Apr 3, 2003
July 14, 2003
Mr. Gerard Arpey
President & COO
American Airlines, Inc.
PO Box 619616 MD 5621
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
Dear Mr. Arpey:
On behalf of the Transport Workers Union, I strongly urge the Board of Directors to maintain our system-wide workforce at current staffing levels. Elimination or downsizing of Kansas City or St. Louis operations, or to otherwise downsize the system-wide workforce would be a complete breach of faith by Management.
For American to recover from its current perilous situation and to thrive in the future, Management must have the trust of its unionized workforce. That trust was sorely tested during our recent negotiations. In spite of obvious lack of transparency on a number of important issues, AA’s unionized employees did the right thing. They shouldered their fair share of the burden and saved American. But they did so with a clear understanding—that Management would reciprocate by doing everything possible to ensure their future with the airline. To downsize operations without absolute and irrefutable justification to our membership would be an especially cynical violation of this understanding.
The impact on downsizing was discussed in the reorganization meetings and active engagement meetings, and at no time was the downsizing of St. Louis or Kansas City discussed. We discussed that a reduction in staffing beyond our reorganization agreement would be unjustifiable because it is not essential to American’s long-term survival. The size of the current workforce is the minimum necessary for safe and efficient maintenance and servicing of your aircraft, equipment, and facilities. Furthermore, the savings American accrued most recently through the sacrifices unionized employees made in their revised contracts are substantial and we believe are more than adequate. Nothing has changed since these agreements were reached that would justify major layoffs, especially since the TWU represented workforce is highly productive—at the Kansas City and St. Louis facilities, and throughout the system.
To betray hard-working employees who have gone the last mile to demonstrate their loyalty and commitment to American is ethically wrong. Don’t do it! Work with us instead on the collaborative basis you promised when we reached the agreements that saved this company. Together, we can build a strong and prosperous airline. Apart, we are bound to fail.
If you have questions about the issues I have raised, I would welcome the opportunity to address them.
Sincerely,

James C. Little
Director Air Transport Division
Intl. Administrative Vice President
cc: Richard Gephardt
Sonny Hall
Jeff Brundage
Ed Wytkind
ATD-Staff
AA/TWU-Presidents
Art Luby, ESQ
David Rosen, ESQ

Thanks to the TWU and Jim Little they are putting AA on Notice, to keep their promise during the last Negotiations not to eliminate more jobs at AA. We all need to show are support. This will not only effect the TWU Members but all Employees and Passengers.

Union and Employee Solidarity at AA will go along way!
Thanks for Your Time!

You are just too much!

You had the former TWAers suing AA about furloughs, getting a hearing in Congress to tell the world how mean AA was to you and now you are applauding Jim Little for "urging" Arpey not to close or downsize STL and MCI!

This is just too funny.

LITTLE ONLY CARES ABOUT THE UNION DUES THAT WILL BE LOST! NOT THE LIVES ATTACHED TO THEM!

GET REAL!

----------------
On 7/16/2003 5:58:15 AM Checking it Out wrote:

July 14, 2003
Mr. Gerard Arpey
President & COO
American Airlines, Inc.
PO Box 619616 MD 5621
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
Dear Mr. Arpey:
On behalf of the Transport Workers Union, I strongly urge the Board of Directors to maintain our system-wide workforce at current staffing levels. Elimination or downsizing of Kansas City or St. Louis operations, or to otherwise downsize the system-wide workforce would be a complete breach of faith by Management.
For American to recover from its current perilous situation and to thrive in the future, Management must have the trust of its unionized workforce. That trust was sorely tested during our recent negotiations. In spite of obvious lack of transparency on a number of important issues, AA’s unionized employees did the right thing. They shouldered their fair share of the burden and saved American. But they did so with a clear understandingâ€â€that Management would reciprocate by doing everything possible to ensure their future with the airline. To downsize operations without absolute and irrefutable justification to our membership would be an especially cynical violation of this understanding.
The impact on downsizing was discussed in the reorganization meetings and active engagement meetings, and at no time was the downsizing of St. Louis or Kansas City discussed. We discussed that a reduction in staffing beyond our reorganization agreement would be unjustifiable because it is not essential to American’s long-term survival. The size of the current workforce is the minimum necessary for safe and efficient maintenance and servicing of your aircraft, equipment, and facilities. Furthermore, the savings American accrued most recently through the sacrifices unionized employees made in their revised contracts are substantial and we believe are more than adequate. Nothing has changed since these agreements were reached that would justify major layoffs, especially since the TWU represented workforce is highly productiveâ€â€at the Kansas City and St. Louis facilities, and throughout the system.
To betray hard-working employees who have gone the last mile to demonstrate their loyalty and commitment to American is ethically wrong. Don’t do it! Work with us instead on the collaborative basis you promised when we reached the agreements that saved this company. Together, we can build a strong and prosperous airline. Apart, we are bound to fail.
If you have questions about the issues I have raised, I would welcome the opportunity to address them.
Sincerely,

