Tulsa MD-80 "Pulse Line" Frozen

TWU informer

Veteran
Nov 4, 2003
Rumor has it that the MD-80 "Pulse Line" in Tulsa has suffered a set back. This is the management/twu brainchild to produce heavy "C" checks in 12 days.

Seems a huge rif between workers and union/management led to an extra large number of sick leave cases on Monday. Reports indicate 47% of the base sick calls came from the "Pulsa Line" and the schedule had a cog knocked loose.

Yes, you read correctly, it appears the workers are at odds with the union/management team. :shock:

The pee-brains forced high seniority mechanics to the "pulse line" instead of bidding and getting volunteers. Now the twu/management team strokes the work cards and manning into a sweat shop mentality and the workers revolt.

Carmine and Burchette are on a witch hunt, watch your back side.

Stay Tuned.....

What is the Pulse line?

The Pulse Line is a 4 Hangar bay operation where aircraft are moved from bay to bay like an assembly line during a heavy "C" check. Strict Schedule of work leaves no room for training, out-of-the ordinary repairs, and the mechanic does the same job function day in and day out.

The idea is produce a Heavy C out the door every 12 days.

Basically, it is a sweat shop assembly line mentality applied to a "C" Check Overhaul of Aircraft.

Someone went to the OEM facility, looked at their operation and decided that assembly line metalilty would work on a heavy "c" check aircraft overhaul.

They have pigeon holed mechanics and inspectors into single job function assignments. Took average hours for each job, manned to a minimum and crack the whip to stay on schedule. Seems the culture shock has created some hard feelings, and trouble with training, and there is no room for extra ordinary corrosion or repairs that are always around when re-manufacture or overhaul takes place.

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph"

For a base, manned by a majority of SPINELESS OKIE'S, the situation must have reached an ABSOLUTELY INTOLORABLE situation, for these guys to "grow a SACK" overnight. :shock: :shock:
NH/BB's

I understand your sentiment NH. But I feel that Tulsa AMTs always had a sack. There are many who have spoken out to protect and promote our craft there. burchette being one of the exceptions.

Perhaps this "awakening" will be a catalysis that will show Tulsa what we have been facing on the line. Do more with less, don't complain and thanks for the sacrifices. By the way Mr. Beer says thank you as he walks out the door.

The Pulse Line is a 4 Hangar bay operation where aircraft are moved from bay to bay like an assembly line during a heavy "C" check. Strict Schedule of work leaves no room for training, out-of-the ordinary repairs, and the mechanic does the same job function day in and day out.

The idea is produce a Heavy C out the door every 12 days.

Basically, it is a sweat shop assembly line mentality applied to a "C" Check Overhaul of Aircraft.

Someone went to the OEM facility, looked at their operation and decided that assembly line metalilty would work on a heavy "c" check aircraft overhaul.

Interesting. AA tells its customers the following about heavy maintenance:

Narrowbody "C" Checks

American does two types of "C" checks on its narrowbody planes. The first is a "Light C" check, which occurs approximately once a year. It requires approximately 2,100 man-hours and three days to accomplish. Every fourth "Light C" check becomes a "Heavy C" check. This check requires 20,000 - 30,000 man-hours and takes from three to five weeks to accomplish.

So AA is trying to cram what used to take 3 to 5 weeks into 12 days?

The real question is whether these "change for change sake" managers are still spending 20k to 30k man-hours or have they tried to slash the number of hours spent to accomplish the task? I'm guessing the latter. Sounds like a speed-up.

Funny,

I dont read the "trust management we are in bed together" drum beaters posting on this issue.

CIO, HSS, where are you?

So AA is trying to cram what used to take 3 to 5 weeks into 12 days?
Yea it should be real Interesting when these pulse line experiment heavy checks return in 18 months for a 3 day light check. I suspect the slip rate will go thru the roof!

I dont believe it...

But I believe it

It only took 15 years of getting porked now they decide to take a stand

I guess its better late then never

Come to think of it
I'm not feeling well either. ;)

<_< Excuse my ignorance here, but exactly what is the issue? It's great your taking a stand,but against what? Change? (I know I'm going to get blasted here!) ;)

<_< Excuse my ignorance here, but exactly what is the issue? It's great your taking a stand,but against what? Change? (I know I'm going to get blasted here!) ;)

It would be foolish for someone involved to be posting on this bulletin board.

We are simply reporting what has happened, not braggin that we are involved.

Who knows what "THE" issue is, my guess is there are far more than just ONE!