True Lies

The Truth

Nov 23, 2003
Dear Philly Pilots:

I have talked to lots of Pilots and Flight Attendants in the last few weeks and find that a great deal of disinformation to outright lies by the 2 Pit MEC and the 2 PHL MEC members and their loyal "koolaide Drinkers" have fostered on this employee group.

We are making a tremendous decision this week that will effect us and our families for a very long time. It is a shame that the lies and scare tactics used by these 4 MEC members along with people that don't believe you should have all the facts, just the ones that want you to have is nothing short of criminal.

Recently, a letter was posted on the ALPA Website titled, "A Concerned wife" by a Linda Vaughn. She is the wife of PIT Captain Jerry Vaughn. But more important, and the part she forgot (on purpose) to tell you is that Linda Vaughn is the Attorney that represents the pilots that are suing ALPA and, in turn all of us. She is the head of the "Vaughn Group."

So, why do you ask is that significant? Because this is the woman heading the group that includes Fred Freshwater, Dan Von Bargen and Ira Josephson and of course, her husband Jerry, along with about 40 other pilots here. It helps their case if this pilot group votes down the TA and this airline goes out of business.

How you ask? Well, if the company goes out of business, they intend to try to prove that the company went out of business anyway after we lost our Pensions and so ALPA is responsible for giving it away and it didn't help the company. In other words, if we go out of business, they might be able to win their case.

Of course, you and I will be unemployed, but hey, they intend to make money off that.

In the last MEC meeting in PIT, the only questions Dan Von Bargen asked of the attorneys and advisors was how this TA will effect his law suit against ALPA. Not how this TA, if voted in will help us and this company, or how much we lost because the agreement prior to bankruptcy (Sept 6 agreement) was blocked by he and the other 3 MEC Reps. No! Dan asked numerous questions about what if this TA was voted in and this company succeeds, how will that help or hurt his Law Suit against ALPA and us.

It was the unanimous opinion of the lawyers that his case was extremely weak and that there is no place in the law that makes provisions for the charges he has leveled against ALPA and us.

So, really the only chance he has to make sure he can collect money from ALPA and us is to insure that this company fails.

So, if you read how concerned Linda Vaughn is for all of us and if you have read the letter put out by Crocker, Van Bargen and Josephson, please understand that they don't care about the Airline Pilots Profession. They don't care about you and your families. What they do care about is winning their law suite against ALPA and us and if it requires making sure we all lose our jobs, so be it.

It's funny how they have lost the argument that the company doesn't need help, or in Dan Von Bargen's own words, "He doesn't see the urgency in any of this." They no longer argue that if we just wait longer to have an agreement, the company will cave in and we will get a better deal. Both of those arguments have been muted because the facts are too strong against them. NO ONE BELIEVES THEM ANY MORE!

Now the new tactic is they want us to fall on our swords so the Airline Pilot Profession will not be hurt by our trying to help ourselves. Of course, where was this worry about the Airline Pilots Profession when American imposed the "B Scale," or when Delta pilots allowed the best scope clause in the industry to make sure they had lots and lots of small jets. Where were the United Pilots when they were going to merge with US Airways and were going to put us all at the end of their seniority list or American when they merged with TWA? The list is endless....Eastern with Braniff Pilots, Delta with Pan Am pilots. Airtran pilots, Jet Blue Pilots and of course, Mesa Pilots, etc and all their work rules and pay.

But now, we are supposed to allow our company to fail so that the other Airline Pilots can prosper! I hate to be vulgar, but that takes Balls!

These RC4 Reps have tried to scare you with lies in the past about LOA 91 having a secret clause that allowed the company to lower the mainline fleet number. They recently lied about what this TA agreement has when they put out a paper on the comparisons between this TA and our current contract. Asked who wrote that paper and they denied knowing who put it out, even though they signed it.

Now, they are at it again.