James C. Little
Director Air Transport Division
Intl. Administrative Vice President
cc: Richard Gephardt
Sonny Hall
Jeff Brundage
Ed Wytkind
ATD-Staff
AA/TWU-Presidents
Art Luby, ESQ
David Rosen, ESQ

Thanks to the TWU and Jim Little they are putting AA on Notice, to keep their promise during the last Negotiations not to eliminate more jobs at AA. We all need to show are support. This will not only effect the TWU Members but all Employees and Passengers.

Union and Employee Solidarity at AA will go along way!
Thanks for Your Time!

----------------​
Are you living on the earth? Twu turns its back while AA breaks the contract. TWU does not even follow there own constitution. They sell the mechanics out with the company giving the company whatever they want to the upper level management can take care of themselves well. When are you going to get the picture.

July 15, 2003

James C. Little
International Vice President
Director, Air Transport division
Transport Workers Union of America
DFW Field Office
1791 Hurstview Drive
Hurst, Texas

Dear Mr. Little:

I am writing to express my strong support for the work that you and the Transport Workers Union (TWU) are carrying out on behalf of the employees of American Airlines.

As you are well aware, the financial weakness of many air carriers, including American Airlines, has forced many to make drastic cuts in personnel and service. I have worked in the months and years following the events of 9/11 to pass legislation to offer federal assistance for these carriers, and reduce the risk of bankruptcies or closures. Unfortunately, this assistance was not enough in the face of an economy that is in its third straight year of decline.

American Airlines is among those carriers working to avoid filing for bankruptcy. After what can only be described as a rocky start, the company and its employees agreed to concessions to allow American to avoid bankruptcy, and continue its day-to-day operations. I applaud the courage of the men and women of TWU in agreeing to put their jobs and livelihoods on the line to ensure the viability of American Airlines.

I can assure you that in every conversation I have with American Airlines, on every matter of interest to them, I am advocating for the continued strength in the company’s Missouri operations – particularly Kansas City and my hometown of St. Louis. These are some of the hardest workingmen and women I have met, and their enthusiasm – and jobs – need to be recognized by the company as a key factor in the company’s future growth.

Last week, I wrote American’s CEO to express these views directly. A copy of that letter is attached. I stand side-by-side with the TWU in its efforts on behalf of American’s employees, and look forward to our continued work together in the months and years to come.

Sincerely,

Richard A. Gephardt
Member of Congress

Enclosure
Cc: Sonny Hall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 7, 2003

Gerard J. Arpey
President and Chief Executive Officer
American Airlines
4333 Amon Carter Blvd. – MD 5621
Fort Worth, Texas 76155

Dear Mr. Arpey:

I am writing in response to the press accounts of American Airlines’ restructuring plans, and the negative impact these plans would have on the company’s St. Louis operations. I am greatly concerned that these rumors, if accurate, would injure both the St. Louis community and a significant base of operations.

I am proud of the successful efforts I have led in Congress on behalf of TWA and American Airlines. However, the future growth and development of American Airlines is largely in the hands of your employees, particularly in the St. Louis region. These dedicated men and women deserve every consideration, and I will continue to do everything in my power on their behalf.

