Twu Local 514 Tul - New Admin Building

Buck

Veteran
Contributor
Aug 20, 2002
www.fairtax.org
It would appear that after the membership of TWU Local 514 voted not to build a new union hall at least twice, that the local is going to ignore its membership.

AA laying off hundreds at KC base
By D.R. STEWART World Staff Writer
4/8/2005

The news disheartened those gathered in Tulsa to break ground on a union hall.
American Airlines will lay off up to 600 of its 1,280 unionized mechanics at its Kansas City maintenance base in June as high fuel prices and competition from discount carriers delay a return to profitability.

American executives and union officials said Thursday there are no layoffs planned in Tulsa or Fort Worth.

About 6,000 mechanics work at American's Maintenance & Engineering Center in Tulsa. American's maintenance base in Fort Worth employs about 2,000 people.

Spokesmen for the Transport Workers Union in Kansas City, Mo., and Tulsa said it would be several weeks before American begins notifying workers of the layoffs and mechanics exercise options to transfer, take other positions or voluntarily retire.

"Our last work day here for mechanics who will be laid off will be June 10," said Gordon Clark, president of TWU Local 530 in Kansas City.

Because of seniority rights of TWU Local 514 mechanics in Tulsa and Local 567 mechanics in Fort Worth, no laid-off Kansas City mechanic will be able to "bump" Tulsa or Fort Worth mechanics out of a job, union executives said. Fort Worth mechanics
belong to TWU Local 567 at Alliance Airport.

The Kansas City mechanics are ex-TWA employees, formerly members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

After American acquired TWA in 2001, the TWU and the IAM went through arbitration to settle seniority issues. A federal arbitrator ruled that the former TWA mechanics have a seniority date of April 10, 2001.

"Because of the downsizing of the airline, nobody working in the AMT class (aircraft mechanic) in Tulsa or Alliance has seniority less than that," Clark said.

News of the impending layoffs in Kansas City disheartened members of Local 514 who gathered in Tulsa to break ground on a $2.3 million, 8,200-square-foot union hall. The building will go up next to the existing 6,000-square-foot hall on a 10-acre site at 11929 E. Pine St.

Terry Kerr, president of Kerr Design Group Inc. of Edmond, is the architect of the new union hall, which he called "technical, contemporary and energy-efficient."

An affiliated company, Kerr Construction Group, is the general contractor.

"This comes at a good time for us," TWU Local 514 President Dennis Burchette told about 20 union members and dignitaries. "The airline industry is in flux, and a lot of our members are concerned about our future.

"We hope the new facility shows that we have 50 years left here."

Oklahoma Secretary of Commerce and Tourism Kathy Taylor congratulated the union on behalf of Gov. Brad Henry. She said the new hall is emblematic of aerospace's leading role in Oklahoma's economy.

Mayor Bill LaFortune proclaimed Thursday as Local 514 day in Tulsa. He said he looks forward to the time when American's M&E base performs third-party maintenance for many companies.

"I have a vision of planes fly ing in here from all over the world," the mayor said. "It will benefit not only this company but companies throughout the city."

In a telephone interview, Burchette said he learned of the Kansas City layoffs during a conference call Wednesday.

"You could tell people's hearts were breaking," he said. "People were real quiet and somber. . . . My personal viewpoint is that we will weather this storm. Workers are doing everything they can to get processes streamlined and costs down."

The Kansas City workers were informed of the layoffs in a letter from David L. Campbell, vice president of Alliance/Kansas City base maintenance.

"American's original plan was to reactivate 28 parked MD-80s by the end of 2005," Campbell wrote. "As you know, deteriorating industry conditions have made it necessary to alter this plan. One aircraft was returned to the lessor, while seven former TWA MD-80s were not reactivated.

". . . Finally, the difficult decision was made to cancel reactivation plans for the . . . remaining aircraft, critically impacting MCI's (Kansas City's) workload."

Campbell said in the letter that the Kansas City base has attracted some third-party work but not enough to offset the lost MD-80 maintenance.

"Compounding our situation is that today, more so than ever before, the aircraft and engine maintenance business is very competitive," Campbell wrote. "There are several quality companies in the market whose cost structures are much lower than American's. It can be said that the competition in the maintenance, repair and overhaul segment of the industry is very similar to our airline competing with the low-cost carriers."

Clark recalled a time when he was making $25 an hour with great benefits at TWA.

"Our competitors in the maintenance world are paying less than that 15 years later, offering no medical benefits and a 401(k) that you pay into," he said. "This industry is in a heck of a mess."

American lost $821 million in 2004, down from a $1.3 billion loss in 2003 and a $3.49 billion loss in 2002.

U.S. airlines have lost an estimated $30 billion since 2001.

I think this is wonderful news :up: This has been a much needed improvement to better serve the members of Local 514. This will make way for a more useful facility to allow more capacity to meet the needs of the membership. The current facility will undergo some much needed improvements to allow for a better social enviroment that will not interfere with the business side of our Local. I look forward to the opening ceremonies of the new Administrative facility.

