TWU Rejects offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

getreal

Jul 23, 2008
TWU rejects American Airlines' latest contract offer
5:25 PM Fri, Sep 19, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Terry Maxon E-mail News tips

The Transport Workers Union says it has turned down a contract proposal from American Airlines for three of its bargaining units -- fleet service clerks, stores employees and mechanics and related employees. From the TWU hotline:

The company passed all three committees a comprehensive proposal that contained numerous concessions that were not proposed in the prior comprehensive proposal in May. All three committees unanimously rejected the company proposal."

The mechanics and related negotiators had given American a proposal in late August, so we presume this was the company's counter to that group.

TWU and American came close to working out a short-term deal in May. While some of TWU's bargaining units were favoring the proposal, the company said all seven bargaining units had to accept or there was no deal. So there was no deal.

It will be intresting what the AMT's proposal was. Because if it was anything like FSC's, it would be a slap in the face. I am one here that did not want everything back from 2003, because I realize it does take time, in the current unstable wnviroment. But to give this proposal to these work groups is just down right assinine. I can now understand why some union members have such hate for the comapany management. Down right sad.

And on Monday Morning if not sooner, the TWU will be back to kissing the company arse and working together diligently.

What are the odds, additional concessions not contained in the previous proposal? :rolleyes:

Just remember at the end of the day we control our own destiny. If it's unacceptable we can always wildcat. Grassroots movements are always the scariest thing in corporate America. TWU doesn't control our fate at the end of the day if we stand up for ourselves.

It will be intresting what the AMT's proposal was. Because if it was anything like FSC's, it would be a slap in the face. I am one here that did not want everything back from 2003, because I realize it does take time, in the current unstable wnviroment. But to give this proposal to these work groups is just down right assinine. I can now understand why some union members have such hate for the comapany management. Down right sad.

It takes time?

It didnt take them long to take it away and so far we have gone 5 years and the company hasnt seen fit to give back anything, not even taking away the holiday penalty of having to work for half pay on the holiday and the week of vacation. Those are concessions that nobody else ever had.

The airline enviornment has always been unstable.

RESTORE AND MORE!

TWU rejects American Airlines' latest contract offer
5:25 PM Fri, Sep 19, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Terry Maxon E-mail News tips

The Transport Workers Union says it has turned down a contract proposal from American Airlines for three of its bargaining units -- fleet service clerks, stores employees and mechanics and related employees. From the TWU hotline:

The company passed all three committees a comprehensive proposal that contained numerous concessions that were not proposed in the prior comprehensive proposal in May. All three committees unanimously rejected the company proposal."

The mechanics and related negotiators had given American a proposal in late August, so we presume this was the company's counter to that group.

TWU and American came close to working out a short-term deal in May. While some of TWU's bargaining units were favoring the proposal, the company said all seven bargaining units had to accept or there was no deal. So there was no deal.

The negotiating committee remembers from 2003 what can happen if a contract voted on is voted down by the membership.

For this reason alone I'd be rather careful of what I brought back also.

The negotiating committee remembers from 2003 what can happen if a contract voted on is voted down by the membership.

For this reason alone I'd be rather careful of what I brought back also.

Has anyone seeen the proposal the AMT's recieved....

It takes time?

It didnt take them long to take it away and so far we have gone 5 years and the company hasnt seen fit to give back anything, not even taking away the holiday penalty of having to work for half pay on the holiday and the week of vacation. Those are concessions that nobody else ever had.

The airline enviornment has always been unstable.

RESTORE AND MORE!

Agreed. The negotiating committee needs to shove a proposal at the company that restores everything we had and also a big raise. We also need to begin picketing and working by the rules.

Has anyone seeen the proposal the AMT's recieved....
Its on th local 567 website dawg. I agree with some other posters. Lets file for mediation NOW. The company is obviously not serious in bargaining with anyone.

View attachment 7919
I would say that the mechanics have a lot of room to negotiate even with AA's skewed numbers. They had to include Midnight Retention pay just to get us up to 5th out of 10!!
Every other work group on the AAnegotiations.com page is either first or second highest.
AA better start negotiating fairly or the aluminum will start stacking up soon. My fellow techinicians, after 5 and a half years of pulling together it is now time to win together!! :angry: :angry: :angry:
View attachment 7920

JMHO

Pay is only one of the many components of compensation. There are tangible and intangible benefits that may simply not be there if one does not plan accordingly.

Tangible (covered by a CBA):
Pay ( including all premiums, shift, longevity, etc)
Monthly Insurance premiums not covered/partially subsidized by the company (medical dental, LTD, etc…)
Vacation

Intangible ( what is offered but not covered by a CBA):
Flight benefits
Retiree medical subsidy

The Intangible benefits can be modified at pretty much the whim of the company.

Here is the really ‘sticky’ part that should be concrete (but is not):
Pension

Defined Benefit:
So what do you do about that? I stayed with the Lazy’U for over 20 years waiting for that promise and I think all here can speculate as to how that turned out. :down:

IMHO: Never (and I repeat NEVER) take stock in lieu of compensation!

Good Luck Guys N’Gals! :up:

Take Care,
B) xUAL_TECH

P.S.
UA gets $1.34 cents for 'skill pay' that is not in the chart. Maybe a misc. column should be added.

Its on th local 567 website dawg. I agree with some other posters. Lets file for mediation NOW. The company is obviously not serious in bargaining with anyone.

I just tried to look and it said 404 file error site could not be found? Why am I just not surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts