TWU Negotiations A Failed Strategy

TWU informer

Veteran
Nov 4, 2003
After patiently watching and waiting for the TWU to accomplish a conclusion to negotiations that would meet membership needs. A review of the strategy is in order.

I am sure you don't have to be reminded that we are all still looking at a bi-weekly paycheck that is 17.5% less than pre-restructuring agreement of 2003 or better yet referenced as the James C. Little's "Without Further Ratification" agreement after claiming a re-vote is required to have a credible agreement. In addition we have been looking at continuous raises in medical premiums along with refused or exluded benefit coverage which is further eroding your pay and quality of living status and we are all still enjoy less Holidays than Management and other Union personell on AA property.

Let's review the negotiations strategy to date.

I would begin with the Dennis Burchette claim during the CNBC aired video special regarding the TWU Working Together and the now infamous "Pajama Party". I remember vividly his claim that we were going to fill the company pockets with money and once filled, he was going to reach in there and get us some of the cash. I remember the TWU/AA hats that proclaimed $500 millions in savings "and I helped". I remember a chicken sandwhich.

Shortly after we were delivered the polo and t-shirts with the TWU 2008 Contract Negotiations Logo. We were asked to wear them on Wednesday's and show unity and strength. Then Burchette runs off to another appointment to the TWU International which be blew once again. Leaving behind the Working Together Union busting scheme that has left an already docile union with nothing more than threats and bluffs to try to gain advancement for the membership.

Then of course we have two (2) Steve Luis meetings on the ramp in Tulsa telling us how we were not going to use old union tactics to get a contract and that we all needed to work our very hardest and very best to prove we were worthy of a great contract. We were going to get third party work and become a world class MRO provider. Luis, another Cheer Leader of Working Together left much to be desired in Union Leadership.

I believe the initial TWU Contract Proposal equated to restore plus 10%, and that was over 2 1/2 years ago. But at this time we were in double secret negotiations and nobody in the membership actually saw this proposal.

Then we had the rally at Headquarters where by the TWU faithful burned over sized fake bonus money and screamed and yelled their displeasure with management bonuses.

We watch full page ads ran in national and local newspapers decrying the failed shared sacrifice claim made by AA Management.

Then we enjoyed the Presidential Election with TWU claims that Obama and the Democrats would grant us a favorable NMB Mediator. Millions in dues money pumped into campaigns and we still wait for that favorable NMB. Waiting so long that many Democrats now thrown from Office.

Next we witnessed the request/bluff for a 30 day cooling off period. With the company simply responding that the TWU has not even taken a Strike Vote before requesting such action. We were all made fools in front of the public. The TWU bluff was called and we were backed into a corner of failure.

Then we watch our negotiators attend an 11 day super negotiation session in which only 5 days in Luis and Company bring back an inferior agreement that is rejected by 2/3rds of the membership. As a fear tactic the International attaches a Strike Vote to the ratification in an attempt to sell that which was inadequate. Local President of the largest AA System Local 514 calls members C.A.V.E. men and tells them to keep their pie-holes shut as the movement against ratification began.

Then we had Local Elections and had to start over with new negotiators.We paid for them to attend a couple of strategy sessions and they exclaim they are ready to contact the NMB. They are so embarrased they refuse to tell you that the NMB rejected further sessions until after the first of the year.

Now we have the TWU meeting with other unions on the property comparing notes and talking.

This list of faillures will soon be longer than the long list of concessions made by the TWU over the last 25 years.

At some point, this membership has to have had their fill, they must stand up and tell the TWU Leadership and AA Mangement that enough is enough. Until that time, expect more rhetorical and meaningless manuevers while they hope each of you forget the above history of the failed strategy.

Just Saying....

Can we expect anything different when we use the same so called strategy time and time again? Are we not insane for keeping TWU?

Let's AMP the RAAMP!

A couple of corrections/clarifications;

I believe the initial TWU Contract Proposal equated to restore plus 10%, and that was over 2 1/2 years ago. But at this time we were in double secret negotiations and nobody in the membership actually saw this proposal.