The reported accounts of your restructuring, if true, paint a stark picture for the future of American’s presence in St. Louis. Clearly, American must develop a management and corporate structure that ensures the future success of the merged corporation: St. Louis’ success is dependent on the overall success of the corporation. But, American’s future success is also dependent on the strength, quality, and spirit of the St. Louis employees who continue to provide quality service to American Airlines.

I stand ready and willing to work with you to minimize the impact of any restructuring plan on the company’s St. Louis operations. The continued presence of American in St. Louis can result in great days ahead for the people of St. Louis, American Airlines and our nation’s airline industry. The St. Louis community and I look forward to making that a reality.

Sincerely,

Richard A. Gephardt
Member of Congress

To workingman and hopeful, get over it! the courts have ruled on both issues you are talking about. All you two are doing is attempting to stir the pot! This is a major issue to our livelyhoods. you can be negative for the rest of your lives or move forward. What has happen is terrible but you have two avenues you can take!

Stand up and continue forward with your life or set in front of the computer voice your objections and do nothing. The first one takes courage. What shall it be?

We all stood together to make AA stay out of BK except for a few CEO''s
We need to say to AA this is enough! look at NW or United Members who have been liad off and the rest are expecting someone else to fight the fight. That is the difference at AA, we are willing to survive and do what it takes!

UNION SOLIDARITY!

----------------
On 7/16/2003 7:34:28 PM Checking it Out wrote:

To workingman and hopeful, get over it! the courts have ruled on both issues you are talking about. All you two are doing is attempting to stir the pot! This is a major issue to our livelyhoods. you can be negative for the rest of your lives or move forward. What has happen is terrible but you have two avenues you can take!

Stand up and continue forward with your life or set in front of the computer voice your objections and do nothing. The first one takes courage. What shall it be?

We all stood together to make AA stay out of BK except for a few CEO's
We need to say to AA this is enough! look at NW or United Members who have been liad off and the rest are expecting someone else to fight the fight. That is the difference at AA, we are willing to survive and do what it takes!

UNION SOLIDARITY!

----------------​
Get over it, it hasn't even started. There is no court that ruled on AA hiring off the street at one station, while TWA mechanics were laid off else where in the system. The NLB has not been told about the TWU not following their constitution that states SECTION 1--
under GRIEVANCES--"Filing Complaints: Any member of a Local Union or the section of a Local Union where sections are established, feeling that he/she has been unjustly dealt with by the employer or the employer's agents, shall file with the Local Union or section or such officer as may be designated, his/her complaint, the form for which shall be furnished by the Local Union." Now what part of that don't you understand.
In the contract which ALL REPEAT ALL laid off mechanics either AA or TWA fall under have a right to a position over a new hire. What part of that do you not understand. There is also something funny going on when the local union reps or the local union will not be given a master seniority list of the mechanics which would include all laid off mechanics. What are the people in Dallas covering up.

I do not think Judge Walch was talking about AA pulling all the stuff that they have when he stated "the requirement that a purchaser act in good faith...speaks to the integrity of his conduct in the course of the sale proceedings." Does the Assest Purchase Agreement sound like something you heard of?

Please Mr. Arpey, we have NO contract language to protect those folks at STL and MCI, Please dont screw them, please, please,please.

"Working to save jobs my ass"

KSDK) -- American Airlines plans to shrink its St. Louis hub has many long time TWA employees frustrated after what they call yet another blow and an unfulfilled promise of job security.

Most of the workers are represented by the Transport Workers Union of America Local 529. They expect to lose around 1,300 members after the cuts go into effect November 1, 2003.

Overall, 1,666 workers in various airport and maintenance positions are expected to be cut according to figures released by TWU.

Tell us more lies CIO!

To CIO and other low seniority AA folks:

Dispute No. 5--
The occupational seniority awarded former TWA LLC employees by virtue of the seniority integration Award does apply in layoff situation...

Better look at the seniority the folks have at STL and MCI they have a bunch and knowing the spunk that they now have they will get you so let the bumping begin.

By the end of 2003 MCI will close.

Then we will see who whines.

