Twu =insurance Company Or Union?

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
Well I just got another solicitation from Sonny Hall for STD.

They give away our 80 day IOD bank so they can try to rip us off with their BS insurance scam.

The 80 day IOD bank cost us nothing and could pay out a total of $22400 over 4 months.

Between the ages of 18-54 we would have to pay $265.20 per year for a plan that would only pay out $6000 if we were out of work for 8 or more months.

$0 for $22400 of coverage
$265.20/year for $6000 of coverage

Looks like another TWU AADVANTAGE!!!

As is typical from the TWU ATD much of the information given is misleading and incomplete.

For instance;

"One in three Americans will become disabled for at least 90 days before retirement age."

Ok, but how many could expect to be disabled over 100 days? How many for 8 months? Etc? Of those "one in three" how many are from Drug and alchohol or mental disorders that the plan only gives limited benifits. What are those "limited benifits"?

Of those "one out of three" how many are from physical disabilities? Human beings tend to heal quickly. People getting triple bypass surgery are often back to work in a matter of weeks, not months. Broken bones usually take around six weeks at most.

This plan pays out only after 30 days of disability or 60 sick days. So in order to see the full $6000 worth of coverage you would have to be disabled 8 months!

The two year or 24 month cap on rates started 17 months ago, June 1, 2002. So rates can go up in 7 months. Why would they say 24 months starting back then, were they hoping that most would just see 24 months? How would you like it if you were buying a car and the dealer said that you were getting a one year warranty that started 9 months ago? Isnt that really a three month warrantty?

According to the pitch "This program has paid more than $25,000,000 ,,, since 1990".
OK that $1.7 million a year, or $17 per TWU member. Less than one members one month of payroll deduction for the plan.

How much have they collected since 1990?

Once again, in typical TWU fashion Sonny Hall tries to sell us a deal of questionable value with a minimal amount of information.

By their own numbers there is at best only a 33% chance that you will ever see a penny from this plan. What are the chances that you will recover what you pay into the plan? They could only be less. The odds are that at $265.20 per year over the course of your career you would pay more into the plan than you could collect. Its like paying $10 for a Lottery ticket where the jackpot is $5.

While the odds for most insurance scams are that you will pay in more than you get out, usually the potential payout, even though its remote is is more than you would pay in. To pay $265/year for $6000 worth of coverage is not a good deal.

Why is it that most of the mail that I get from our union concerns sales, not services? Am I paying two hours pay per month to be put on their "sales" lists? Life insurance, LTD, STD, credit cards, I get enough of this crap for free!! Why am I paying two hous pay per month, in other words working for at least three hours per month to serve as a customer base for TWU sponsored insurance scams?

If only our union would put as much effort into getting us decent contracts instead of selling us insurance for coverage that they give away then maybe they would not have to worry about PAFCA, AMFA and the AGW.

We need a union, not an insurance broker!

Bob, you need to come to Tulsa dude!!!

Another freakin TWU Screw. This is getting very depressing, how much more is under the next rock???

I've worked with MEN injured on the job more than a "few" times.

If you want an eye opener:
http://www.specialriskservices.com/

These "People" have had the balls to attempt forcing Aircraft Maintenance Technicians back to work when their hands are broken and PINNED together AND while these MEN are on a PROSCRIBED INTOXICANTS.

These "People" have hired "Private Investigators" to sit outside Mechanics' homes with video cameras in an attempt to absolve AMR from the RESPONSIBILITY to care for their injured workers.

Over the last EIGHT YEARS, there has not been ONE SINGLE INSTANCE of this DAILY HARASSMENT BEING PROVED AS JUSTIFIED within my Station.

In the Interim, Good Employees have been denied LEGITIMATE MEDICAL TREATMENT that would return them BACK TO WORK.

Individuals are becoming impatient and are desiring a LEGAL RESOLUTION,,, do not allow SRS to drag US there....

Bob like all junk mail I just throw it away, it took about 30 seconds to understand the Insurance is not for me! but other members may see it as an alternative.

CIO did I just see you call TWU mailings "JUNKMAIL"? What's the matter CIO? Is the truth about the TWU starting to sink in? If you want to sign an AMFA card, just
ask anybody with an AMFA shirt on. They will gladly provide you one and even mail it for you.