Newest lies:

LIE: Fleet size will be lowered below 279.
TRUTH: The fleet size will increase by 2 (281) in February (two aircraft will have major overhaul deferred). Of course, if the company loses the aircraft by being forced to return aircraft, then there is nothing the company can do. (Lets insure that by voting "no.")

LIE: Furloughs.
TRUTH: The figures of 500 pilot furloughs was a figure given last year and with the retirements and the pilots that have left for good or are on leaves, the increase in flying and two more aircraft added, the company sees a pilot shortage.

LIE: Furloughs out of seniority.
TRUTH: That part of the TA means that any pilot furloughed can not bump MDA pilots out. This is so training costs there won't sky rocket. However, if there are no furloughs or if MDA increases, then this is a mute point.

LIE: The judge has only allowed a 4 month wage and work rule contract change and will restore our pay and work rules at the end or that the company will give us a better deal.
TRUTH: The advisors and attorneys have been right every time they have told us that the longer we wait the worse it will get. History has proven they
are correct. The longer we waited the worse it has gotten. Thank the RC4.
Against all advice and against common sense or even a small amount of business sense, they think that the closer the company gets to liquidation, the more they can give us. The company doesn't decide, the financial community decides.

LIE: The reason we lost so much in the September 6th offer or all the other offers since last June is because the other MEC members and other websites have undermined the RC4 efforts to get a better deal.
TRUTH: The attorneys and advisors that are far, far more knowledgeable then all the RC 4 put together along with Don Hollenboch has stated that we had
the best deal we could expect and the longer we took to sign it, the worse it
would get. They were proven right and the RC4 were proven wrong. Again.

So, to sum it all up, you have to decide. Do we give this place one last chance to make it, or do we pull the plug ourselves and all go look for work? Do we allow people that have lied to all of us repeatedly to win and prosper at our expense or do we finally tell the RC4 and their minions to 'go to hell' with their law suit?

The vote closes Oct 21st at 11:55pm. The vote will be counted by Oct. 22 at 10:00am. Shortly after that on Oct 22, the financial community will know whether this place really is a lost cause or that we are willing and able to work towards success. The company has a good plan for the future. I hope we give them a chance to implement it.

My opinion (and some facts),

Author deleted

TRUTH
vote it down and go into forced negotiations.force the companies hand.they can't keep coming back with offers that keep getting worse..its called negotiating in bad faith... :up:

Oh Barf! They are fighting for the pilot profession not lying down and letting the company walk all over them. This letter is typical of what is wrong with a lot of the pilot group. The "Wussification" of ALPA.

Author deleted? I have a pretty good idea who wrote it and I think he wants to be the one driving the vehicle pictured above.

Hysterical picture delldude!

All aboard the WUSSY WAGON! Don't forget to pick up the CWA!!!!

Grow a spine! There will massive furloughs. You will be stuck with this contract for a very long time and will have no one to blame but yourselves. It's not being imposed on you by a judge, you are doing it to yourselves. When the aircraft count goes down and the 20 year pilots are furloughed, the company will say, "quit your whinning, this is what you voted for" And they will be right. The business plan is flawed. Show me the numbers on how you are going to compete long term with LUV in PHL and every other low cost carrier in FLL. Do you think you will be the only one offering flights to the Caribbean? B6 has hundereds of more efficient jets on the way. I imagine they will do quite well on flights to the islands. Everywhere you go out of PHL will eventually be matched by LUV as they rapidly expand. (More than 40 aircraft in the next 2 years) Will these cuts bring the CASM below the LCC's. I think not. Will it increase the RASM. Sounds like 29.00 go fares are the plan. RASM will not exceed CASM at those levels. What about fuel? What is managements plan for that.? They are using U to break the airline industry unions. Once they have done that, they will fold the company and move on to other stronger carriers. You will be left holding the perverbial bag. Has management offered any vision, any possible scenario that will address these issues? No.
Come Oct 22nd the pilots will vote for the TA and the final spiral down will begin.

