Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
------------------------------------------------------

For further information contact:

For immediate release Jamie Horwitz, 202/549-4921

April 17, 2007 [email protected]

TWU Launches “Online Picket Lineâ€

Against Corporate Greed at American Airlines

Union circulates online petition, purchases Web-based advertisements and blasts email to hundreds of thousands of air travelers, shareholders, union activists and other citizens to draw attention to inequity of AA executives splitting nearly $200 million stock windfall while employee “partners†get nothing.

Union also to join lobbying effort for Congressional limits

on executive compensation.

DALLAS – While American Airlines’ flight attendants and pilots will be holding rallies and setting up traditional picket lines this week to protest the airline’s award of at least $177 million in stock to corporate executives, TWU members and their allies will let their fingers do the walking on an “online picket line.†The Transport Workers Union (TWU) which represents 27,000 American employees, more workers than any other union at the company, has launched an online petition and is blasting emails to shareholders, customers and allies in consumer groups and other unions. A link to the petition can be found at http://go.care2.com/9425295 .

“Our goal is to create a viral campaign on the Internet where thousand of individuals who find corporate greed as outrageous as we do will join a national conversation, send protest messages to the company and help us lobby for limits on executive compensation through Congressional action,†said TWU International President James C. Little. In addition to circulating its petition and sending emails, the union will spread its message through Google Ad Words and other forms of online advertising.

-- m o r e --

TWU Launches Online Picket Line Against Corporate Greed at American/ Page 2

This week, HR 1257, a bill introduced by Rep. Barney Frank D-Mass., to provide shareholders with an advisory vote on executive compensation, will be debated on the floor of the House of Representatives. “American Airlines has become the poster child for HR 1257,†Little said. “American’s executives are taking an amount equal to about 80 percent of the company’s 2006 profits, while awarding employees nothing. These are the same corporate leaders that told workers ‘share the pain and share in the gain.’ We’re going to make sure members of Congress know what’s going on at American,†he added.

Through its partnership with the company, TWU members have generated hundreds of millions of dollars in recurring cost savings and more than $100 million in new revenue since 2003. South American airlines and competing U.S. carriers are now flying their planes to American’s U.S. facilities for repairs. Projections for new revenue related to the partnership are $100 million in 2007 and $175 million in 2008.

The union sent a proposal March 15 to the company asking it to award its “partners†with stock or provide compensation for dilution of shares already held due to the large management reward scheduled for April 18. On that date, a select few company managers will split at least $177 million in stock. The annual profit for American Airlines in 2006 was $231 million. The company formally rejected the TWU proposal last week and refused to discuss any alternatives.

Unlike the pilots’ and flight attendants’ unions at American, TWU represents more than 100,000 workers at other airlines and in other areas of transportation. The union plans to reach out to members outside of American with its online picket line.

“Flight attendants at Southwest are stunned by the greed of these American executives,†said Thom McDaniel president of TWU Local 556 which represents 9,000 flight attendants at Southwest Airlines. “Through a true shared commitment between management and labor, our company remained profitable and continued to grow even in the worst days following 9-11. Southwest’s CEO Gary Kelly scored

-- m o r e --

TWU Launches Online Picket Line Against Corporate Greed at American/ Page 3

millions of dollars in savings by hedging oil better than executives at any other airline. Instead of going to war with unions, our executives are paid fair salaries and bonuses and employees share in the profits. Our execs, as successful as they are, only make a fraction of what Mr. Arpey and the rest of his gang across town at American are taking from the cash register.â€

Transport Workers Union of America (TWU) represents 130,000 workers, primarily in commercial aviation, public transportation and passenger railroads. More than half the union’s membership works for commercial airlines. The union is an affiliate of the AFL-CIO.

-- 30 --

“online picket lineâ€￾

Maybe this is a dry run for the great twu strike. I guess they would want us to walk the picket line on our computer, and then scab and help out their friends (compAAny) at the airport. :shock:

Perhaps a little late, but in an interesting twist, Southwest's flight attendants are joining AA's picket lines. Yes, they're represented by the TWU.

It's already up to 300 signatures. Perhaps it will get up into the thousands by tomorrow.

Perhaps a little late, but in an interesting twist, Southwest's flight attendants are joining AA's picket lines. Yes, they're represented by the TWU.

It's already up to 300 signatures. Perhaps it will get up into the thousands by tomorrow.

Way to go, eolesen! Keep knocking AA employees' intent to show our dissatisfaction with AA corporate greed.
Maybe your manager will let you wash his/her new Mercedes that he/she buys with his/her payout!

Hey maybe they;ll let you drive it when you are running errands for them!

Way to go, eolesen! Keep knocking AA employees' intent to show our dissatisfaction with AA corporate greed.

Hopeless, go read any of my comments on this issue before making an ass out of yourself. My name is on the petition already. Is yours?

My point in saying it was too late is that the AMR board meets tomorrow morning. Had there been 10,000 names (or more) already, perhaps there would have been some sliver of hope that they'd see the discontent over this was not going to just go away, and perhaps back down from issuing the bonuses.

The time for showing unity on this issue was four weeks ago, not the day before the payouts.

Hopeless, go read any of my comments on this issue before making an ass out of yourself. My name is on the petition already. Is yours?

My point in saying it was too late is that the AMR board meets tomorrow morning. Had there been 10,000 names (or more) already, perhaps there would have been some sliver of hope that they'd see the discontent over this was not going to just go away, and perhaps back down from issuing the bonuses.

