Twa Widebody Rumor!

Nov 2, 2003
A friend of mine who is at MCI, said that he heard from an AA 777 First Officer, that AA will bring 12 ex-TWA L1011s and 8 ex-TWA 747's out of retirement to start an all economy class, low cost carrier to be based in JFK! I assume it's to compete with JetBlue.

Markets will be JFK-SJU, JFK-FLL, JFK-MCO, JFK-TPA, JFK-PBI, JFK-OAK, JFK-LAX, JFK-LAS and JFK-SAN.

The name for the low cost carrier will be (tentatively) BlueForYou. Bids are supposed to begin in Feb. 2004, with service to commence on March 15, 2004.

Has anyone else heard of this rumor? I think it's bogus, but you never know with these things. :shock:

No No No, you've got it all wrong...AA is buying whats left of Pan Am 3.0,World Airways and US Airways and is going to rebrand the resulting hodge podge Pan American World Airways.

7AN is in the paint shop as we speak,getting the world famous "Blue Ball" livery applied.She'll be renamed the Clipper America. ;)

WELL I heard that the old aviation museum here in KC was repainting the "CONNIE" in AA livery.

A/C FIXER said:
I heard it was supposed to be 12 DC7s and 15 Electras, with the Flagship Knoxville from the C.R. Smith museum thrown in as a nostalga flight from LGA to ORD...
I hope that's not a bad mouth on the DC-3, and would that LGA-ORD flight be with 9 or 10 stops on the way?

My first airplane flight at age 12 (1957) was on a Southern Airways DC-3 from BHM to MEM. It's 275 miles by car. We landed at Tuscaloosa, AL, Meridian, MS, and Tupelo, MS before reaching Memphis. Total flight time was either 2.5 or 3.5 hours. We were served a bottled Coke and a package of chewing gum. I couldn't hear for 3 days because of all the landings and takeoffs in an unpressurized cabin, but I fell in love with flying as a means of transportation.

jimntx said:
I hope that's not a bad mouth on the DC-3, and would that LGA-ORD flight be with 9 or 10 stops on the way?
I realize you're being facetious, but for those who don't realize the enormous impact of the DC-3 on air transportation I'd like to state that the '3' could and did fly NYC-Chicago nonstop.
In fact, AA's very first DC-3 service in 1936 was between Newark and Midway. UAL's competing Boeing 247's had to stop at Cleveland, not having quite the range to make it nonstop.
The DC-3 also enabled AA to much improve it's transcontinental sleeper service, with only three stops eastbound (TUS, DAL, BNA) and four westbound (those three plus Washington) between LA and New York (which was actually Newark prior to LGA's 1939 opening).
A quantum improvement over the lumbering, slow, Curtiss Condors that they replaced!

mga707 said:
jimntx said:
I realize you're being facetious, but for those who don't realize the enormous impact of the DC-3 on air transportation I'd like to state that the '3' could and did fly NYC-Chicago nonstop.
In fact, AA's very first DC-3 service in 1936 was between Newark and Midway. UAL's competing Boeing 247's had to stop at Cleveland, not having quite the range to make it nonstop.
The DC-3 also enabled AA to much improve it's transcontinental sleeper service, with only three stops eastbound (TUS, DAL, BNA) and four westbound (those three plus Washington) between LA and New York (which was actually Newark prior to LGA's 1939 opening).
A quantum improvement over the lumbering, slow, Curtiss Condors that they replaced!
mga707------Did you forget TWA's DC-2???? (Trans Contenental and Western Airlines) B)

MCI transplant said:
mga707 said:
jimntx said:
mga707------Did you forget TWA's DC-2???? (Trans Contenental and Western Airlines) B)
Not at all--another revolutionary airliner for it's time (1934).
TWA's DC-2s did indeed fly nonstop between NY and Chicago, but AA, which also had them, always stopped in Detroit or Buffalo (or both) with theirs.

AviationGenius said:
Has anyone else heard of this rumor? I think it's bogus, but you never know with these things.
Speaking of things which are bogus, it looks as if AAplanesareold is back with a new name.

:down:

AHA! mga707. Do you know when AA started hourly Chicago-New York service? I do. And its only because I found a old newspaper that had the blurb mentioned in the business section. It was called "commutation" service or something.... :D

AAviator said:
AHA! mga707. Do you know when AA started hourly Chicago-New York service? I do. And its only because I found a old newspaper that had the blurb mentioned in the business section. It was called "commutation" service or something.... :D
AA started LGA-ORD "Jet Express" hourly service in, I believe, 1968. At that time they were running similar LGA-DCA and LGA-BOS "Jet Express" services. These latter two were attempting to compete with Eastern's "Air Shuttle", although they weren't quite the same kind of no reservation/pay your fare onboard/extra sections standing by services as EAL's.
The LGA-ORD "Jet Express" used 727s, unlike the other two that mainly used BAC-111s ("400 Astrojets").

They may have had a similar hourly service sometime much earlier, in the prop days. Is that what you are referring to?