Twu Ad - Aa Gets Hit Again

L1011Ret

Veteran
Oct 31, 2002
TWU AD

American Airlines Departure Leaves Behind $Billions in Unclaimed Economic Baggage

Commitment ? What does it mean?

If you?re the largest airline in the free world, it?s your word - at least until it?s no longer convenient to keep it. But if you?re the community saddled with the costs of securing that commitment, it means thousands of lost jobs, $millions in misspent subsidies and forgone tax revenues, and $billions in unrealized economic activity in an area already
suffering a lackluster national economy. It also means a shredded air transportation system for a region needing first class service.

American Airlines ditches it commitment to the Bi-State region on November 1 when it pulls down nearly 75% of its large jet operations.

American Airlines? commitment to our U.S. Senators ? CANCELLED:

The airline assured concerned lawmakers before a US Senate hearing in February 2001, they would maintain good corporate citizenship in St. Louis by sustaining vital hub operations for the benefit of the Bi-State region.

But their idea of good corporate citizenship has far-reaching economic implications for the Bi-State region. American leaves behind a planeload of broken promises to area lawmakers, a stack of unpaid bills for the Big-State regions? taxpayers, and thousand more worked tossed onto the overburdened unemployment rolls.

American Airlines? hasty departure and reduced flight activity:

Jeopardizes a significant portion of the over $5 billion economic impact that the Lambert-St. Louis International Airport has on the region.
Makes the region a less attractive place to do business as companies looking to relocate or expand will bypass the St. Louis area. Local companies will find it harder to conduct business out of state.
Limits the number of single-flight destinations available to business and leisure travelers forcing them to endure less frequent, more expensive service on smaller, slower aircraft. Lambert-St. Louis International Airport originating are forced onto connecting flights at larger hubs like Dallas-Fort Worth and Chicago in order to reach current one
stop destinations.
Two thousand additional airline jobs gone by November 1, on top of the more than 5000 local jobs shed by American since October 2001 securing for Missouri the distinction of leading the nation in job loss for a third consecutive year. Those 2000 jobs ?will cost the St. Louis area 47,500 jobs over time according to economist Jan Brueckner of the
University of Illinois.

American Airlines Won?t Leave Empty Handed

They received over $840 million in US taxpayer-funded government relief thanks to The Air Transportation Safety and System Stabilization Act requiring them to maintain scheduled air sever to points served before September 11. 2001.

The Bi-State region pumped tens of millions of taxpayer dollars into American and its predecessor?s Lambert Airport hub over the last decade.

An airport expansion project of nearly $2 billion, undertaken, in large part, to ensure continued operation of the airlines? hub, that required the leveling of hundreds of homes in Bridgeton, MO. and dislocation of thousands of its residents.

Its employees sacrificed over $1.8 billion annually in pay and benefit cuts for the next 5 years (a commitment they can?t back out of) to stave off bankruptcy, sustain operations and prevent facility closures and even greater job loss.

American Airlines has to answer to the Bi-State region:

Two Great Airlines ? One Great Future? was American Airlines? promise when it purchased hometown carrier TWA in 2001. But, for the Bi-State area the reality is Two Great States ? One Enormous Economic Hole.

Residents of the Bi-State region, its businesses, and the airlines? employees deserve better. They?ve kept up their end of the bargain. American Airlines has to explain why it won?t uphold its end of the deal.

They need to start in Washington, D.C. where they first committed to Missouri?s US Senate lawmakers to maintaining the Lambert-St. Louis hub and adequate air service in the region.

If you don?t appreciate being left holding American?s financial baggage, please join the members of the TRANSPORT WORKERS UNION-LOCAL 529 in contacting your Senators in Washington, DC demanding they hold American Airlines accountable for bailing out on the Bi-State region. Ask them to immediately convene investigative hearings into the airlines? actions. Contact your U.S. Congressperson requesting their support for Missouri?s Senators Bond and Talent and Illinois? Senators Fitzgerald and
Durbin in this matter.

Got to give credit when credit is due. Good Job Local 529!

Boy will Jim Little be mad, next thing you know he will be removing your officers.

L1011Ret said:
The airline assured concerned lawmakers before a US Senate hearing in February 2001, they would maintain good corporate citizenship in St. Louis by sustaining vital hub operations for the benefit of the Bi-State region.
So in Feb 2001 AA made a commitment? Did everyone forget what happened in SEPT 2001? 3000 people dead, first attack on US since Panco Villa, airline industry and AA demolished and already people have moved on and forgotten. Nothing like living in Denial!