The time for showing unity on this issue was four weeks ago, not the day before the payouts.

You are the one who has made an ass out of yourself because NOTHING I have read here from you has shown your ABSOLUTE disgust with corporate greed. It doesn't matter when you show the company public displays of disapproval because the executives HAVE NO SHAME! As long as it is shown!

What is your raise this May, eolesen?

Mine is $.43 an hour!

And spare me the "THE UNION SHOULD HAVE NEGOTIATED A BETTER CONTRACT FOR YOU" mantra. The TWU only cares about union dues, not quality of life and compensation issues!

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalys...E&cm_ite=NA

Ummm, he no longer works for AA. He talks about that all the time.

Ummmmmmmm...for a guy who is so supportive of AA management, why oh who would he live this wonderful company?

Ummmmmmmm...for a guy who is so supportive of AA management, why oh who would he live this wonderful company?

If you'd read his posts on this website on the PUP/PSP payouts, you'd know that he's actually on your side on this one. he's posted as much several times. No wonder you guys can't make any progress against AA - you can't even keep the scorecard straight.

You are the one who has made an ass out of yourself because NOTHING I have read here from you has shown your ABSOLUTE disgust with corporate greed.

Perhaps you don't read enough. I showed the ultimate form of disgust with senior management -- I left.

Specific to the bonuses, I've said for the past 14 months that the formula is flawed, and that the only time bonuses should be paid out is when they're done across the board. I've also said that profit sharing shouldn't be based on a percentage of salary, but instead be the same amount whether or not you're a first year FSC or a thirty year vice president.

Here are a few comments from the last week or so:
  • "Personally, I still believe in the core tenets behind the turnaround plan, but have no faith in the executive team's ability to follow the very doctrine they were expecting middle management and front line employees to follow. That's why I left. I couldn't trust my own leader's ability to do right by me, so why should I expect them to have done what's right for the people I was responsible for?

If I still lived in Texas, even I'd join the picket lines.

The letter of an agreement is all that matters when it comes to an arbitration or court proceeding, but to violate the intent of the agreement is far more dangerous since it engenders ill-will with employees, which exactly is what AMR has done two years in a row.

Sorry if that's not name calling, jumping up and down, or shouting in caps, but I'm just as disgusted as anyone else on this issue. Even moreso, since I can't walk into my VP's office and say it to their face, which is essentially what I did last year.

What is your raise this May, eolesen?

It will be more than yours, since I work for a company that has an operating margin of between 30% and 40%, and everyone from the janitor to the CEO got the same cost of living increase of around 3%. I'm hiring a programmer right now, so if you'd like that same opportunity to get regular cost of living increases, and have a background in object oriented programming, drop me a PM and we can chat offline...

If you'd read his posts on this website on the PUP/PSP payouts, you'd know that he's actually on your side on this one. he's posted as much several times. No wonder you guys can't make any progress against AA - you can't even keep the scorecard straight.

ONCE AGAIN, I will tell you what my problem is with these execs getting "theirs."
Prior to concessions, there were no arguments about their compensation..Maybe a discussion or argument among co-workers, but nothing like you see and hear today.
The defense that they shared in the sacrifice is over exaggerated. You cannot compare them to any other company. Each company is unique. But the fact that they SHARE in these payouts while the rest of us get peanuts is APPALLING.

I COULD GIVE A RAT'S ASS THAT THEY ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CORPORATE GREED FRATERNITY. Between last year's and this year's payouts, they got everything that they lost BACK AND THEN SOME...

The rest of us have to smile while we get 1.5% a year and be constantly reminded how lucky we are to have jobs and if we don't like it, we have the option of leaving. But when an executive expresses his unhappiness with his/her compensation, he/she does not get told by Arpey or the BOD, "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT AT AA, YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO LEAVE" or "YOU ARE LUCKY TO HAVE A JOB."
No, they just get a nice raise and performance payout so AA doesn't lose the KEY talent to the competition.

They said there would be shared sacrifice and it appears to have just been a slogan.

And thanks anyway for the opportunity. But I have been a mechanic for over 30 years. I enjoy what I do, but do not care for the way we had to walk the walk while they just did the talk.

ONCE AGAIN, I will tell you what my problem is with these execs getting "theirs."
Prior to concessions, there were no arguments about their compensation..Maybe a discussion or argument among co-workers, but nothing like you see and hear today.
The defense that they shared in the sacrifice is over exaggerated. You cannot compare them to any other company. Each company is unique. But the fact that they SHARE in these payouts while the rest of us get peanuts is APPALLING.

I COULD GIVE A RAT'S ASS THAT THEY ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CORPORATE GREED FRATERNITY. Between last year's and this year's payouts, they got everything that they lost BACK AND THEN SOME...

The rest of us have to smile while we get 1.5% a year and be constantly reminded how lucky we are to have jobs and if we don't like it, we have the option of leaving. But when an executive expresses his unhappiness with his/her compensation, he/she does not get told by Arpey or the BOD, "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT AT AA, YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO LEAVE" or "YOU ARE LUCKY TO HAVE A JOB."
No, they just get a nice raise and performance payout so AA doesn't lose the KEY talent to the competition.
They said there would be shared sacrifice and it appears to have just been a slogan.
And thanks anyway for the opportunity. But I have been a mechanic for over 30 years. I enjoy what I do, but do not care for the way we had to walk the walk while they just did the talk.

Hopeful, Sign the petition.....