TWU; "Members Not Welcome"

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
NO!!!

While there are some trustworthy individuals on the committee the committee as a whole cannot be trusted. The International run committee has decided to lock out the membership from the process and is using bullying tactics-the threat of expulsion from the talks, to keep the membership out. Ironically the same International always complains about the lack of membership participation and blames the demise of working conditions on that lack of participation. The hypocrisy is overwhelming. This move, typical for the TWU, is just yet another example of the autocratic hypocritcal nature of this organization.

There can be times when its justified to temporarily keep secrets from the membership-such as if you don’t want the company to find out what your plans are for some reason or another-but in this case the company has been informed of the committees propsals so telling the members wouldnt do any harm. So what’s the excuse? John Iuliano,President of Local 562 and representative of maintenance for the mechanics at Local 562, claims “The committee(he defers all blame to the committee but then tells us about what a man he is) doesn’t want the members to negotiate the contract on the floorâ€. What does he mean by that? Most of the articles have tentative agreements and the company already has the unions proposals on the rest, so what damage could letting the members know what they are asking for do to the “processâ€? Unless “the process†is to sneak through another TWU concessionary contract?

Recently Iuliano, said that even though he feels as we do and if he were still just a member he would be outraged, “As a man I gave my word†that he would do whatever the committee dictated even though he knew it was wrong. Agreeing to do what you know is wrong is not being a man-its being a coward or a sellout. So what is he a coward or a sellout? Is he doing as he has done from day one in office-jumping though every hoop the International holds up because he is afraid of being removed by the International or is he trying to set himself up for one of those six figure International jobs like Gordon, Gless, Videtich and Conley? I dont think he is a coward. Got knews for you John there is no room at the Inn, the TWUs payroll is already inflated and if Little wants to get reelected at the next convention he has to bring someone who does not come from AMR into the International.

I could give Iuliano a pass on agreeing not to disclose the contents of the proposal until they gave them to the company but I can not give him a pass on agreeing to not disclose what the proposals are after they gave them to the company.

What I find utterly reprehensible is the fact that Iuliano agreed to not even disclose how he voted on keeping the information secret. This is a typical International tactic to keep complete control of the committee in their hands and out of the memberships hands. The International knows how each member of the committee votes and can work to isolate and compromise those who oppose their lead, by keeping it secret from the membership it prevents those who lick the Internationals boots from being revealed ,and held accountable , to the membership they supposedly represent. In other words it helps the International eliminates opposition. Opponents of International sellouts have a much harder time defending those who they represent as they face unrelenting pressure from the International and their lackeys to submit to their will when they cant get support from the floor. Thats what they mean by "We dont want the members to negotiate from the floor". In other words we should have no say in the process.

There is no reason for us to trust the negotiating committee. The committee apparently trusts the company more than they trust us. The committee keep secrets with the company and keep us out of the loop. The committee is supposed to be representing us, not the International nor the company, it asks for our blind support but has done nothing do deserve or prove that it should be trusted with such support.

Bob,

Stupid is as Stupid Does.

But with the company willing to back the lapdog union with all legal funds required in the event of a representation dispute, why not exclude the members and keep secrets with management? There is no threat to stop them from doing so.

Since they will not tell us, maybe should start a VOTE NO on secret tentative agreements campaign.

Slogan:

"If we don't know - we will vote no"

I have always said "you are either part of the solution or part of the problem". President Iuliano has demonstrated his ability to assimilate with the problem. The TWU International and the Presidents council has once again put themselves above the members they represent. Why do we elect people to represent us when we are not in the process at all? Thanks Mr. Owens for telling it like it is.

Why do we elect people to represent us when we are not in the process at all?
Elected ?
The local "good'ole boy" process is not a legal election.
Same goes for the International unelected Tyrants.

TYRANT :
In modern usage a tyrant is a single ruler holding vast, if not absolute power through a state or in an organization.
The term carries modern connotations of a harsh and cruel ruler who places their own interests or the interests of a small oligarchy over the best interests of the general population which they govern or control.
However, in the classical sense, the word simply means one who has taken power by their own means as opposed to hereditary or constitutional power (and generally without the modern connotations).
This mode of rule is referred to as tyranny.
Many individual rulers or government officials are accused of tyranny, with the label almost always a matter of controversy.

Is he doing as he has done from day one in office-jumping though every hoop the International holds up because he is afraid of being removed by the International or is he trying to set himself up for one of those six figure International jobs like Gordon, Gless, Videtich and Conley?

Don't forget Gillespie and McCoy.