The proposal was available, in full text, along with all the TAs on the negotiations website. aa.twu.org

Next we witnessed the request/bluff for a 30 day cooling off period. With the company simply responding that the TWU has not even taken a Strike Vote before requesting such action. We were all made fools in front of the public. The TWU bluff was called and we were backed into a corner of failure.

The NMB denied the request, a strike vote was taken at Local meetings back in 2007,I believe.

We showed the company that we can reject a concessionary contract, next is to let them know that we are willing to fight for a fair one. Talk "strike" within an earshot of management. Get any medical proceedures that you have been putting off done now(why not spend the Holidays at home recouperating?), and build up(if possible) your cash reserves. The company was shocked that we actually said "NO" but that doesnt mean that they are convinced that we are willing to fight, and if we arent then we cant expect to make gains. We need to realiize that the things we want were not won through "Working Together", that doesnt prove that you are worth more, it proves that you are satisfied with getting less. The company will only give up what they feel they must, not what we think they should. The things we want back were won through either strikes or the very real threat of one. If we are not prepared to do that, and the company knows it, then dont expect things to get better, accept that they will get worse.

Bob,

In my opinion just because the TWU put you up front and center in the process, nothing changed. I still see it the same way. I am ready though, let's see you get the better deal for us without taking so long that any gains you get are not offest by further loss of retro pay. Jim Little put you in charge and backed off, now let's see you put all that talk into real action.

The proposal was not available at the beginning of the process at all.

And your clarification that the NMB denied the request for a cooling off period does not differ from my post. And the company did file a response using the lack of a strike in which the NMB apparently agreed. Local Union meeting strike votes early in the process that include less than 1/10th the membership are not sufficient and you know it.

we will be lucky if we hear anything in the next 6months this whole thing is a bunch of BS

they are comparing notes ,the hell with your notes and the nmb, contact the company and it hammered out

At American, where contract negotiations have dragged on for years, union leaders should have concentrated on getting money into members' pockets sooner rather than holding out for a bigger payday, he said.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/11/09/2618796/deltas-vote-against-unionizing.html#ixzz14vIlQBTP

Couldn't have said it better.

I know there are a lot of hardcore union guys here, but times have changed, with the republicans on the rise and the economy still stagnent, the government will not be union friendly for a long time.

At American, where contract negotiations have dragged on for years, union leaders should have concentrated on getting money into members' pockets sooner rather than holding out for a bigger payday, he said.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/11/09/2618796/deltas-vote-against-unionizing.html#ixzz14vIlQBTP

Couldn't have said it better.

I know there are a lot of hardcore union guys here, but times have changed, with the republicans on the rise and the economy still stagnent, the government will not be union friendly for a long time.
good article right up to the last sentence

The union should be spending that time with the rank and file, reinforcing one message more than any other: The only one way to protect your job and earn more pay and benefits is to be part of a stronger company

Well we have and do work with the company to improve things

thanks for the candy bar

we will be lucky if we hear anything in the next 6months this whole thing is a bunch of BS

they are comparing notes ,the hell with your notes and the nmb, contact the company and it hammered out

With the NO vote I personally gave up the $4000.00+ signing bonus and about $580.00 per month in pay increase so we can go save the profession.

Previous to that loss, I spent 5 years of my life and over $15,000.00 trying to get AMFA on the property to "save the profession" while following some of the same players I see in control today. Guess where that got us?

Now Bob Owens and the boys are going to save the profession within the Constraints of TWU Unionism and the TWU Constitution.

I can hardly wait to see how much this attempt at saving the profession is going to cost me. The TWU International has stepped back, and now the NO VOTE advocates are in the drivers seat. So in the end there wont be any blaming the TWU International. This should be good a show to watch with our careers and futures hanging in the balance. A miserably divided and weak union with some radicals in charge.

I suspect that saving the profession is going to cost some folks their jobs and their futures. If it ends up being mine, I will be seeking revenge.