Great news :up: :up: :up:

twu-render.jpg

twu6.jpg

Democracy, twu style. Vote it down and we build it anyway. This same firm built the AFL-CIO new digs.

amfaman, Thanks for the photo's :up: Take notice of the wing shaped awnings to be placed over the entrances to the Administrative building, and the Meeting Hall.

"Pretty Cool", Huh :up: :up: :up:

High Speed Steel said:
amfaman, Thanks for the photo's :up: Take notice of the wing shaped awnings to be placed over the entrances to the Administrative building, and the Meeting Hall.

"Pretty Cool", Huh :up: :up: :up:
[post="261345"][/post]​

Yeah, should be a good buy on the foreclosure market come early next year. I'm sure AMFA Local 12 should pick up this $2.3 million building for say $230,000. Thanks for using up the 514 cash stash for the AMFA building of the future, us AMFA guys knew you cared. :p :p

Those wing shaped awnings almost rival the old JFK TWA terminal and the MCI hangar. ;) ;)

AMFAMAN said:
Yeah, should be a good buy on the foreclosure market come early next year. I'm sure AMFA Local 12 should pick up this $2.3 million building for say $230,000. Thanks for using up the 514 cash stash for the AMFA building of the future, us AMFA guys knew you cared. :p :p

Those wing shaped awnings almost rival the old JFK TWA terminal and the MCI hangar. ;) ;)
[post="261347"][/post]​

"Oh", I guess you were trying to be sarcastic with your posting of the photo's of the members new facility. Sorry, I must not have got your drift.....! I have a duplicate of your Loco 12's facility in my back yard! I would offer you a photo, but my son's dog is in there right now and she really does not like to have her picture taken :p

-----------------------------------------
amfa: The YUGO of the labor movement
Where bargaining means YOU GO, and then they will tear down your HOUSE...!

High Speed Steel said:
"Oh", I guess you were trying to be sarcastic with your posting of the photo's of the members new facility. Sorry, I must not have got your drift.....! I have a duplicate of your Loco 12's facility in my back yard! I would offer you a photo, but my son's dog is in there right now and she really does not like to have her picture taken :p

-----------------------------------------
amfa: The YUGO of the labor movement
Where bargaining means YOU GO, and then they will tear down your HOUSE...!
[post="261349"][/post]​

It is a good thing that the new building is being built, this will ensure that the Third Party work is not far behind.

Is the building big enough to house the members when there is a layoff?

[post="261360"][/post]​
[/quote]

"Duhhh", I dunno buck :blink:

"Lookythere", I can make lame remarks too :D

So let me get this straight.

The members control the union.

They control the union through their Local.

The members vote not to build a new union hall but it gets built anyway.

Seems that the members dont even control their Local, nevermind the Union.

It comes out that the firm doing the job, from drawing to erection has a business history with the AFL-CIO.

Sounds like maybe a few kickback deals are going on and the only way to complete the deal is if the unwanted building goes up.

This building is going to cost each member over $3800.

Just imaging what could have been done you help your laid off brothers and sisters with $2.3 million.

But it seems that Dennis has other priorities.

Maybe the same firm is doing a job on Dennis's house as part of the deal?

2.3 million dollars wasted on an unneeded new union hall. Why doesn't the TWU use that money to help the TWU MEMBERS financially that have been laid off?

High Speed Steel said:
[post="261360"][/post]​

[post="261365"][/post]​
[/quote]
Are the new digs gonna have a BBQ pit built in next to the 3.2 beer tap for the 514 twu bubba's ?

Hackman said:

[post="261365"][/post]​
Are the new digs gonna have a BBQ pit built in next to the 3.2 beer tap for the 514 twu bubba's ?
[post="261386"][/post]​
[/quote]

I don't know about the BBQ pit, but it sounds like a good idea :up:

Where is the beer tap? I could use a "cold one" :up:

I know you guy's are just jealous of the wing's for awnings thing! Tell you what, I know a guy that has a wrecked Biplane on his farm, and he may be willing to donate one of the wings to attatch to your Loco 12 dog house. Did I mention I have a pet Goose named "Delle" that is looking for a good home? He could make one heck of a mascot :p Honk/Honk :D :D :D

----------------------------
amfa: The YUGO, we GO, they all GO
Of the labor movement :p

Don't be so quick to be a smart a$$ high speed there are stores people as well as twu supporting mechanics that are questioning the decision to go against the memberships vote (twice) to not build a new union hall. Nothing like being slapped in the face with dictatorship to wake a red blooded american up. This could get interesting!

scorpion said:
Don't be so quick to be a smart a$$ high speed there are stores people as well as twu supporting mechanics that are questioning the decision to go against the memberships vote (twice) to not build a new union hall. Nothing like being slapped in the face with dictatorship to wake a red blooded american up. This could get interesting!
[post="261416"][/post]​

I just wonder when the local leadership will come out with the brown shirts?

Latest posts