Two retired USAirways pilots featured on the History Channel

PedroPat

Dec 4, 2005
The History Channel has a show on called "DOGFIGHTS". Last night I just happened to be watching and as I tune in I see being interviewed two former USAirways pilots that I use to fly with. Matt Connely and Steve Shoemaker both original PSA types.

The show chronicled the events over North Vietnam in May 1972. The US Navy was involved in the largest dogfight since WWll. The computer generated images and the narrative from Matt and Steve really bring home what it was like to be there.

Matt ended the day with two Migs shot down and the Navy Cross. Steve shot down one Mig and went on to be a US Navy Blue Angel. Both these guys were super cool to fly with and I'm sure they are enjoying retirement.

The show will repeat on Friday December 14 on" the History Channel" at 10:00 and 16:00EST.

Enjoy :up:

Matt ended the day with two Migs shot down and the Navy Cross. Steve shot down one Mig and went on to be a US Navy Blue Angel. Both these guys were super cool to fly with and I'm sure they are enjoying retirement.

The show will repeat on Friday December 14 on" the History Channel" at 10:00 and 16:00EST.

Enjoy :up:

Wow...never knew that Shoemaker was a PSA pilot. Growing up my parents gave my brother and me a two hour documentary film titled "Threshold." It followed the 1970 Blue Angel team and we must have watched it 500 times...seriously. Harley Hall was the team commander that season and he went on to have the tragic distinction of being the last Naval Aviator killed in Vietnam. Shoemaker was the lead solo in that 1970 season. I think he was replaced by Skip Umstead who was killed two years later when he and another Blue collided during arrival maneuvers at an airshow. I didn't know that Steve went on to get a Mig or that he flew for PSA. But with the hotpants and miniskirts and all in the cabin, plus being a former Blue, plus hanging it all out over the skies of North Vietnam, why not sail into the sunset at PSA? I can't imagine why any pilot wouldn't go to PSA, Southwest, Hughes Air West or the old Frontier back then. That's where all the good flying was.

Wow...never knew that Shoemaker was a PSA pilot. Growing up my parents gave my brother and me a two hour documentary film titled "Threshold." It followed the 1970 Blue Angel team and we must have watched it 500 times...seriously. Harley Hall was the team commander that season and he went on to have the tragic distinction of being the last Naval Aviator killed in Vietnam. Shoemaker was the lead solo in that 1970 season. I think he was replaced by Skip Umstead who was killed two years later when he and another Blue collided during arrival maneuvers at an airshow. I didn't know that Steve went on to get a Mig or that he flew for PSA. But with the hotpants and miniskirts and all in the cabin, plus being a former Blue, plus hanging it all out over the skies of North Vietnam, why not sail into the sunset at PSA? I can't imagine why any pilot wouldn't go to PSA, Southwest, Hughes Air West or the old Frontier back then. That's where all the good flying was.

Steve's as good as ya' can find for both a person and an aviator. He was always great to fly with, and/or receive training/checks from. In my observation = An amazingly modest man...he never spoke of the Migs unless seriously pressed,...mostly just about the Blues tour and what fun that was. Sigh..I do sorely miss "Catch Our Smile" PSA :lol:

I'm well pleased to see these gentlemen's relatively unsung accomplishments on America's behalf, properly made readilly accessable to the public...umm..despite their being Navy and all ;)