the meal, too. Throughout the flight the FAs didn't stop working the cabin once. I have nothing but kudos to their efforts.

The flight, despite pulling out of the gate about 20 minutes late, still arrive 20 minutes early. The Captain commented that the big storm system in the central part of the country really caused some crazy head/tail winds. We started out with them on the nose, then there were none, then they were on our tail. During this time of year, it's more common to have heavy headwinds on the East-West routes.

I give an A to the crew on board. They were great. I give a C to the in-flight services folks who sit in cubicles. Will you go back to the linens, glassware and silverware already?!? It totally cheapens the product when you bring it out on cafeteria style trays. I've heard that some of these things are coming back, but it's been 6 years since this stuff was pulled and the excuses of saving pennies are over when you made one of the higher net profits of any other last year.

PHL,

Thank you for an insightful trip report. I have started another thread in which I have added some catering cost information--which bears out your comments.

Another issue which is about to become a flash point for VFF's is the proposed reconfig of the A321, which is at best ill advised. I know there are comments pro and con, but the 321 can barely make a transcon as it is, and adding extra capacity to an already performance challenged aircraft is a mistake, and will add costs not covered by the projected increased revenue.

Also, the wholesale systemwide reduction of First Class Seating has to stop. Whether paid or upgraded, the first class cabin is a major incentive for high volume fliers to stay with US, even though the F product is a joke (I commend the crews who do so much with so little).
IF the 321 was being taken off of transcons and reassigned to high volume low profit routes, then I would have no problem with the reconfiguration as planned, and would agree with most of you flight crews who support the change. However, for us, it is another thing taken away, without anything given in return. Why not standardize the 757 cabin so everything forward of the #2 door is a premium cabin (16 Envoy or 20-24 F) like EVERY other major airline? Then the 757's could do transcons and overseas duty, a mission they are much better suited for.

The wholesale reduction in F seating will not be tolerated by many fliers, to whom the upgrade is very important, and they will just pick up and go elsewhere (it's already beginning). The likelihood of selling a F seat diminishes every day with the substandard product, and to deny a VERY loyal customer an upgrade by continuing to remove F seats while at the same time making coach even MORE uncomfortable will be a showstopper in my opinion.

That said, we look to have a DIALOG with the powers that be, and there are signs that this is happening.

We all want the same thing--a successful and profitable US Airways--I just think different groups have different ideas on how to achieve this goal, and in my opinion, there has to be some communication, and more importantly some compromise on both sides. So far, the VFF's have been doing all the giving, and we have received nothing in return.

My best to you all.....

PHL,

Thank you for an insightful trip report. I have started another thread in which I have added some catering cost information--which bears out your comments.

Another issue which is about to become a flash point for VFF's is the proposed reconfig of the A321, which is at best ill advised. I know there are comments pro and con, but the 321 can barely make a transcon as it is, and adding extra capacity to an already performance challenged aircraft is a mistake, and will add costs not covered by the projected increased revenue.

Also, the wholesale systemwide reduction of First Class Seating has to stop. Whether paid or upgraded, the first class cabin is a major incentive for high volume fliers to stay with US, even though the F product is a joke (I commend the crews who do so much with so little).
IF the 321 was being taken off of transcons and reassigned to high volume low profit routes, then I would have no problem with the reconfiguration as planned, and would agree with most of you flight crews who support the change. However, for us, it is another thing taken away, without anything given in return. Why not standardize the 757 cabin so everything forward of the #2 door is a premium cabin (16 Envoy or 20-24 F) like EVERY other major airline? Then the 757's could do transcons and overseas duty, a mission they are much better suited for.

The wholesale reduction in F seating will not be tolerated by many fliers, to whom the upgrade is very important, and they will just pick up and go elsewhere (it's already beginning). The likelihood of selling a F seat diminishes every day with the substandard product, and to deny a VERY loyal customer an upgrade by continuing to remove F seats while at the same time making coach even MORE uncomfortable will be a showstopper in my opinion.

That said, we look to have a DIALOG with the powers that be, and there are signs that this is happening.

We all want the same thing--a successful and profitable US Airways--I just think different groups have different ideas on how to achieve this goal, and in my opinion, there has to be some communication, and more importantly some compromise on both sides. So far, the VFF's have been doing all the giving, and we have received nothing in return.

My best to you all.....

On the US. west we serve glass , forks, china, etc in the 1st class. Never went to plastic there except, the pre daprture, and if the pax wants a glass of water in the last 5 min prior landing.

Hence, it is there, no need to bring it back.

Well on the side of the airline that generates the PROFIT the items of which you speak are non existant.

So hence when can those of US who generate the profit expect Gin & Tonic in a real GLASS with an actual friggin LIME!

