Trouble Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope777 said:
Looks like 17% Raise over Six and a half years is not enough.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040407/airlines_so...tendants_1.html
I have an idea! Beyond your post mentioning 17% raises. Please look at the last contracts! I make less than a F/A at the same seniority made in 1986! I want you to understand that the raise is at the back end of the contract. This does not help me now! This is a blatant use of negotiation times so that the Company can drag out negotiations and earn interest during negotiaqtions! Wy should my pay raise be less than the cost of inflation? In Addition, why should my work group only be offered less of a percentage raise than the other work groups's recent ratified new contracts?
Chris

good luck swa f/a's - when the lock-out or work strike occurs and you're not brought back, i do hope you're all able to find "industry leading" pay in your new professions. there are so many applicants to swa that would just "luv" to work for swa. too bad you-all picked a lousy job market to whine about pay issues. tisk, tisk. you might just get what you ask for - but it won't be with swa.

Thats crap. Stick to your guns. SW has the money and won't risk a strike for fear that they will look bad. SW can not afford to lose any ground to the other LLC's and a strike would not suit them well.

MiAAmi said:
Thats crap. Stick to your guns. SW has the money and won't risk a strike for fear that they will look bad. SW can not afford to lose any ground to the other LLC's and a strike would not suit them well.
Who said anything about a strike. IMHO, the company will lock out the FA's before they can have a chance to strike.

MiAAmi said:
And what? Shut the airline down for weeks? Yea right!
In case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of folks who wouldn't mind being hired as a Flight Attendant. I don't see them being shut down for "weeks".

mweiss said:
Just remember, once you eat the goose you stop getting the eggs...

:down:

mweiss, you'ved got to be out of your ever-loving mind!

It's obvious you have NOT done the math. A 17% raise over 6.5 years is a raise of only 2.6153846% (and so on) per year! Inflation is about 3% per year!

Southwest Airlines has $1,800,000,000.00 in HARD, COLD, CASH, on hand; IN THE BANK!!!

If asking for a pay raise that is More than what Flight Attendants made in 1986 and is MORE than inflation will kill the "Golden Goose"; than by golly, at this point I am ready, willing, and able to do so!

Obviously economics and finance are not your strong suite; as the $1.8 billion dollars in the bank will absolutely be way more than enough to keep from killing the goose. And, we are continuing to make money each and every quarter. And, after all; labor expenses are a part of the "cost of doing business"; which absolutely should financially be accounted for in the business model.

If the business model does not account for labor costs; then it needs to be changed as soon as practically possible!

I'm sorry if you and your family's skills, work, and future is worth equal to, or less than the cost of inflation; but MY SKILLS, WORK, AND EXPERIENCE NEVER WILL BE!

I refuse to be financially devalued or demeaned in this contract; as I know how top-notch an employee I am. And, I know the value I add to each and every flight; in order to keep my fine and worthy customers coming back to see me and Southwest Airlines.

I refuse to offer up the same value of service to my customers; that Southwest Airlines is offering up to their internal customers, ME!

Rant temporarily ended.

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Out in the real world, I haven't seen anybody get much more than a 3% raise per year for the past 10 years. A lot have taken cuts of much more than 3% though.

KCFlyer said:
In case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of folks who wouldn't mind being hired as a Flight Attendant. I don't see them being shut down for "weeks".
Unless, they're going to get several thousand flight attendants trained and certified in time for a strike, that is going to get tough.

This is where the unions have the airlines by balls. Virtually no airline work group - other than the ramp guys and maybe the ticket agents can be replaced without enduring significant headaches.

KCFlyer said:
How many f/a's at SW? How long do you think it takes for training? Besides AA tried this about 10 yrs ago, they failed.

MiAAmi said:
How many f/a's at SW? How long do you think it takes for training? Besides AA tried this about 10 yrs ago, they failed.
One has to wonder...does SWA really NEED all the new hires they've been bringing on board? I suppose if it comes down to being shut down by a strike, or being shut down by a lockout, the lockout would be much more preferable to the company. Something to think about.

ITRADE said:
Yout must not know many people.
Well...here in my town, the largest employer is a company called "Sprint". I used to work there. The pay was good, and the benefits were nothing to sneeze at. But even back then, raises were limited to 3%. Now, considering that Sprint has eliminated thousands of jobs, eliminated most pay raises, and implemented a "mandatory 50" hour work week from their salaried employees, I feel that I know enough people to who would love to see a 3% increase in their paycheck. Well, I knew enough people like that. When the largest employer in your city eliminates a lot of jobs and puts a lot of people with similar skill sets on the street, a lot of them have to move away to a place where they can actually get hired by a company.

Status
Not open for further replies.