Trouble In The Air - Marketplace Sends

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Trouble in the air

Marketplace sends message to US Airways: Change or die

"No business can bank on customer loyalty overcoming the lure of a better price. After all, N.C. textile workers are among the shoppers at Wal-Mart, a company that can offer lower prices because it buys goods produced by cheap labor overseas. There's no escaping the reality of the marketplace. US Airways must change or die."

Complete Story

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

yep, give'em rock bottom prices or perish! who give's a #### anymore? i can make more money overhaulin diesel engines on earth moving machinery than i can in aviation anymore. screw it my a&p is wortheless in this industry and the pilots have killed the goose. enjoy your cheap overhauled seat folks but this is one mechanic who will stay on the ground and travel the black top. at least when all hell breaks loose i can just hit the gravel and stick out my thumb!

What part of "The inescapable fact is that US Airways and other big carriers are tied to a business model that no longer works" is not true?

The angst and lack of optimism leads me (a passenger) to believe this place is doomed.... that's a shame IMO. :(

Folks need to stop focusing on labor costs as if it is the only way a company will survive. SW has the highest labor costs NOT U. Why do the papers get it wrong again and again.

DELTA lost $2 billion this quarter and they only have 1 union on the property...they gutted everyone else.

WE REPORTED A PROFIT...HOW DOES THAT TRANSLATE INTO DYING???

We are surviving and profitting. The Guy quoted in the CLT observer is reading too many comic books. :lol:

"The inescapable fact is that US Airways and other big carriers are tied to a business model that no longer works. Their costs are out of line with their competitors', and they're locked into situations that make it hard for them to change."

PitBull, I'll disagree with you just a bit here and let say why.

The above quote is pretty accurate. We do have a business model that no longer works - a traditional hub/spoke system that depends on feed from medium/small cities to support it.

Our costs are out of line with many of our competitors, not only the LCC's but also some of our bigger, more nimble legacy brethren. But costs doesn't have to necessarily mean labor costs. Our non-labor costs are more out of line with those LCC's than our labor costs. Our labor cost disadvantage to WN is a little over 1 cent per seat mile, but our non-labor cost disadvantage is nearly 3.5 cents per seat mile. If our non-labor gap had been the same as the labor gap, the second quarter would have produced a profit of about $300 million.

Jim

Jim,

Can you break down in simple terms for me what the non-labor costs are?

Thanks!

Dea

Dea,

I guess the short answer is no. I use the quarterly report for U, Inc (mainline, as opposed to U Group) with the catagories of expenses there.

I take U, Inc expenses and subtract employee costs and capacity purchases. I then divide that number by mainline ASM's to get our mainline non-labor CASM.

Repeat for WN (except they have no capacity purchases)

I haven't done this for the second quarter yet, so my post above is based on 1Q numbers.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the effort. I guess I'm seeing so many over-sell situations that end up costing money, misconnected bags (delivery costs money) and hearing from customers about being put up in hotels because of misconnects, I am just curious as to where those charges get logged.

My first take on is, poor management has caused it. Management sets the oversell per centage for certain flights; not allowing enough connect time in certain stations or being so worried about on-time performance, the last plane of the evening doesn't get held for late connects.

People aren't too impressed with vouchers when they miss their first day of their vacations or are late getting to the office.

From what I see, most employees bust their backsides to accommodate these situations, but there's so little that can be done.

I hope this kind of stuff doesn't get sloughed off to labor and it does end up a column that can let management know just how costly, money-wise as well as customer dissatifaction, it adds up to.

Dea

Dea,

I don't know where costs like that end up being reported. As you know, the quarterly reports have a handful of pretty specific catagories and the catchall "other".

By the way, I just looked at the 2Q numbers as described above and here's the scoop.

WN labor CASM 3.31 cents
US labor CASM 4.17 cents
Difference 0.86 cents (IIRC, it was 1.1 or 1.2 in 1Q)

WN non-labor CASM 4.78 cents
US non-labor CASM 7.08 cents
Difference 2.3 cents (IIRC, it was 3.4 or 3.5 in 1Q)

If US' non-labor CASM disadvantage had been only 0.86 cents, that would have been a reduction of 1.44 cents CASM. Multiplied by the 13,519,000,000 ASM's flown by mainline gives a total operating cost savings of $194,673,600, meaning our operating profit would have increased that much. Our actual operating profit was $83,000,000 (Group).

If our 2Q non-labor cost disadvantage had been the same as our labor cost disadvantage, our operating profit would have been $277,673,600. Group had non-operating "other" losses of $49,000,000, which would have resulted in our theoretical net profit being $228,673,600.