I have always said "you are either part of the solution or part of the problem". President Iuliano has demonstrated his ability to assimilate with the problem. The TWU International and the Presidents council has once again put themselves above the members they represent. Why do we elect people to represent us when we are not in the process at all? Thanks Mr. Owens for telling it like it is.
Time to throw the bums out once again, not sure why Miami would re-elect Woodward.... :down:

DFW is going to clean house with this summers elections. :up:

Time to throw the bums out once again, not sure why Miami would re-elect Woodward.... :down:

DFW is going to clean house with this summers elections. :up:

I was told that Woodward only got 150 or so votes. Their are over 600 members in Miami. Over 200 did not even cast a ballot. You get what you deserve. Less than 25% of the membership voted for Woodward. I checked Local 561 websites and non of the incumbents ran for reelection except for Woodward and he only got 25% of the memberships support. I believe Miami has some big problems on their hands.

Bob,

Stupid is as Stupid Does.

But with the company willing to back the lapdog union with all legal funds required in the event of a representation dispute, why not exclude the members and keep secrets with management? There is no threat to stop them from doing so.

Since they will not tell us, maybe should start a VOTE NO on secret tentative agreements campaign.

Slogan:

"If we don't know - we will vote no"

You are right Stupid is as Stupid does- And...the membership is stupid, and they don't do one thing to remedy the problem. They don't organize, to oust the TWU. They sit back and complain, just like workers on a plantation, (did anybody say Fleet Service?, it is good to have a strong back and weak mind) Why that is exactly why American hired who they did. They weren't stupid, anybody that could walk, talk on a cell phone, and buy a Big cadillac- Hay stupid is as stupid does. The Union is weak, and they (TWU) allowed it. Now would be the best time to get people educated, and get rid of these guys- Because, we aren't getting anything back..........Wake the F-up !

TYRANT :
In modern usage a tyrant is a single ruler holding vast, if not absolute power through a state or in an organization.
The term carries modern connotations of a harsh and cruel ruler who places their own interests or the interests of a small oligarchy over the best interests of the general population which they govern or control.
However, in the classical sense, the word simply means one who has taken power by their own means as opposed to hereditary or constitutional power (and generally without the modern connotations).
This mode of rule is referred to as tyranny.
Many individual rulers or government officials are accused of tyranny, with the label almost always a matter of controversy.

You have just described George W. Bush in every detail. Perhaps in the future, you'll look up the meaning of the word "tyrant" in the dictionary and it will simply say . . . George W. Bush!

You have just described George W. Bush in every detail. Perhaps in the future, you'll look up the meaning of the word "tyrant" in the dictionary and it will simply say . . . George W. Bush!

And how does this pertain to the current discussion of aa/twu negotiations? :blink:

You are right Stupid is as Stupid does- And...the membership is stupid, and they don't do one thing to remedy the problem. They don't organize, to oust the TWU. They sit back and complain, just like workers on a plantation, (did anybody say Fleet Service?, it is good to have a strong back and weak mind) Why that is exactly why American hired who they did. They weren't stupid, anybody that could walk, talk on a cell phone, and buy a Big cadillac- Hay stupid is as stupid does. The Union is weak, and they (TWU) allowed it. Now would be the best time to get people educated, and get rid of these guys- Because, we aren't getting anything back..........Wake the F-up !

You sound like just the guy to start the next card drive and become the chairman of the organizing committee.

Let me know when and where the first meeting is that you schedule.

Quit using the word "they" and stand up and start the organization yourself.

This URL goes to an article in the Wall Street Journal and describes what a couple of unions are doing to ensure their survival with no thought re: the benefit those who pay their dues.

Sounds rather like the TWU and their top-secret meetings with management. Cut and paste if the link doesn't work.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1210381224...s_us_whats_news

You sound like just the guy to start the next card drive and become the chairman of the organizing committee.

Let me know when and where the first meeting is that you schedule.

Quit using the word "they" and stand up and start the organization yourself.

The problem would be in selecting a union to represent us. The amfa was beginning to get some sympathy from me until they began to solicit membership (and dues) from the scabs that took the previous amfa members' jobs at NWA. That's not exactly the quality of leadership I want in my representation nor do many others, I suspect.

The drop in union membership nationwide seems to be causing many unions to go into survival mode, making deals with the devil to preserve their status quo and damn their respective memberships' benefit, all to continue the dues flow into their head offices.

The TWU invented secret agreements long before this information broke. But the TWU secrecy is so solod nobody knew they existed so the media never reported on the secrets.

You have to love the below quote from the article though...

The agreements are raising questions about union transparency and workers' rights. A summary document put together by the unions says it is critical to the success of the partnership "that we honor the confidentiality and not publicly disclose the existence of these agreements." That includes not disclosing them to union members.