Dont forget to have your medical procedures done right away per Bob's advice. That combined with a new slogan or two should really show 'em. I'm out, after two previous surgeries drained my sick bank and the TWU gave away any chance of building that bank back sufficient, I will have to show up while the rest of you burn your sick time and somehow "save your money" as Bob has also suggested. Recently Bob has claimed we are living in poverty. Now he thinks we should get medical procedures that will cost you at least $1500.00 and at the same time save up some cash. Pretty damn tricky for someone living in poverty and working two jobs to be able to have a medical procedure with piss poor insurance coverage and at the same time save money. :blink: Logically, this doesn't compute to me

good article right up to the last sentence

The union should be spending that time with the rank and file, reinforcing one message more than any other: The only one way to protect your job and earn more pay and benefits is to be part of a stronger company

Well we have and do work with the company to improve things

thanks for the candy bar

And here in Tulsa at the next meeting, we're going to vote on to stop this working together stuff.

Our crew talked with Larry Pike for about an hour on Tues. He explained the SIX member 'POINT' Team of the negotiation committee and their present focus. This team has put together another proposal that will cost AMR $900+Million a year, where the last p o s T/A had a cost of some $384Million a year. Larry has asked to meet with the NMB PRIOR to a 13 DEC mtg with AMRs negotiators. Larry wants to keep M&R AHEAD of the APFA & APA in the negotiations merry-go-round. This new proposal is a modified 2001 TWU-AMR contract with a few new side dishes, like a BASE PREMIUM for AMTs & OSMs, increased 2nd & 3rd shift differtential pays along with a WEEK END pay. Back are the PAID Lunches, PENALTY Hour and Overtime LUNCH/ Missed Lunch pay. The FIRST item on that agenda is JOB PROTECTION (READ: NO SPIN-OFF of Heavy Maint.)!! I did NOT hear about a 'ME TOO' Claus for pay increases!
'Nuff for now!

Our crew talked with Larry Pike for about an hour on Tues. He explained the SIX member 'POINT' Team of the negotiation committee and their present focus. This team has put together another proposal that will cost AMR $900+Million a year, where the last p o s T/A had a cost of some $384Million a year. Larry has asked to meet with the NMB PRIOR to a 13 DEC mtg with AMRs negotiators. Larry wants to keep M&R AHEAD of the APFA & APA in the negotiations merry-go-round. This new proposal is a modified 2001 TWU-AMR contract with a few new side dishes, like a BASE PREMIUM for AMTs & OSMs, increased 2nd & 3rd shift differtential pays along with a WEEK END pay. Back are the PAID Lunches, PENALTY Hour and Overtime LUNCH/ Missed Lunch pay. The FIRST item on that agenda is JOB PROTECTION (READ: NO SPIN-OFF of Heavy Maint.)!! I did NOT hear about a 'ME TOO' Claus for pay increases!
'Nuff for now!

That's some of what I am hearing as well. Long overdue if you ask me.

Don't worry about all those medical procedures. As TWU-I said, the deductibles will kill you faster than whatever you're fixing... Besides, Obama care is going to pay for it, right?

And here in Tulsa at the next meeting, we're going to vote on to stop this working together stuff.
It's about time we did this - with RLG and Overland on the property the company hardly needs input from the floor - they never paid any attention anyway except for show.

I rarely bother to go to union meetings but for this vote, I will make an exception. If the company actually wants input and direction from those who maintain the aircraft and associated systems, they can send the aforementioned management groups home and start listening, otherwise, let the devils in Centrepork do the jobs they're paid to do - but can't.

'Nuff for now!
american pie for the M&R 384 million, now we are going to ask to double that pie plus a little more lol. Do we have a meeting with AMR negotiators on DEC 13 ? this must be part of the better informer union, first i'm hearing about it.

Weekend pay you have to be kidding you work a 40 hour week. Last checked I think I get .01cents for 2nd shift. What's the BASE PREMIUM?

who is RLG and overland?

Latest posts