Anybody care to guess what our stock price would be if we had reported that as a net profit?

Jim

USA320Pilot,

I could not pull up the article you listed, could you repost?

Let me make a few comments on the "quote" you chose to post. I saw an interesting program last night about Walmart, and the effect is has on the communities its serves.

40% of walmart employees receive some type of government assistance. Food stamps, and medi-cal. One physician at a clinic in a community that Wal-mart serves was quite alarmed at the number of Walmart employees he was treating under the Medi-cal program. Walmart is one of the largest and most profitable companies in the country and 40% of those employees either do not qualify for medical insurance, or cannot afford the premiums that Walmart offers. The majority fall into the second catagory. One community is in a severe monetary crises as it has already blown through the money it receives to provide indigent medical services.

So, in essence, you and I as taxpayers are providing the "benefits" to the employees of this profitable company.

USAirways is asking some of their employee groups to take a significant reduction in hourly wages AND absorb a significant increase in medical costs, in some cases, wanting employees and retirees to go without medical insurance.

A sociologist on the program put it in perspective "This is the race to the bottom."

At what point do we all stick our heads out of the window and scream "I'm mad as **** and I'm not going to take it anymore!?"

livingontheedge,

I think this is the article you mean. The Charlotte Observer has gone to a free subscription online service.

Jim

Posted on Wed, Aug. 04, 2004

Trouble in the air

Marketplace sends message to US Airways: Change or die

Independence Air's launch this week of low-fare flights from Charlotte produces mixed feelings here.

US Airways and its predecessors have been important contributors to this region's economic growth. From Charlotte/Douglas International Airport, passengers have good access to almost anywhere -- but often at high prices permitted by lack of competition at US Airways' largest hub.

At some point high costs overcome old loyalties. That's why Charlotte fliers welcomed ATA's service to Chicago and now Independence's service to its hub at Washington Dulles.

The inescapable fact is that US Airways and other big carriers are tied to a business model that no longer works. Their costs are out of line with their competitors', and they're locked into situations that make it hard for them to change.

Yet low-fare airlines now compete for 70 percent of US Airways' revenues. The airline has to offer competitive prices or lose business. Neither choice is good. Losing passengers costs money, but so does selling tickets at prices that don't cover the cost of a flight.

US Airways problem is well-known: Its costs are the highest in the industry, far greater than those of its upstart competitors. One comparison found US Airways spending 10 cents to fly a seat a mile, not counting fuel, while Southwest and America West spend roughly 6 cents.

The company is trying to avoid a second bankruptcy by complying with the requirements of more than $700 million in federally backed loans. Executives say the airline can become a low-cost carrier if it can cut $1.5 billion from its annual costs, including $800 million in labor costs. They've set the end of September as a deadline for new labor cuts. CEO Bruce Lakefield, in a July 15 statement urging employees to cooperate, spoke the unpleasant truth: "Given our current cost structure, we can't preserve any jobs with any certainty, and we certainly cannot grow."

For our region, this isn't just a case study of an aging industry undergoing a rough but inevitable transition. US Airways employs nearly 6,000 workers here. They're our friends and neighbors, and they've taken big cuts already.

For them, the failure of US Airways would bring hardship. For Charlotte, the failure would mean disruption but not disaster. As Jerry Orr, aviation director at Charlotte/Douglas, has said, an efficiently run airport in a well-populated area will always attract airlines.

Many in our region are rooting for US Airways. But to make it, the airline must be competitive. Its employees will have to cooperate in the cost-cutting or take their chances in bankruptcy court.

No business can bank on customer loyalty overcoming the lure of a better price. After all, N.C. textile workers are among the shoppers at Wal-Mart, a company that can offer lower prices because it buys goods produced by cheap labor overseas. There's no escaping the reality of the marketplace. US Airways must change or die

Boeing Boy,

Thank you for posting the article. The journalist evidently did not check and recheck his numbers, they are JUST a little off.

I'm glad to hear that some of the communites that we serve and live in, recognize the huge sacrifices that our employees have already made.

As far as NC textile workers shopping in Walmart, because of job losses, wage cuts and the erosion of the average wages in Walmart communites, it is probably the only place they can afford.

Again, we are caught in the "race to the bottom."

Chin up everybody!

livingontheedge,

Thank you. "The race to the bottom" is happening quickly.

We all need to take a stand...and taking that hard line stand comes with risks....

That's how change occurs.

Latest posts