Bob,
Your topic twu=insurance company or union ? the way it appears the twu is a Company union that sells insurance ! (and other services) We must not forget the wonderful twu credit card "brothers helping brothers". Which has a high rate of interest and when it first came out had no grace period. All they want to do is help folks. I was thinking, how about a twu lottery it can boast "we gave up the farm" but one lucky winner can hit it big and buy the farm. Fine print will say limited exclusions apply, 99% of fees collected will go towards program administration.

Actually the members have the choice to select or not select the different insurances or other programs that may be offered. At least we have a Union that has the power to offer these type of benifits.

Actually the members have the choice to select or not select the different insurances or other programs that may be offered. At least we have a Union that has the power to offer these type of benifits.

--------------------

Have a Safe and Happy Holiday Season from TWU Local 514

cio, I don't want a union that has the "power" to offer me types of benefits that I don't want or need. What I want my union to have the POWER to do is give me accountability, democracy and solid contract language called SCOPE! If the twu did what I wanted I would not have to "buy" insurance from them or get a great deal on a credit card. Once again you promote a dead horse. But that is to be expected.

CIO,

If we had a Union that actually had POWER:

1) We would have recieved a much better option set for concessions that the one we now are locked into. US Airways and the UAL Maint. & Related faced a widely different set of circumstances yet, those Union members chose OPTIONS which left the remaining Union Members with much more than we have.

2) We would be able to access the credit markets with a much lower interest rate on a carried balance; the TWU offered a Credit Card that carried a rate quoted at above 14%; thirty Year Mortgages carry a Six/ Sub-six rate.

Hey cio, You still have not answered my post as to why you are posting as a NW and a AA employee <_< . Just more of the industrial union lies!!!!!!!

Checking it Out said:
If we had a powerful union they would not negotiate away benefits and then try to sell them to their members!

How much power does it take for a union to be transformed into an insurance broker?

Do we normally have to pay an insurance broker two hours pay per month for offering us insurance that we do not want?

8% more and then we can get a real union!

Ok CIO i need TWU Help!
Is it power or junk mail? i am confused. Will you impart your wisdom on me please? I guess it could be the power in the junk mail? why else would the other infomercial scams run all night?(scamming)???? (good cash in them scams is why) ????Possibly TWU could run the insurance informercial for the uninformed at night ? Help me Please!!!!!!Teach me to see the light!!!Help im blinded by the concessions help!!!!!Common CIO teach me im begging you!!!!!!

Boomer said:
US Airways and the UAL Maint. & Related faced a widely different set of circumstances yet, those Union members chose OPTIONS which left the remaining Union Members with much more than we have.
USairways makes around $27.00 an hour but they "have much more than we have"? What crack pipe are you pulling on? If UAL also has "Much more than we have" why were they fighting to get the deal WE got?

USairways makes around $27.00 an hour but they "have much more than we have"? What crack pipe are you pulling on? If UAL also has "Much more than we have" why were they fighting to get the deal WE got? [/quote]
In all fairness USAIR should be compared to Eagle, or somewhere between Eagle and AA. They certainly are not the same as AA, UAL or Delta. However when you consider that they still get Holiday pay, all their vacation etc they make more than us.

I have no doubt that UAL was trying to get what AA was able to get from their Unions. The thing is UAL had to go BK to get some of the things that the TWU gave away at AA twenty years ago. Then after they went BK the TWU even further lowered the bar for all of Aviation.

Bob like all junk mail I just throw it away, it took about 30 seconds to understand the Insurance is not for me! but other members may see it as an alternative.

cio, you don't need insurance because as a twu international officer you are covered. As for understanding what junk mail is it seems as if it is taking you lomger than 30 seconds to realize that our current contract IS junk mail.

cio, gee, I get to select or not select different insurances or other programs that may be offered but I CAN NOT select or not select who I want for international positions because they are never offered. Now that is the POWER of the twu. Every time you open your mouth to defend/promote the twu you make yourself look like an enemy of our craft and class. But then that should not matter to you since you are NOT an A&P. After the twu gets kicked out of AA maybe you can get a job licking stamps for other unions junk mail. :D