Just in case you never noticed there is life outside of PHX and some of us have been walking fully erect for quite some time :D

Wow, you are pretty condescending and ingnorant. Some of us, have more culture than your pinhead can hold. As for me, I am from Europe, worked at very prestigeaous European airline, I have a post graduate degree, even though I live in and work in PHX. Hence, it is not always as it seems on the surface, even though you really despise everything which is out of PHX. Quite frankly, you are wrong, and you should use less generalisation. If you fly when I am working, you will get : double gin , tonic and fresh lime. We grow it here, next to you proverbial "trailor trash" as you so frequently refer to us here in PHX.

Well on the side of the airline that generates the PROFIT the items of which you speak are non existant.

So hence when can those of US who generate the profit expect Gin & Tonic in a real GLASS with an actual friggin LIME!

Just in case you never noticed there is life outside of PHX and some of us have been walking fully erect for quite some time :D
Received an email the other day from "Ask Inflight..."(I received a response after asking 3 times....) I am told reason the East glassware is not back yet is because they are not sure if it ever will come back.... Since we are "LCC", they are considering taking it off all of the domestic, including West flights. I wish I could find this email, but that is what the response was. Said nothing about Europe, and I'm too afraid to ask. :shock:

Lovely.

:down: :eek: :down: :down: It seems not much( service wise ) has changed at good O'l US-East. Why don't you give Tempe a call...voice your concern to them, its really wasted on here. I don't know WHY anobdy would fly F/C on them...it is neither first or class- it should be renamed LCC cabin (Low Class). There is NO excuse for no silverware or glassware. They are sitting somewhere in storage...oh cant they just get it together....very very sad and pathetic..... :huh:

They are not sure if it is coming back?

LCC in this case is Low Class Carrier.

That said, with the new dialog opening, they will hear about it...

Thanks for the info Itest,
I know. It is insane. I confirmed this later on with a catering rep in the crew room in CLT. The removal of domestic glassware is currently being discussed. This is why we have not seen it back on the East as of October 1st as planned. I am assuming Miss Shamblin is too scared to send out an email to her FA's explaining the delay; instead she'll hide. :up:

Art. I really hope that this 321 peformance issue is not going to be another 320 overhead mistake. I hope that they have thoroughly about the range issues with the increased capacity. All we need now are a bunch of flight to divert for fuel on the way to the West Coast to anger more of our loyal customers. I sure hope they have done their homework and the planes can make it with the extra people.

So much for the automated kiosks. What good are they if you still need a human to process the baggage tag(s)??
Because in a normal situation there can be several people using the kiosk and all the agent has to do is tag the bag and check id. When they are done with the first person someone else can come up to the kiosk and start so its a continuous cycle (if people would understand to walk up and not wait to be called, but thats another story). Instead of having to wait for someone to check in and then tag bags, etc, an agent can usually do 4-6 kiosks without much wait if there are no checkin problems.

The flight was fully booked, although just the day before I checked on seatcounter.com and saw a lot of available classes with 7's in the buckets, including A and F. Then the morning of the flight they were all zero'd out.
ORD and DFW were both having problems yesterday as well as IND. Many reroutes from AA/UA/NW is probably what helped fill it up. We got lots of people from them yesterday and today and after the continuing problems in ORD and IAD/DCA today we're now working on helping them get people out on Tues.

But with 14 more seats behind me, and the plane still on the ground with the door open, why didn't they go and ask for catering to get more of the Chx/Pasta meal? Why did they run out so quickly before they took orders from less than half the cabin??
Because they dont cater the flight full with both choices. They only offer a limited number of each. It would have been highly impossible to get catering to bring more of one kind of meal without taking a delay. Its often hard enough to get more things catered that are already on a truck running around the gate area, I cant imagine trying to get anything else from the catering kitchen on short notice.
Then we hear an announcement that basically says "would so-and-so please come forward. We need your seat so please exit the aircraft". I saw an individual get up in seat 1F. Don't know if they were an employee, improperly upgraded, or whatever. But why humiliate a passenger? Didn't the agent know the seat # of the person to just go quietly ask them to get up? I'm still scratching my head at why they took the person off, but I guess it could be for any number of reasons.
Based on your wording and comments below, it was probably a volunteer passenger. It could be that someone said, "go get so and so off the plane" and the agent who came down didnt know the seat number of the customer only their name. I dont understand why someone should be humiliated by being called off the plane?

Then we heard an announcement advising that they are "still in an oversell situation" and needed one more passenger to give up their seat. In exchange, the announcement enthusiasm continued, the passenger was to get a wonderful free roundtrip flight within the US, Canada and Caribbean and would be put on the next PHL-LAX flight in less than 2 hours. Someone in the back rang the bell before the announcement could even finish. I wanted to advise this passenger that she should ask for a credit voucher since the RTFC is almost useless, considering the tight capacity controls. But she darted to the front faster than a jackrabbit, giving me no opportunity. Oh well...she'll soon learn.
The RTFCs are now valid for either a free ticket in X (and they are still available if you are flexible and not traveling on a holiday) OR $200 off a ticket booked at the lowest fare, no capacity restrictions. (Amount varies by destination). Still a good deal for people who dont have a lot of money and do have a lot of time.