L1011Ret said:
Its employees sacrificed over $1.8 billion annually in pay and benefit cuts for the next 5 years (a commitment they can?t back out of) to stave off bankruptcy, sustain operations and prevent facility closures and even greater job loss.
Prevent facility closures? Stop making stuff up! Nobody ever said that. They did say that with a BK they would DEFINITLY close facilities!

According to reasonably reliable sources, this ad was in the Saint Louis Suburban Journal.

Prevent facility closures? Stop making stuff up! Nobody ever said that. They did say that with a BK they would DEFINITLY close facilities! [/quote]
There you have it! More than likely it was implied.

AAMECH are you International Rep Bobby Gless?

When I flew down to MCI to inform those guys why we were going to vote NO and hopefully convince them to do the same the issue of the base closure was their main arguement for voting YES.

One Rep said "They told us that if we voted this thing down that they would go BK and shut this base down".

I replied " OK, its a threat, maybe they will, but did they say that if you voted YES that they would keep it open? What they dont say is just as important as what they do say"

I argued that as long as the current contract was in effect that as long as there was any mechanic in the system with 3/1/01 Occ seniority anyone with an occ date with more than that was protected, regardles of system protection. By rolling back the date in the new contract it would expose TWA workers with as much as 20 years to being put out on the street.

I knew it was just a matter of time before we heard that no promises were made. If they do actually close it thats the same thing you will hear from Jim Little and the company."We never said they would NOT close the base". Accountability Jim Little and Art Luby style. No they did not lie, they just withheld the truth.

When I flew down to MCI to inform those guys why we were going to vote NO and hopefully convince them to do the same the issue of the base closure was their main arguement for voting YES.

Bob...truth be known..we kicked your a$$ back to your state of origin. Why would we listen to anyone that just disemboweled any resemblence of a unionist? Was the trip home premature? Or the trip here ?

Steve Connell said:

Bob...truth be known..we kicked your a$$ back to your state of origin. Why would we listen to anyone that just disemboweled any resemblence of a unionist? Was the trip home premature? Or the trip here ?
You didnt kick squat.

Even though there was at least 10 of you in the room to just the two of us. How many times did you guys ask us to leave before we did? We saw that you were all hysterical after hearing about UAL, there was no reasoning with you so we left. Your President drove us back to the terminal after one of your stewards drove us to his office, he was friendly enough. Actually everyone we met, with the exception of your hysterical E-Board was very friendly and receptive.

Yea we left early, since you guys would not recieve us, even after your President said OK, if he had said No we would not have come, but we did not plan on staying long anyway.

All in all it was still worth it because word got out on the floor. One thing it showed is that at least we still got b@!!$, unlike you.

So tell me, what in your opinion is a unionist? Let me guess;

-Someone who for twenty years votes away every thing that was fought for by the previous generation ?

-Someone who is willing to eat $#!+ and mumble under his breath about "living to fight (more like eat more $#!+) another day?

-Someone who talks like a bad a$$ as long as he is 1500 miles away?

-Come on, before AA bought TWA you were the lowest paid of all the majors and your company had one foot in the grave with another on a bananna peel. Tough guys, give me a break! Guys like you never saw a concession you did not like!

Bob,

Please excuse Steve, he is going through tough times lately because his reputation is one notch above Jim Little which aint saying much. His cronies are going to management everyday trying to stop the AMFA drive to no success. Thank you Tulsa for taking on AA in the past, the lawsuit is helping us here. We will get the cards despite Steves efforts. You got to understand one thing about Steve, he was too lazy to get his A&P so therefore he has no where to bump. It's not like the guy isn't qualified, just refuses to test.

Tough times? Possibly for you AMFABOY...I haven't faced a bit of confrontation from you or anyone else...why is that? I think we know the answer to that, don't we. You can bad mouth me all you want, that will not change my view of AMFA or it's reps or you. And I have cronies? I will go to management each and every time I find an AMFA organizer going against policy, you have a problem with that? Test the waters....by the way...still twilight...still bay 8...

and Bob..you are a unionist to me...someone that takes an oath to rep his union...then breaks that oath attempting to attain martyr status with his peers...you Bob...are my idea of a unionist....yeah right.

Steve is a typical yellow belly TWU rat.

:p WILL RUN TO MANAGEMENT IF PROVOKED! :p

TonyB..will I go to management...you bet...got a problem with that? If so..come see me ... by the way Tony..I don't need to be provoked to go to management...you want the TWU to walk the line..so will you...problemo?

Steve you should really get off of the OATH issue. If that were to be taken serious, all of us who served in the military would still be there and there would be no such thing as divorce.

And anyone who runs to management is far from a union man. Handle it on the floor and through your union.

Remeber AMFA is not a threat so why are you running to management because someone is expressing a different opinion.

Latest posts