Tsa Enforce Lighter Ban

The TSA said that after evaluating the security threat, congressional intent and operational considerations, it determined that passengers should be prohibited from carrying any lighter on their person or in carry-on luggage in the secure areas of airports or on board an airplane.

The policy will be fully enforced beginning April 14.

But the TSA is not prohibiting matches, at least not yet.

The TSA says it is considering banning matches, but will seek public comment before making any change.

CNN Article

Either the CNN Article is incorrect or TSA has not updated their web site as of yet.

TSA policy regarding lighters/matches

It gets sillier by the day.

Because of the "shoe bomber" we now must remove our shoes at the security check point.

A couple weeks ago, I was on a flight with a bunch of coughing and sneezing passengers. Half way through the flight I opened my bottle of water and dropped in an "airborne" tablet to ward off the germs. It's like an alka-seltzer and was efferesing (sp?). I realized passengers around me were staring wide eyed until I took a few swigs.

There are chemicals that react violently with water. Are we going to ban water too?

Is our fear encouraging the TSA?

A lady recently got through security wih a butcher knife. Is the money spent on TSA really worth it?

The TSA is a big joke !!!!

Since nobody knows what is bad or good they look at everything. Half of the TSA people seem dumb as a rock. They haven't got a clue. To this day most of the passengers pulled aside for secondary screening are over 75 years old. NOBODY IS GOING TO GET IN THE COCKPIT. What is with plastic knife wrapped in a napkin with a steel fork? Do they think a fork can't kill??? Let's be real here.

Sorry. A little off the subject.

Just think how much you could make selling lighters & matches outside the terminal.

You're not off topic. You're right on.

I think 9/11 is the ultimate security enhancement for the air system. The terrorists threw out the rule book that day. Anyone who attempts to hijack an aircraft will be jumped by all the passengers. It won't matter what kind of weapon they claim to have. Just assume you are going to die and try to kill them first.

Nobody is going to sit there and hope for the best after 9/11.

I have been guilty like the majority of people and often refer to TSA in a tongue-in-cheek manner. All kidding aside, these folks to include the agency itself have a hard task to accomplish. After the September 11th attacks, we the public demanded that our government make our air travel a virtual “Fort Knoxâ€. It is fair to ask for a level of security for our traveling needs. Those needs have shaped the automobile industry for decades (Crumple Zones, Air Bags, Mandatory Seat Belt laws, etc…), and have added to our sense of security while traveling on our roadways. The TSA has only been in operation for a few years. They had to pick up the pieces of a decentralized and uncoordinated security screening system that was in place. Yes, they have added their own hiccups and knee-jerk reactions to the operation, but they have made strides to lessen the discomfort to the public. I too miss the 20-minute counter-to-boarding days, but in everything there is a sacrifice.

Half way through the flight I opened my bottle of water and dropped in an "airborne" tablet to ward off the germs. It's like an alka-seltzer and was efferesing (sp?).

I would hope that the TSA screen for dangerous chemicals (even those that react with water) and not worry about “airborne†tablets or Alka-Seltzer.

To this day most of the passengers pulled aside for secondary screening are over 75 years old.

Where exactly did you get this information? This is the unfortunate power and glorification of the media. Do you seriously believe that out of the thousand of passengers that go through security on a daily basis, the elderly are pulled aside that often? Out of all the times I have gone through security I have seen an elderly person pulled to the side 3-4 times. Most of the secondary screening is done on 20-50somethings like myself. When the elderly or a nun does get chosen for screening the media pounces on it, take it twice around the dance floor, and call it good journalism. Me, I call it a waste of airtime.

NOBODY IS GOING TO GET IN THE COCKPIT.

That’s the kind of thinking that got us where we are today.

What is with plastic knife wrapped in a napkin with a steel fork? Do they think a fork can't kill??? Let's be real here.

I agree steel forks can be used as a weapon. I believe this is a compromise between security, and the airlines however. Some are still grumbling over the fact that airlines are using plastic-ware to serve wine, imagine if they take away the nice shiny fork too. :p

Just think how much you could make selling lighters & matches outside the terminal.

Oh and how I do hope that someone is smart enough to have little shops ready and waiting once you get past baggage claim. I don’t smoke, but the household-six does, and I’d pay big money after a 3 hour flight (not including time after security/waiting for boarding) when said better half realizes she can’t have a puff while I wait on bags. :D

WE ASKED FOR IT ALL RIGHT. :rolleyes:

We should have been more careful what we ask for.

I've seen the TSA virtually undress a paraplegic at LGA main terminal and rolled him to a corner after they were through to let him dress himself. His clothes were placed next to him in a heap.

Here in RDU, I saw them make a very elderly, obese woman with incredibly swollen ankles, remove her shoes for inspection and when through let her struggle to put them back on. Another passenger, who had a great deal more compassion than I or the TSA, helped her put her shoes back on.

We should have been more careful for what we asked for.

SilentWarrior said:
I too miss the 20-minute counter-to-boarding days, but in everything there is a sacrifice.
If I felt more confident that the increase in time is matched by a corresponding increase in security, I'd be much happier.

I would hope that the TSA screen for dangerous chemicals (even those that react with water) and not worry about “airborneâ€￾ tablets or Alka-Seltzer.
Case in point. They don't.

That’s the kind of thinking that got us where we are today.
Indeed. Particularly since getting into the cockpit, while more difficult than before, is still pretty easy.

I agree steel forks can be used as a weapon.
Plastic knives, too. Ball-point pens. Walking canes. Wine bottles. Need I go on?

I still think that no pilot will open the door. They can override the code for the door. They know that opening the door could and most likely would mean death.

I for one don't like giving up freedom. That is where we are headed.

I would worry more about who is overhauling the aircraft in some 3rd world country than the old couple going on vacation for their 50th aniversary. I don't think the proper background checks are being done.

Maintenance in 3rd world countries...That brings up more serious issues, doesn't it?

Remember when "unclaimed" bricks of cocaine were found in both Eastern and Panam jets during overhauls? They were allegedly placed there by south american nationals doing contract work for the airlines. How so easy and undetectable it would be to do something similar and more sinister in a hangar.

And the contract worker doesn't even have to be a full fledged terrorist. He could be someone with a debt to repay. Or someone just a little off kilter enough to be persuaded to do something bad. Or a person with a price that can be met.

And don't even get me started on the loss of skills this country will suffer, making us forever dependant on the armpits of the world. We're losing the ability to have the older teach the younger. The link is breaking. That is a bigger security threat.

Well the water just got a little murkier. The TSA wants to raise security fees paid by travelers US$3-$8. They (TSA) hope that this will raise US$1.5 billion per year. This will bring the total annual cost borne by airlines and passenger to US$4.1 billion. This is in addition to the US$300 million already being paid by the airlines today for security cost.

Airlines say passenger fees and taxes, which total about $50 of a typical $200 round-trip ticket, are inflating their ticket prices in a highly competitive environment. Carriers say higher ticket prices could scare off customers.
"It's clear that any substantial increase in the TSA fee would ultimately be eaten by the airlines," said William Warlick, senior credit analyst at Fitch Ratings.
Fare competition, record fuel prices and labor costs contributed to the $10 billion in industry losses last year.
"The security fee proposal would cost America West somewhere between $50 (million) and $55 million (annually)," said C.A. Howlett, senior vice president of public affairs at America West Airlines.
"This is at a time when we lost $50 million last quarter," Howlett said. "The timing couldn't be worse."

CNN Article

Latest posts

Back