Maybe they will think AMFA will save them from the TWA folks that will bump them out.

----------------
On 7/17/2003 12:17:13 PM Workingman wrote:

Dispute No. 5--
The occupational seniority awarded former TWA LLC employees by virtue of the seniority integration Award does apply in layoff situation...

Better look at the seniority the folks have at STL and MCI they have a bunch and knowing the spunk that they now have they will get you so let the bumping begin.

Maybe they will think AMFA will save them from the TWA folks that will bump them out.

----------------​
How can you blame AMFA when they are not even on the property? It will be the TWU that determines the seniority.

----------------
On 7/17/2003 12:25:39 PM Buck wrote:

----------------

Dispute No. 5--

----------------​
How can you blame AMFA when they are not even on the property? It will be the TWU that determines the seniority.

----------------​
Buck, For all us TWAer''s who are unaware of Dispute #5, Could you expond on it for us??

----------------
On 7/17/2003 1:36:26 PM MCI transplant wrote:

----------------

----------------

Dispute No. 5--

----------------​

----------------​
Buck, For all us TWAer''s who are unaware of Dispute #5, Could you expond on it for us??

----------------​

Dispute No. 5:
For what purposes may a TWA employee exercise his occupational seniority whether it be 25% or 100%?

DRC Decision No. 5:
The original Seniority Integration Opinion and Award stated that the 25% occupational seniority provided former TWA LLC employees in some cities based on TWA service could be used for purposes of "bidding and advancement." The Award did not specifically deal with the issue of whether this seniority also applied in cases of layoff and, at the time the Award was issued, this was not an identified issue because AA was, in fact, recalling personnel. Unfortunately, given the losses and resulting contractions being experienced throughout the industry, this question must now be resolved.
Two points must be made in analyzing this issue. First, under the TWU/AA collective bargaining agreement, occupational seniority is applied for layoffs. There is an obvious presumption against denying any group of employees normal application of their occupational seniority under the agreement and the Award.
Second, the basis for the original Award of occupational seniority for former TWA LLC employees beyond April 10, 2001 at some cities was recognition of the fact that the acquisition of TWA by AA and its integration into AA created work and work opportunities at these cities which did not exist prior to the transaction. During the period in which TWA LLC existed, its operations in many cities were drawn down and replaced by AA operations with a consequent layoff of TWA LLC employees and increase in AA staffing. At integration, all TWA LLC work became subject to the AA contract. TWA LLC employees needed to handle such work were brought over, but only in numbers and status that could be justified under AA''s staffing criteria. The ultimate result of all of the above developments was a significant increase in AA employment levels in a number of cities.
The Seniority Integration Opinion and Award stated that the enabling language in the TWU/AA contract was intended to ". . . ensure that the

acquisition and seniority integration process did not deprive American''s TWU-represented employees of work opportunities they could legitimately expect . . ." but did not "guarantee for [such employees] that there would be additional work opportunities . . . nor does the language dictate that American''s TWU-represented employees benefit at the expense of the IAM-represented workforce." Discriminating against former TWA LLC employees by denying them (and only them) application of occupational seniority in layoff situations would allow AA employees to benefit at the expense of former TWA LLC employees. Former TWA LLC employees would be among the first to be bumped out of a station, in lieu of more junior AA employees notwithstanding that, in the absence of the additional jobs brought by the integration, such employees may well have suffered layoff in the contraction. This result is clearly inequitable and not required by the contract. For this reason, the occupational seniority awarded former TWA LLC employees by virtue of the seniority integration Award does apply in layoff situations. The following will clarify how that occupational seniority will apply in the furlough process under the TWU/AA agreement.

Selection for Furlough

Under the TWU/AA agreement, selection for furlough is based on occupational seniority in a classification when headcount in a classification is reduced at a location. Therefore, the occupational seniority under the Award which a former TWA LLC employee has at his location will be used in identifying the junior employees in the classification at a location. At STL and MCI that will be 100% of TWA seniority, at the "10% cities" (where AA employees in the classification have been recalled from a furlough that occurred prior to the April 29, 2002 Award) that will be 25% of TWA seniority, and at other locations 4/10/2001.