I still don't think they are doing it to break the unions like some great conspiracy financed by corporate America. I think they are stupid and desperate and don't have a clue on what else to do, the union breaking is a "effect" from all this. Jerry may indeed be smart but he is no Dr Evil here to destroy the America work force "starting " with U. Such thinking is a result from being abused too long and making ones thinking clouded. Besides, even if he was the mastermind union breaker, it wouldn't touch the trade unions or the miners unions where they still have balls and not pilots.

Bronner could give a crap about breaking the unions to move onto another carrier. I think after US he has had his fill of the airline industry, but he sees an opportunity to save as much of his investment as possible and get a financial uptick for Alabama in terms of air service and vendors.

Delldude,

Your not a pilot are you? Just as a lot of IAM people told USA320Pilot to keep his nose out of the IAM votes, shouldn't you let ALPA fight this out amongst themselves?

Cav,

A lot of people said that the likes of AS and HP couldn't compete with WN growing out West. HP has done very well considering they are fighting WN in both hubs (PHX and LAS) and a focus city (LAX). The plan is not $29 Go Fares. Will there be cheap fares, sure, there always are. We are talking fare rationization. WN also advertises $29 fares, but if you go to book a flight, often you can find other carriers are cheaper because the $29 fares are limited. It is about getting rid of $2000 walk up fares to the West Coast, $750 fares from CLT to LGA, and the like. No one is going to pay those fares to support anything.

Delldude,

Your not a pilot are you? Just as a lot of IAM people told USA320Pilot to keep his nose out of the IAM votes, shouldn't you let ALPA fight this out amongst themselves?
no i'm not....although i have flight simulator 2000 .
if you wish to interject and opine on IAM related matters,i do not care .....feel free and do so ....if i wish to add my opinion i will also do so.
like i've been saying...get some 'nads and show these clowns ....you'll do better in forced neg's...take it to the bank.....IAM is..
i wish you the best in your pursuit of an agreement.

628AU, you interject in all the unions and on US and you are not even employed at US anymore.

So if you took your own advice you would no longer post on here at all.

delldude,

Having nads is making the best choice in a myraid of terrible choices...something, IMHO you do not advocate.

If the RC4 would have had courage months ago, they would have presented the best choices to our pilot group even though it was unpopular...instead they were pathatic cowards who just said no, and want to blame it on someone else (and sue).

Now we will all have to pay the price for that kind of representation. Many of the fools that supported them understand now what a mistake that was.

We shall see what kind of "mandate" they have tomorrow. When this passes these *sses need to resign, and make way for representation that will make balanced choices going forward.

I do not expect you to see the world through the eyes of a pilot, you clearly are not one, have no pony in this race, and will not be attempting to find pilot employment afterward.

Just as PitBulll was whoafully incorrect in the 1113e exercise, you will see that when the pilots speak, GOOD SENSE will prevail.

I guess between 1/2 to 2/3 ratify the agreement.

delldude said:
no i'm not....although i have flight simulator 2000 .
if you wish to interject and opine on IAM related matters,i do not care .....feel free and do so ....if i wish to add my opinion i will also do so.
like i've been saying...get some 'nads and show these clowns ....you'll do better in forced neg's...take it to the bank.....IAM is..
i wish you the best in your pursuit of an agreement.
[post="192929"][/post]​

I do not expect you to see the world through the eyes of a pilot, you clearly are not one, have no pony in this race, and will not be attempting to find pilot employment afterward.
no but you look out your window and remember who just certified your a/c for safe flight...we work together.

Fleet Size? You are wrong about that..

Let me clear it up for you.

The fleet is already at 281.. Do the math.

There will be no increase in fleet size.

If anything there will be a reduction in fleet size.. That is why it was put
into all of the union contracts.. The company fully intends to reduce the fleet.

And if you want a fleet review here it goes:

9 A330

31 757

10 767

28 A321

24 A320

66 A319

69 737-300

44 737-400

Now can you add? My math takes me to 281..

So where is the company adding 2 aircraft?