System Displacement

Once a junior employee at a location is given a furlough notice, he has the opportunity to displace junior employees on a systemwide basis as identified by the juniority list. Operation of the juniority list is intended to identify those junior employees sytemwide who can be displaced by the furloughed employee through normal operation of occupational seniority. However, because former TWA LLC employees’ occupational seniority varies from location to location (i.e.- 4/10/2001 and 25% and 100%), the juniority list must be constructed to account for this fact.
As stated above, the DRC is unwilling to create new restrictions on use of occupational seniority applicable only to former TWA LLC employees. On the other hand, the contract already has a significant restriction on application of occupational seniority -- a system protected employee may not be "bumped" in a system displacement. Because the vast majority of TWU-represented AA

employees have occupational seniority dates prior to 3/1/2001, they are system protected under the TWU/AA collective bargaining agreement. No former TWA LLC employee is system protected. For this reason, the occupational seniority provided former TWA LLC employees by virtue of the Seniority Integration Opinion and Award is of limited use to such employees in competing with system protected AA employees in a system displacement.
In recognition of the above problems, the "juniority" list shall be constructed within each classification subject to furlough in the following fashion. All unprotected employees – all AA employees hired after 3/1/2001 and all former TWA LLC employees – shall be placed on the list in reverse seniority order as determined by their occupational seniority under the Seniority Integration Opinion and Award. For former TWA LLC employees their occupational seniority for placement on the list shall be the occupational seniority they are exercising at their location at the time the juniority list is constructed, i.e. – 100% of TWA seniority, or 25% of TWA seniority, or 4/10/2001, depending on location. The AA employees hired after 3/1/2001 shall be blended with the former TWA LLC employees according to the AA employees’ occupational seniority.
This juniority list will be used solely for identifying the unprotected positions to which a furloughed employee (AA or former TWA LLC) may exercise his occupational seniority to displace a junior employee. With respect to the actual displacement of any employee on the juniority list, a comparison between the two employees of the occupational seniority at the location under the Award will determine whether the displacement can, in fact, occur. Junior employees displaced will similarly use their occupational seniority under the Award in determining their options under the TWU/AA agreement.
A furloughed former TWA LLC employee may exercise the occupational seniority he would hold at a location under the 25% or 100% or 4/10/2001 formula in displacing an employee on the juniority list. In addition to the normal operation of the juniority list, furloughed or displaced former TWA LLC employees will be afforded the additional opportunity to displace junior employees at STL and/or MCI.

Recall

The April 29, 2002 Opinion and Award restricted former TWA LLC employees from exercising the 25% occupational seniority provided them in "10% cities" for purposes of bidding or recall until all AA employees with recall rights to that city had either returned or refused recall. Consistent with this ruling, in the event AA employees are laid off in a city in which 25%

seniority has been recognized, former TWA LLC employees with recall rights to that city based solely on pre-integration service (pre-April 29, 2002) may not exercise such recall until all AA employees have been recalled in the classification at that location. However, former TWA LLC employees who have been recalled to such a station may exercise their 25% seniority for purposes of recall in the event they are furloughed.

----------------

How can you blame AMFA when they are not even on the property?
----------------
And you can bet that AMFA is breathing a sigh of relief that they AREN''T on the property during this time....

----------------
On 7/17/2003 2:03:56 PM KCFlyer wrote:

----------------

How can you blame AMFA when they are not even on the property?
----------------
And you can bet that AMFA is breathing a sigh of relief that they AREN''T on the property during this time....
----------------
You would know, wouldn''t you Jim?

----------------
On 7/17/2003 9:45:25 PM RV4 wrote:

You would know, wouldn''t you Jim?

----------------​
Don''t know what your "Jim" reference is all about, but I will assume that it''s some sort of inside union joke. But do you think AMFA would want to walk in when it looks like an entire maintenance base is getting ready to close down? They are breathing a sigh of relief that it''s taking so long to get the required number of signatures, lest THEY be the ones who might be expected to save a few jobs. But you know the battle cry....Anybody but <insert union name here>